It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US Military - "Our Technology WIll Never Be Stolen Again" - DARPA - Liquid Drop

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 1 2012 @ 09:41 PM
link   
Darpa - Liquid drop dissolves electronics

DARPA has released a new video available for public view. On this video, it shows a microchip dissolving [i]completely away in mere seconds after being subjected to a drop of liquid. Adjustments can be made to the system allowing for immediate destruction, or after any length of time they choose.

Black Ops has waited years for this technology. No more will the US have to worry about if a spy plane is lost, or shot down. No more worry over ANY new or secret technology falling into enemy hands.

This will also carry over into a multitude of other hardware applications. Hard drives uploading cyber war applications as well as any sensitive data is now no longer recoverable with this new advance. Explosives/fire will not always works to destroy equipment beyond the state of data retrieval. Also, if beyond range of detonation signal, equipment lost to the enemy becomes a risk to national security.

Later on, this could be used towards even more mundane items carried by soldiers.
The official stance is, "If you have no evidence, then we were never there."
Stealth carries over into new applications.

posted on Oct, 1 2012 @ 09:56 PM
link   

A new class of electronics that are biocompatible and can dissolve completely in liquid mean that implantable medical treatments are closer to reality for on-the-go warfighters.

DARPA researchers have created electronic systems and components using ultrathin sheets of silicon and magnesium encapsulated in silk, a biocompatible material. The thickness and crystallinity of the silk determines how long the electronics take to dissolve: days, hours, or even minutes. Silicon and magnesium are naturally occurring at low levels in the human body, and since the amount of material used in these devices is below physiological levels these electronics are biocompatible and eco-friendly.

A paper appearing in the September 28, 2012 issue of Science explains how DARPA researchers were able to use this technology to create an implantable device that acts as a non-antibiotic, programmable bactericide that can dissolve harmlessly into the body to prevent surgical site infection.

www.darpa.mil...

So if I'm correct the advancement here is in the electronic engineering and not the liquid. Also, DARPA's site has this as primarily medical in nature. Though, I'm sure it will be applied elsewhere.

posted on Oct, 1 2012 @ 10:08 PM
link   
reply to post by SoulVisions

Wow pretty impressive but everything they have that will now fly up in the air using this technology will have to be air tight...humidity is going to be a big issue with these types of components...

posted on Oct, 1 2012 @ 10:38 PM
link   
\\\\\\\\\better not have any sweaty handed techs working on them either........
Its interesting but.........

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 12:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by PatrickGarrow17

A new class of electronics that are biocompatible and can dissolve completely in liquid mean that implantable medical treatments are closer to reality for on-the-go warfighters.

A paper appearing in the September 28, 2012 issue of Science explains how DARPA researchers were able to use this technology to create an implantable device that acts as a non-antibiotic, programmable bactericide that can dissolve harmlessly into the body to prevent surgical site infection.

www.darpa.mil...

So if I'm correct the advancement here is in the electronic engineering and not the liquid. Also, DARPA's site has this as primarily medical in nature. Though, I'm sure it will be applied elsewhere.

Right... Let's consider this just for a moment. Surgery (or post wound). Implant placed inside. All just to dissolve within a period of time.

That's an awful lot of effort/time/money spent just for this to be used as a bactericide. There are myriads of medicinal options already out there that do this and in a much, much more cost-effective and efficient manner. Not to say that it wouldn't be used in this way, but realistically...

There are far FAR better ways to use this kind of technology, many of which I already listed above. Covert applications were the intention no matter what story is sold to the public. Sometimes, a politically correct reason must be fed to the audience when a fair amount of resources have been already spent on a technology whose uses are more than obvious or likely to be frowned upon. The covert use of military tech is one such area where this happens frequently.
edit on 2-10-2012 by SoulVisions because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 12:14 AM
link   
US Military- "our technology will never be USED in Canada"

edit on 2-10-2012 by all2human because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 12:29 AM
link   
Dissolved by a drop....lol it looked more like twenty drops.
Great for implanting tracking devices into a target then dissolving it when u dont need it or are about to get caught.

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 11:58 AM
link   
I wonder what the trigger would be to ‘release the drops’? If I were an enemy I would spend my time and resources discovering that trigger.

edit on 2-10-2012 by apsalmist because: accuracy

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 12:05 PM
link   

With Gold as a bonus

Where can I collect some Darpa millions?

edit on 2-10-2012 by EartOccupant because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 12:10 PM
link   
Is that a particular liquid?
I'd hate to see drones falling out of the sky due to a sudden rainstorm.

That circuit seemed pretty flimsy.
How would it hold up under stress, I wonder?

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 12:29 PM
link   
I can see it now. An American soldier is captured and the enemy's first priority is to stop him from licking himself.

But seriously...The main use of this tech will be for the tracking on control of We the People. It's probably been in our food for 10 years.

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 07:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by subject x
That circuit seemed pretty flimsy. How would it hold up under stress, I wonder?

All the circuits are encased and some hardened beyond that, so I have to imagine this is a special use situation and potentially as part of a self-destruct anti-tampering improvement of bugs, specific control systems in military craft, etc.

Think of it in the context of the modified low-observable Black Hawk that crashed at the OBL raid site. Along with the instructions to set explosives and fire a trigger to release the fluid inside optics, comms, etc.

That's just guesswork as I haven't read any associated material but they must already know how they expect it to be used. I'm also guessing they don't opt for existing chemical solutions to avoid accidents and reduce weight. So it's definitely meant for reallllly small circuits and anti-tampering measures. Curious, -Mags

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 08:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Insurrection

Originally posted by subject x
That circuit seemed pretty flimsy. How would it hold up under stress, I wonder?

All the circuits are encased and some hardened beyond that, so I have to imagine this is a special use situation and potentially as part of a self-destruct anti-tampering improvement of bugs, specific control systems in military craft, etc.

Think of it in the context of the modified low-observable Black Hawk that crashed at the OBL raid site. Along with the instructions to set explosives and fire a trigger to release the fluid inside optics, comms, etc.

That's just guesswork as I haven't read any associated material but they must already know how they expect it to be used. I'm also guessing they don't opt for existing chemical solutions to avoid accidents and reduce weight. So it's definitely meant for reallllly small circuits and anti-tampering measures. Curious, -Mags

The most critical application would be reliably destroying the communication & control electronics of downed drones such as the one brought-down/crashed in Iran recently. You do not want reverse-engineering or spoofing.

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 12:42 AM
link   
Yeah well I dig the security concerns of our nations finest minds but why the hell did you guys stop my truck while passing through southern nevada with and emp and then reveal your stealthed ship in Texas to me.

I dont get it I am not worth that kind of exposure unless you were trying to scare me out of being such a dumbass I just dont get it.

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 12:51 AM
link   
nvm. I'm not going to comment on this.
edit on 26-10-2012 by SoulVisions because: deleted

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 11:30 AM
link   
It'll make it easier for the enemy.

Instead of using a missile to shoot down an aircraft they'll just use a laser and heat up that little vial holding that liquid until it boils and the little capsule pops......1 aircraft going down to Davey Jones locker.......

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 03:51 PM
link   
reply to post by SoulVisions

What if the enemy get the liquid ?

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 04:34 PM
link   
reply to post by councilglasses

The advance isn't so much in the liquid, itself. It's in the soluble conductive materials that the circuitry is made from, as well.

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 08:58 PM
link   
You dont have teams of incredible minds riding on that developmental avenue..end result is guess what.

You have nothing.

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 08:35 AM
link   
So now we know what happened to the wicked witch of the west when Dorothy threw a bucket of water on her. She must have been using flying monkey drones and poppy chemical weapons too. Now we know exactly what our parents were preparing us for.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join