It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mars rover finds first evidence of water: a river of it

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 03:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by randomname
they should show the mars sky, it would be cool to see.

www.space.com...

Is anyone actually using the internet for anything other than assume conspiracy theories abound?

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 04:15 AM
link   
To the posters who claim that the night sky of Mars would look not too terribly different from the sky over Earth, I must point out the fallacy of that assumption. First of all, as another poster has rightly pointed out, if Earths moon is visisble in the shot, then its got to be a fake, although I highly doubt that there is any probability of this mission being a fake, what so ever.

Also, we must remember that Mars has orbital bodies of its own, Phobos and Demios. These objects, long thought to be captured asteroids, due in part to thier irregular shape, are both visible from the surface of Mars, and although not as vibrant and as large in scale as our own moon, would be clear indicators to even the least observant, that one was not peering at an image of night time as we know it here on Earth.

On another tack now, perhaps the reason that NASA do not point thier equipment at the night sky, just to prove a point, has more to do with the fact that people have been accusing them of doctoring images and video for as long as they have existed as an organisation? Perhaps, rather than pandering to this blinkered and utterly baseless school of thought, they have decided to focus the attentions of this staggeringly expensive and complex mission, on its actual aims? Worth thinking about I think, if one is serious about these things.

Also, on the claim that only the most serious buff, or someone with expertise in the field is going to notice a possible balls up in a NASA fake up department, I would point out the hundreds of people, JUST ON THIS WEBSITE who have the understanding and knowledge of the stars to make such a falsehood apparant under thier gaze. One does NOT have to have special training, just enough INTEREST and patience to gain familiarity with the stars, as with anything else man has ever studied.

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 04:25 AM
link   
Holy mis-titled thread Batman!

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 04:47 AM
link   
reply to post by SoulVisions

Time to leave this wretched planet. I want the first ticket to Mars with all haste. For the first time I genuinely feel like it can be done, to live on another planet is wishful thinking no more.

Jesus.. you can't trust titles no more, sheesh. ^You get posts like these when you don't read the actual post GHAD^ :/ disappointed lol.
edit on 2-10-2012 by Mizzijr because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 04:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by billy197300

Originally posted by sonofonehunlo

I read through a lot of posts today that seemed to feel the whole rover deal was fake.

Why don't they point their camera up at night. The stars would look different than from earth.

I have never really understood why some people think that. What would be the point in faking it?

How about all the $billions it has supposed to cost for this, but which has really been 'diverted' elsewhere. If they can present something to satisfy the public as 'proof' that they spent it on this Mars project, then they don't have to divulge where it has really gone.

Also, they won't point the camera skywards because we would see that the stars, and everything else in the night sky, looks just the same as they do from Earth because that's where the rover really is, and their $billions dollar fraud would be busted.

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 05:31 AM
link   
reply to post by doobydoll

First post on this page seems to turn your assumption on its head. Curiosity is a mission which has many strings to its bow. Please observe the image and the link provided by the first poster on this page.

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 06:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by SoulVisions

Mars rover finds first evidence of water: a river of it

www.reuters.com

(Reuters) - NASA's Mars rover, Curiosity, dispatched to learn if the most Earth-like planet in the solar system was suitable for microbial life, has found clear evidence its landing site was once awash in water, a key ingredient for life, scientists said Thursday.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Mod Edit: Review This Link: Breaking Alternative News Guidelines -- Copy the Exact Headline
edit on 10/2/2012 by semperfortis because: (no reason given)

The video is here:
www.reuters.com...

Here is a photo that shows water being actively used on mars (ok probably chemical)

Please click photo strip to open:
www.msss.com...

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 06:07 AM
link   
Once Mars must have been alive . I think People migrated from mars to earth after Mars became Uninhabitable

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 06:10 AM
link   
This might be a stupid question but... if there 'was' water on Mars in the past, where is it now? Water doesn't just disappear does it? It wouldn't just evaporate off into space due to gravity so it would remain in the atmosphere as clouds. The only other alternative is underground but with enough water to make rives and cause the erosion we see, why and how would all of this water go underground? Did early Earth Dwellers steal it to make Earth more habitable??

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 06:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by synapsis
Once Mars must have been alive . I think People migrated from mars to earth after Mars became Uninhabitable

I think you are on the right track with that. Also... think Pyramids and their relationship with the night sky. There is a theory in there somewhere.

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 09:14 AM
link   
reply to post by synapsis

This is one of my favorite theories about Mars.

One of those "stories" I read had said that a Gamma Ray Burst hit Mars but the Martians had the technology to see it coming from light years away, giving them atleast a year or so to evacuate. Some came to Earth, others went underground, and other are inside the Martian Moon Phobos.

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 09:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by sonofonehunlo

I read through a lot of posts today that seemed to feel the whole rover deal was fake.

Why don't they point their camera up at night. The stars would look different than from earth.

Good idea except the 'Golden Arches' would illuminate the shot.......

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 09:54 AM
link   
Its Winter on Mars now but this article hints that Curiosity might find some evidence of water this summer. It also explains the difference in Martian and Earth's atmosphere.

Weather On Mars Surprisingly Warm, Curiosity Rover Finds www.space.com...

I hope we see something this Summer that proves past or present water process's are active on the Martian surface.

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 09:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by randomname
reply to post by TheSparrowSings

but if they point up you might see a boeing 747 flying over head or a seagull.

at night you might see the moon, our moon, or during the day you'll see blue bird skies.

they should show the mars sky, it would be cool to see.
edit on 2-10-2012 by randomname because: (no reason given)

especially when we have a full moon here on earth...you would notice the difference in brightness immediately...plus the added value of debunking the non-believers.

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 10:41 AM
link   
Possible water from space when Earth had the Flood of Noe.
Mars didn't hold on to any not even freezing any.
The Earth atmosphere changed after the Flood but Mars didn't have a chance.

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 03:40 PM
link   
*meanwhile somewhere in Chile*

"you think they'll buy the water crap?... stupid rc rover had to run into a damn pond"

"yea... no worries, its all under control - as long as they can blurr out the fishes and make them look like rocks"

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 03:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by TrueBrit

First post on this page seems to turn your assumption on its head. Curiosity is a mission which has many strings to its bow. Please observe the image and the link provided by the first poster on this page.

Image? There is virtually nothing to observe on that image.

I see one unimpressive picture which is almost completely blank except for a single jet black pixel.

Whomever made that 'image' needs to be fired.
edit on 5-10-2012 by doobydoll because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 06:46 AM
link   

If you are incapable of appreciating the pearls spread before you, then what right have you to complain? Have you bothered studying other images from the mission? I very much doubt you have put the required effort in to see what gems the curiosity mission has turned up.

The image shows a pale crescent against the background, in the top right hand quadrant of the image, as well as the black dot. The pale crescent shape is Phobos.

www.space.com...

The link above should take you to an image of Phobos against the glare of the sun,taken as part of a study into the orbits of the martian moon.

No doubt if you keep an eye on the product of the mission, your concerns will be answered in time.

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 05:54 PM
link   
reply to post by thetiler

Yes I've seen this image before, it looks like hydraulic mining and it’s located in a creepy area.

If you really want to see water on Mars look for Marwth Vallis. You can see active waterfalls lakes and rivers. The Images are from the Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter. NASA already announced this water find in a press conference seen on You Tube about 2 years ago. I guess they didn’t remember the conference lol. I said active because some of the falls can be seen giving off mists that cover large areas.
An added point of interest is what looks like a temple near the center of one of the images. Similar to the monastery in Tibet as it resides on mountain slopes.
If anyone is interested I’ll send you some of my enlarged images. [email protected]

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 06:25 PM
link   

the rocks look to be polished as occurs in a stream here on earth

Mars Rover Curiosity Sees PhobosCredit: NASA/JPL-Caltech/MSSSAs part of a multi-mission campaign, NASA's Curiosity rover is observing Martian moon transits, the first of which involved the moon Phobos grazing the sun's disk. The event was observed on Martian day, or sol, 37 (September 13, 2012) using Curiosity's Mast Camera, or Mastcam, equipped with special filters for directly observing the sun

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join