It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists say Earth is undergoing true polar wander

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 01:27 AM
link   
Hi Folks

I have searched for a Thread regarding this and can't find a latest one. German and Norwegian scientists have incorporated hotspots in Earth’s mantle into a computer model being used to study true polar wander. They say their work established a stable reference frame for this study that lets them conclude Earth is undergoing true polar wander today.

True polar wander is a geophysical theory, a way of thinking about Earth processes that might happen and that these scientists believe do happen. The theory suggests that if an object of sufficient weight on Earth – for example, a supersized volcano or other weighty land mass – formed far from Earth’s equator, the force of Earth’s rotation would gradually pull the object away from the axis around which Earth spins. A supersized volcano far from Earth’s equator would create an imbalance, in other words.

If the volcanoes, land and other masses that exist within the spinning Earth ever became sufficiently imbalanced, the planet would tilt and rotate itself until this extra weight was relocated to a point along the equator.

True polar wander is different from the more familiar idea of "continental drift," which is the inchwise movement of individual continents relative to one another across the Earth's surface. Polar wander can tip the entire planet on its side.

"Planetary scientists still talk about polar wander for other worlds, such as Mars, where a massive buildup of volcanic rock called Tharsis sits at the Martian equator," Maloof said. "But because Earth's surface is constantly changing as the continents move and ocean crustal plates slide over and under one another, it's more difficult to find evidence of our planet twisting hundreds of millions of years ago, as Mars likely did while it was still geologically active."

There you go folks.. as per scientists study they are very confident about the results that they are accurate. For more details please visit the below link to read the full artcle.

Source

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 01:47 AM
link   
If a Trillion Trillion gallons of crude oil was sucked from Earth's mantle and released into Space via HEAT as it was burned off.....what would be the effect on the spinning ball after it lost over a Quadrillion pounds of weight due to the loss of crude oil in the crust?

Centrifugal force put the crude oil in certain areas to balance the spinning ball. The counter balancer is now gone.

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 01:57 AM
link   
Well hopefully it tips just right so I don't have to drive in the snow anymore. It's my turn for some R&R in the tropics vs freezing my arse off.
Then we can also finally find out what is under that hunk of ice in Antartica.
edit on 2-10-2012 by elouina because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 02:00 AM
link   
Seems like scientists just use all these big words n unnecessary terms so people cant argue with what they say... That is my take on this, gnite....

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 02:08 AM
link   
Madeleine L'Engle: a Swiftly Tilting Planet -- a fictional book for kids, or a dire warning for today?

Is War Related to Natural Distaster?
Metaphor or Literal Prediction?
"Mad Dog" and the Nuclear Brink!

Some theorize that the pyramids once provided a stabilizing force during such an event.
Giza is at the center of the earth so to speak. Ironically.

Others theorize that gravity weapons like CERN'S LHCs could force the earth to experience such an event.
Even farther on the fringe, some suppose that heavenly alignments are related to changes in the earth's polarity.

Who knows?
the "fearful symmetry" of our delicate world is best appreciated during times of imbalance...

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 02:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Pervius

Yes... I agree with you..but not sure the dumping of the wastages into Oceans will help to balance the earth herself

What would be the implication if the earth tilts? I think it will affect the Climate all over the world. not sure whether it will be worst or good..But it would take million of years to tilt..by the time most of the lands will be under water.

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 02:22 AM
link   
If you are a Bible beater, well then, you should remember Peleg -- name means "division" -- Genesis says the continents separated during his lifetime. Or perhaps it means something else entirely.

You recall the Tower of Babel story, right before Peleg's lifetime? Well, think for a moment and tell me what kind of thing in our world most closely resembles a "tower that reaches unto heaven". To me, why, the image is a Nuclear mushroom cloud. And if you remember your Ezekiel and Daniel, well, it would just so happen that Ezekiel saw some of his most spoken-of visions near the old Babel tower site, the Syrian Khabur Triangle region near the Chebar river. Some scholars think that evidence in the area may even suggest an ancient nuclear exchange may have taken place in that very region.

What if, just suppose for a moment, if everyone speaks the same language, calculates and conjures with the same gematria, who is to say that the pre-Peleg peoples did NOT possess nuclear technology that resulted in a "deluge" and "scattering" followed by a "division"?

It makes perfect sense to me, but I am a kook who "believes anything" after all.
When you start putting the pieces together, though, the picture is often astounding.

I wonder if anyone investigates the possibility that neutrinos or other particles affect this process somehow.
Detritus from nuclear detonations, time-wandering radioactivity, shock waves that tear space apart...
Heat from underground nukes, wars, you name it!

it's not that far-fetched. Local reality might reject the violence of humanity.
edit on 2-10-2012 by KhufuKeplerTriangle because: details added

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 02:56 AM
link   
I'm not convinced by this research, not least because so far as I understand, it's based on modelling rather than any actual observations - though of course TPW is so slow you'd need to live for tens of thousands of years to observe even a small change. But certainly something interesting to follow.

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 07:18 AM
link   
True polar wander, the shifting of the entire mantle relative to the earth's spin axis, has been reanalyzed. Over the last 200 million years, true polar wander has been fast (approximately 5 centimeters per year) most of the time, except for a remarkable standstill from 170 to 110 million years ago. This standstill correlates with a decrease in the reversal frequency of the geomagnetic field and episodes of continental breakup. Conversely, true polar wander is high when reversal frequency increases. It is proposed that intermittent convection modulates the thickness of a thermal boundary layer at the base of the mantle and consequently the core-to-mantle heat flux. Emission of hot thermals from the boundary layer leads to increases in mantle convection and true polar wander. In conjunction, cold thermals released from a boundary layer at the top of the liquid core eventually lead to reversals. Changes in the locations of subduction zones may also affect true polar wander. Exceptional volcanism and mass extinctions at the Cretaceous-Tertiary and Permo-Triassic boundaries may be related to thermals released after two unusually long periods with no magnetic reversals. These environmental catastrophes may therefore be a consequence of thermal and chemical couplings in the earth's multilayer heat engine rather than have an extraterrestrial cause.

bump

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 08:09 AM
link   
There ya go people, an excuse to fight for our right to release carbon and melt those ice caps, we cant have them growing to big or I lose my lovely home in the tropics for an arctic winter

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 11:53 AM
link   
Having read a bit more, I think my scepticism may have been a bit misplaced. I had assumed they were talking about slightly faster TPW. But according to this summary

...they suggest that for the past 40 million years the Earth's solid outer layers have been slowly rotating at a rate of 0.2 degrees every million years

And I guess you'd need to stick around a few million years to notice any difference!

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 05:59 PM
link   
reply to post by AncietSoul

So not only do we have precession wobble, but a potential floating rotation too?

Wow.

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 07:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Pervius

I think you might be a tad confused here.

In the grand scheme of things, all the mass of all the oil on earth is tiny compared to the mass of the planet. Add to that, when you burn something, the mass doesn't change or get burned off "into space". The bonds between the atoms are broken, releasing energy, which can be lost (although most of it is put to use otherwise why burn it), but the atoms remain, in the case of oil this would be as gases such as CO2 which hang around on the Earth, not floating off.

So, in short, there would be no noticeable variation in the earth wobble as a result of extracting oil from the crust (not mantle as you claimed)

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 07:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Pervius

I've often wondered if the removed weight of oil had some profound effect on Earth that we have yet to understand outside of pollution, and this topic along with your comment, hit the nail on the head for me. What you've just suggested wouldn't surprise me at all.

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 07:23 PM
link   
reply to post by GrimReaper86

To put into context the total amount of oil ever found in the world, if you tipped it all into the oceans, it would still only constitute less than 1 part per million. Governments around the world accept that anything below 35 ppm is "safe" and all of the Earth's water only makes up 0.023% of the total mass, so that gives you something to think about.

To put it into some sort of context you can relate too, imagine if you were spinning round and round and you had a flea egg on you. If someone chops off a tiny slice of that flea egg, would you even notice it as you spun round?

No.

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 10:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Pervius
If a Trillion Trillion gallons of crude oil was sucked from Earth's mantle and released into Space via HEAT as it was burned off.....what would be the effect on the spinning ball after it lost over a Quadrillion pounds of weight due to the loss of crude oil in the crust?

Centrifugal force put the crude oil in certain areas to balance the spinning ball. The counter balancer is now gone.

That's an interesting concept, but you'd have to find what percentage of weight that is compared to the entire earth.

According to this link here www.sciencedaily.com... we have consumed 135 billion tonnes of oil since we started drilling the stuff, or 135,000,000,000,000 Kg ( used Google for the conversion ). Considering the Earth's mass is estimated to be 6,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 Kg. The percentage of mass burned off is 0.0000000000225% of the Earth. I'm no staticion, but I don't think that's nearly enough to cause this effect.

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 02:03 AM
link   
reply to post by NativeZero

Hey Thanks for your Statistics. Even I thought was good one and not knowing the maths

If that doesn't even bother the earth and how come Volcanos will affect the mother earth..

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 03:54 PM
link   
reply to post by stumason

Hmm, that makes sense. Thank you for that explanation.

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 12:24 AM
link   
''....German and Norwegian scientists have incorporated hotspots in Earth’s mantle into a computer model being used to study true polar wander...''

Why they don't try to prove that Mantle REALLY EXISTS in the first place.

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 01:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by KhufuKeplerTriangle
If you are a Bible beater, well then, you should remember Peleg -- name means "division" -- Genesis says the continents separated during his lifetime. Or perhaps it means something else entirely.

You recall the Tower of Babel story, right before Peleg's lifetime? Well, think for a moment and tell me what kind of thing in our world most closely resembles a "tower that reaches unto heaven". To me, why, the image is a Nuclear mushroom cloud. And if you remember your Ezekiel and Daniel, well, it would just so happen that Ezekiel saw some of his most spoken-of visions near the old Babel tower site, the Syrian Khabur Triangle region near the Chebar river. Some scholars think that evidence in the area may even suggest an ancient nuclear exchange may have taken place in that very region.

What if, just suppose for a moment, if everyone speaks the same language, calculates and conjures with the same gematria, who is to say that the pre-Peleg peoples did NOT possess nuclear technology that resulted in a "deluge" and "scattering" followed by a "division"?

It makes perfect sense to me, but I am a kook who "believes anything" after all.
When you start putting the pieces together, though, the picture is often astounding.

I wonder if anyone investigates the possibility that neutrinos or other particles affect this process somehow.
Detritus from nuclear detonations, time-wandering radioactivity, shock waves that tear space apart...
Heat from underground nukes, wars, you name it!

it's not that far-fetched. Local reality might reject the violence of humanity.
edit on 2-10-2012 by KhufuKeplerTriangle because: details added

...or the division wasn't carried out by the people of Earth but an outside force or forces to keep us from communicating and creating mass resistance.
In such the words of so-called God and the bible isn't a book about religion but a book told and mistold a 1000 times describing those who enslaved us back then.

But as you say... I'm also a kook in this way, and I can conjure up a lot of plausible explanations for the way things are

<<   2 >>

join