It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gunmen Kill at Least 20 Students in Nigeria...It May be as High as 40

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 07:08 AM
link   
This is absolutely disturbing and probably will not get much attention since it did not happen in Europe or North America. This is breaking so the facts aren't quite clear yet.

At least 20 students have been shot dead by unknown gunmen in Mubi, north-eastern Nigeria, a police source has told the BBC.

The attack happened at a student hostel away from the Federal Polytechnic Mubi campus, the source said.

A lecturer told the BBC that more than 40 students had been killed but there has been no official comment.

The reported killing comes days after a major operation against the Boko Haram militant group in the town.

The lecturer, who did not want his name to be used, told the BBC's Hausa service that the students were asked to say their names after lining up.

www.bbc.co.uk...

This is an area with a mixed religious population so religion may have been the motive even though it appears both Christian and Muslim students were killed.

No matter what the motive is, this is a truly sad story and I feel for the friends and family of the victims.
edit on 2-10-2012 by Corruption Exposed because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 07:51 AM
link   
This Reuters link says it may have been politically motivated but they don't know for certain:

uk.reuters.com...

This will most likely cause an endless cycle of retalliation if it's already not retalliation for a previous attack. People need to stop killing each other over politics and religion

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 12:35 PM
link   
Agreed this sucks. I fear details and true understanding my not happen in the American media other than Africa now needs gun control.

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 01:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Corruption Exposed

Boko Haram, that explains it. Extremists, famous for alot of things. Like burning down churches with the christians still inside them.

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 01:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by ABNARTY
Agreed this sucks. I fear details and true understanding my not happen in the American media other than Africa now needs gun control.

Ah no. What africa needs is muslim control.

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 01:26 PM
link   
Its sad that many people, esp students are dead....the future for developing the country, but i doubt news such as this will get much attention, even on ATS.

Some lives are more important than others... or the crisis is not really "interesting"... sad but true...its a disgusting world.

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 07:21 AM
link   
Africa, if only it can be saved. The hardships of Africa will make for bright minds if only they can see the light. The only light they see is the light of AKs and RPGs. I am doing it again, aren’t I?

Dang, that got me really sad but, what were the motives? I am guessing it was religious as well but, if both Christian and Muslim students were killed, and there are not a lot of Jews in there so, who did it? Why did they do it?

I am gonna go with Muslims on this one seeing some of them do this all the time in poor places like Africa. Before you even say it, I live in Kuwait and I am a Muslim. The ultimate mistake is making another mistake seem right. That IS what is wrong with this world. Normal Muslims and evil Muslims befriend eachother aganist the "evil" non-believers just because they have "Muslim" written on their ID, neverminding it is wrong to befriend evil. Evil is evil and that is the end of that.
edit on 3-10-2012 by goh13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 09:05 AM
link   
I wonder why this post only got 5 flags and 5 replies (6th flag and reply being mine), even after 50 hours of being posted. Looks like people only care about first world problems. Sad. Looking at the other posts on the home page that have been given more flags and replies, even though they are less significant, makes me cringe with disgust at the hypocrisy.
edit on 4/10/12 by darklord because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 01:24 PM
link   
reply to post by darklord

Yeah, I guess it wasn't big enough news compared to some of the other things going on.

I thought it was a story that people would want to know about, I barely even heard about it on the news.

new topics

top topics

join