It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hypo-allergenic milk created from engineered cow

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 1 2012 @ 11:11 PM
link   
Scientists in New Zealand have genetically engineered a cow that produces "hypo-allergenic" milk.
Using cloning techniques, they've been able to shut down the gene that produces β-lactoglobulin - which creates whey.
Currently this milk will not be on the market - if at all - until they have tested it to prove that the GE cow does indeed produce milk with less or no whey. The cows will still produce casein -another allergen.

Hypoallergenic dairy - Live Science

I have a problem with this article. The lead states that people can drink the milk without digestive consequences - meaning it was created for lactose intolerance, but then it states it's hypoallergenic. A person who has an allergy doesn't usually suffer from digestive consequences - it's a histamine attack with respiratory, swelling, and hives.

As a parent of a daughter who is allergic to dairy (among other things), I don't trust this cows milk. From my research into GM/GE foods, I've come to the conclusion that nothing good comes from modifying nature in this way.

I also find it unnecessary. There are plenty of delicious dairy alternatives on the market. There is no need for dairy marketed allergy-safe - especially since it's not 100% safe. I can see parents with a newly diagnosed allergy child buying this milk, thinking it's safe, and then becoming horrified when their child has a reaction to the casein.

My fear is the milk will be sold in the US before long term studies are finished (like all GM foods). I can only imagine what this will do to calf's that drink the milk and to people who consume it.

posted on Oct, 1 2012 @ 11:16 PM
link   
There is such thing as non allergenic milk, it's called raw milk. It is pasteurization that makes people become lactose intolerant. I know many lactose intolerant people who can drink raw milk just fine.
I wouldn't go anywhere near G.E. milk. I don't trust them to do enough studies to prove it is safe. I also believe that the would tell us it was even if it wasn't

Edit to say, Raw milk would not help with your daughters allergy, since her problem is not lactose intolerant.
edit on 1-10-2012 by calstorm because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2012 @ 11:22 PM
link   
reply to post by calstorm

And of course pasteurization removes all sorts of germs that can harm you in raw milk.

To me, the benefits of pasteurization out weigh the negatives.

posted on Oct, 1 2012 @ 11:40 PM
link   
reply to post by collietta

Is two different types of milk allergies, one is the obvious lactose intolerance and like another member said is other

casein.

Sadly while one affect the intestines the other affect the sinus, some people get both or only one.

I was actually today contemplating, when the GMO companies were going to start tampering with animals next as they have done already with our seeds.

Obviously we are already beyond animal tampering.

I used to drink raw milk rather than the manufactured by pass product we got as milk in the markets.

Sadly I found out now at my age that all those years of terrible sinus infections and stuffiness were due to milk and raw was not exception.

I use almond milk now but soy milk (most of soy in the US is also GMO unless specifically brand organic) and almond can also be allergenic to some.

Look to me that corporate greed wants to manufacture a new world were nature will be obsolete for that ensures that everything can be patented and controlled.

posted on Oct, 1 2012 @ 11:40 PM
link   

Yep, she's allergic to casein, so no milk products for her. Luckily she doesn't know what she's missing and there is so many wonderful alternatives.

I'm interested in trying raw milk from a local farm, but I'm not brave enough yet. I've never cared for milk straight. I prefer it in cheese and ice cream.
I've had pasteurized grass-fed milk and it was delicious.

posted on Oct, 1 2012 @ 11:45 PM
link   
reply to post by nightbringr

I drank raw milk for 52 years and never got any poisoning but the sinus problems that now is been identified as an allergy, but that is not my only food allergy I been experiencing lately.

posted on Oct, 1 2012 @ 11:49 PM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

It sounds like you had an allergic reaction - not intolerance. Or you could have both, but food intolerance and allergy are not the same, and I have to explain this to a lot of people, including family, who think its okay to feed my daughter her allergens in small amounts.

Allergy deals with the immune system. IgE levels increase in the blood stream, which releases an excessive amount of histamine and causes the reaction of hives, swelling, running nose, eyes, ears, fluid in the lungs, and digestive upset. It can be quick or can be slow and ongoing. This is a life or death situation because the immune system doesn't know when to stop.

Intolerance is not the immune system. Intolerance is when a person's body can not digest the protein. This causes gastrointestinal upset. Sometimes the person can eat small amount of the protein and not get sick. This is also not life or death. I have a friend who is lactose intolerant. He can eat ice cream and cheese in small amounts, but if he has a bowl of cereal with the wrong type of milk, he is in the bathroom a good portion of the day.

This link will take you to more information on allergy vs intolerance

posted on Oct, 1 2012 @ 11:51 PM
link   
The safety standards are so extreme on raw milk, that pasteurized milk actually contains more bacteria than raw milk if you buy it from an approved source and not just some random persons cow. Fortunately here in Cali, I can purchase raw milk at the store.
The taste difference between organic milk and raw milk is minimal, and raw just tastes better.
Marg, I am sorry to hear about your chronic sinus infections, I too have struggled with those, including multiple surgeries. fortunately/unfortunatly tests have shown mine is not from milk.

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 07:37 AM
link   
reply to post by collietta

Yes you are right, the problem is that the allergy can become dangerous when the body starts to attack itself that is when the problem starts.

Interestingly I discovered that once I stop drinking milk and eating anything that contains milk products my symptoms got better, no disappeared completely as is other food allergies I have, but when I did the test to introduce the milk into my diet I got the intolerance symptom too along with the sinus problems.

I was told that this happen because once you take the milk completely body is cleansed, so the reason I had no so much problem with intolerance was the years that I was drinking milk and the way my body has gotten used to the milk.

Is amazing the things you learn about your own body once you start to eliminate allergens from the diet.

Specially anything manufactured and processed.

We are truly been poisoned by additives and GMOs, is just that we don't know how bad it is until we do elimination of foods and try to introduce them again.

I am also allergic to many prescription drugs that contain sulfa but not to penicillin.

Be careful with you daughter because if she already have shown any type of allergic reaction to foods she will more ofter than not be allergic to anything synthetic like manufactured drugs, GMOs and food additives.

I have spend many times in the emergency room with very ugly allergic reactions.

Has becoming worse since I have gotten older.

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 07:44 AM
link   

Thanks, I am so upset about it, because I have drink raw milk all my life and love the taste of real milk. Buy that is not the only thing that I have discovered I am becoming allergic to.

The real trouble started when I got my gallbladder removed last year and now I have becoming allergic to many foods that I had eated all my life. Even coffee now is giving me trouble.

Interestingly Glutten is not allergenic to me, that is surprisingly.

But I am doing what I can as I refused sinus surgery and most of the prescribe nasal sprays gives me horrible headaches.

So far as long as I stay away from allergy triggers I am breathing better than I ever been able to without medications.

top topics

join