It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Possible way for a 3rd party win

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 1 2012 @ 10:02 PM
link   
My friends and I were talking and I thought of something amusing but plausible. I wanted to ask ATS what they thought.
Question: Would an atheist politician have a chance of winning as a 3rd party?

Would fellow atheist join together and vote for he/she?

I thought that it was an interesting topic to discuss. I personally think that the first candidate to run on a nonbelief-in-religion platform would gather a lot of attention and have success in the election. But anyone after that would be looked at just like an other candidate.

What do you think?

posted on Oct, 1 2012 @ 10:07 PM
link   
reply to post by imnotanother

Jesse Ventura is an atheist and has discussed running in 2016 as an independent. Atheist status would likely lose more votes than it would gain, with the US being 5% atheist and over 90% believing in God.

posted on Oct, 1 2012 @ 10:22 PM
link   
I always thought an Atheist or Agnostic would be ideal in office. I'm not sure that it will happen, however, for the reasons the above member wrote.

I would like to see it happen though!

posted on Oct, 1 2012 @ 10:35 PM
link   
No.

I hope not.

posted on Oct, 1 2012 @ 10:54 PM
link   
I think the candidates shouldn't disclose their religious affiliation in the first place, because it shouldn't matter for the job.

If an atheist ran on that statement, and left the religious ideology out of their resume, they might have a chance, because I know that, although I am an agnostic leaning towards Christianity, I would find it refreshing to to hear a candidate NOT spout his religious convictions just to work the god-fearing vote.

top topics

join