It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Walmart Workers Ask For Basic Rights, Walmart Calls Riot Police

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 08:31 PM
link   
Proud to say I avoid wal-mart since I learned of their "dead peasant" policy and will not shop there. Thats pretty much all we have to do.

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 08:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Slickinfinity
Proud to say I avoid wal-mart since I learned of their "dead peasant" policy and will not shop there. Thats pretty much all we have to do.

This is one of the sickest things I have ever heard of!

www.freerepublic.com...

www.youtube.com...

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 09:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Svipdagr
Simple Solution. Stop working there.....Im sure many other people would work in your stead. Treating people horribly is wrong, protesting sure....you'll get attention. But ask yourself this, they're obviously not willing to change, Why stay there?

Id imagine the majority work there because they have to in order to get by in life. Theses folks that did strike could very well just be cranky over reactors or they might have legitimate concerns that are being ignored. If the articles are telling the truth, in some instances the employees were upset for not being paid for work done. If your boss stopped paying you your overtime, would you be able to just quit? Walmart has enough money to work with these few employees to resolve this amicably rather than resorting to calling in the Wally World militia as portrayed in these photos. Your solution is simple but its ignorant and solves nothing.

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 09:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Swills
Actually guys, they are police. I posted an article back on page 3 that has all the details, the right details. There is also a video on that link as well.

Now that I have time to sit in front of the PC for the first time today I did a quick Google search of Mobile Field Force Team, which are the riot Police in question, and here it is.

www.ileas.org.../mobile-field-force

Mission: The ILEAS Mobile Field Force (MFF) is designed to provide rapid, organized and disciplined response to civil disorder, crowd control or other tactical situations involving the distribution of pharmaceuticals from the National Strategic Stockpile, weapons of mass destruction incidents as well as other more conventional events.

Function: The MFF is basically a platoon of police officers of various ranks with a leader. Tactics used are based on small squad tactics developed by the Office of Domestic Preparedness as well as the more traditional Mobile Field Force tactics. A team generally consists of four squads and may be supplemented by specialized units from ILEAS member agencies.

The MFF may be utilized to:

Provide security at sites where pharmaceuticals from the National Strategic Stockpile are being distributed.
Provide evacuation assistance related to weapons of mass destruction incidents.
Rescue victims or police officers under hazardous conditions.
Apprehend multiple offenders in crowd situations.
Isolate areas of civil disorder or disaster by the use of large, organized perimeters.
Control or disburse unruly crowds.
Act as the first response to EMAC requests from other states.

About ILEAS
Origins of ILEAS:

The Illinois Law Enforcement Alarm System (ILEAS) was formed in 2002 in response to the September 11th attacks as a joint venture of the Illinois Association of Chiefs of Police, the Illinois Sheriffs’ Association, and the Illinois Emergency Management Agency. We were created to meet the needs of local law enforcement throughout the State of Illinois in matters of mutual aid, emergency response and the combining of resources for public safety and terrorism prevention and response. We are a consortium of over 900 local governments established pursuant to the Constitution of the State of Illinois (Ill. Const. Art. VII, sec. 10), the Illinois Intergovernmental Cooperation Act (5 ILCS 220/1 et seq.), the Local Governmental and Governmental Employees Tort Immunity Act (745 ILCS 10/7-101 et seq.) and the Illinois Municipal Code (65 ILCS 5/11-1-2.1).

When the Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania Police Department commanders learned it was going to be the host for the G20 Economic Summit, they only had four months to prepare. Pittsburgh commanders called various agencies for advice and assistance - the London Metropolitan Police, Washington D.C. Police, New York City Police and ILEAS. When the summit took place in September of 2009, ILEAS was the largest single combined team on site with 150 officers from 60 different agencies from Illinois.

The Illinois Law Enforcement Alarm System (ILEAS) has come a long way since its post 9/11 birth. When it was first created, there was no staff, only the beginning of a Governing Board and minimal participation by police and sheriffs. The laudable efforts of the first few individuals that formed ILEAS, Sheriff Jim Olson, Deputy Chief Pete Smith, Chief Deputy Gary Stryker, Chicago Police Superintendent Terry Hillard, Illinois Terrorism Task Force Chair Mike Chamness and many others resulted in the creation of ILEAS and the first Governing Board formed. From those early days when only a few agencies were members, ILEAS now boasts a membership of hundreds of agencies law enforcement agencies, representing over 95% of the officers and deputies in Illinois.

edit on 2-10-2012 by Swills because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 09:41 PM
link   
reply to post by olaru12

Ugh wtf? I didn't know about that. Despicable.

F Walmart.

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 11:04 PM
link   
reply to post by olaru12

What is the point of that unless corporations want to go around killing people?

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 11:05 PM
link   
reply to post by jplaysguitar

I know?! If I found out they were just Walmart cops, I would say "you can't arrest me, you aren't even real police!"

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 11:27 PM
link   
The Wal-Mart managers, at every level, at every store, AT EVERY LEVEL are insane and scary individuals. It's a demographic that makes North Korea seem tame by comparison.

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 01:59 AM
link   
i just looked at the pictures and that is pretty messed up considering those protesters looked the complete opposite of violent.

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 03:54 AM
link   
When I think of Walmart I think of "owing your soul to the company store".

I have a friend who works at Walmart. They show all of their new employees (mostly young, just out of high school or uneducated and highly impressionable) anti-union propaganda via a video entitled "Protect Your Signature". They have employees unload trailers BY HAND were boxes and heavy objects fall on their heads and bodies (including paint cans, microwaves, and claw hammers), they pay most employees just barely above minimum wage ($7 something an hour), they flip out about 1 minute of overtime for part-time (32 hours per week or less) employees, they turn the air conditioning off at night so stockers (including the elderly) must sweat to death (for the sake of saving money and the environment - the back room is just like any factory and has no such concept as heating or air conditioning), they rotate part-time employee hours so that, in many circumstances, grandmothers have to work till nearly midnight and return the following day at 7am, they push for employees to goto "free" community clinics (paid for by tax payers) so that they do not have to give emplyees full-time and benefits, and the list goes on and on.

When Walmart "saves people money" so they can "live better", it really means, in my opinion, that they screw fellow humans, citizens, and family so they can make an 800% profit on a "soda-stream machine" (no kidding.. they pay like $10 and sell it for $80 (so I hear). I can understand profit, but robbing stupid people and then pocketing that money rather than giving your hard working employees a better life?

In my opinion, Walmart does more harm than good in this world. If your main focus in this life is money, then I suppose Walmart is practically Jesus, but if your main focus is people, love, and life, then Walmart is worse than Satan himself - they only help to keep the little man down with false hopes of getting up (all paid for on the tax payer's back).

Walmart IS "big brother". They train cameras on their employees and on the public, place alarms on everything (all junk btw), and do everything within their power to show EVERYONE they trust no one. And people buy stuff from such a horrible merchant? Why would you trust someone who has reason to believe ZERO people can be trusted? Seriously... If you think about it... Only thieves constantly think about theft. Only murderers constantly think about murder. Good people don't even consider the idea that there aren't trustworthy people in this world who do not deserve to be treated as trustworthy. Do you think that is silly? They say that trust and respect is earned. Really? Shop at Walmart for 40 years, do nothing wrong, and then walk out their door and have one of their phony alarms go off because something did not de-arm correctly and see how much trust and respect you earned during those 40 years - ZERO. Conversely, visit a second-hand store (their products are about as good, if not better than Walmart's) and you won't find that sort of stuff. And just think... the second-hand store didn't buy their stuff from factories that have suicide nets up to keep depressed employees from jumping!

Walmart sucks and more protests need to happen. End of rant.

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 06:02 AM
link   
I'd rather collect food stamps then work at Walmart. I'd eat out of a dumpster before working there.

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 02:05 PM
link   
Theoretically speaking...

What is to keep a private citizen from forming his/her own corporation, and then creating their own corporate police force to keep the ideals and pathways of his/her corporation, open?

If the large corporations can do that, why cant the new/small ones?

If you can't beat them in a fair fight, kick them in the balls and gouge out their eyes. You may not win, but they will never forget you.

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 04:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by RicketyCricket
Theoretically speaking...

What is to keep a private citizen from forming his/her own corporation, and then creating their own corporate police force to keep the ideals and pathways of his/her corporation, open?

You can't start a corporation, you can only incorporate your business. Corporations are simply businesses that have been legally incorporated. It gives the company different legal rights. All companies can incorporate. It is done to protect the capitalist owners personal wealth. When incorporated the owner is not held liable for the company, so if the company gets sued, or goes bust, the court can't touch the owners personal wealth.

The decision to incorporate you or your business is the first step in providing effective protection from personal liability, excessive taxation, and provides the entrepreneur or the savvy investor with an effective and powerful tool to aid in managing and growing their business ventures. There are many reasons to incorporate; by incorporating, you are forming a separate, distinct legal entity that can be utilized to safeguard your personal wealth and assets by separating you, personally, from business liability, lawsuits, creditors and excessive taxation.

Incorporate

Capitalists have the law on their side because they create the laws.

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 04:56 PM
link   
History is repeating itself as America rediscovers what Unfettered Capitalism always does.

I think everyone's outrage will be on target -- but I only wanted to make one salient point;

Those Frackin' Police Look Like Daleks!

They have to have gotten more fearful an alienated, or the Chief of Police are clearly trying to make a force of jack boots that are militarized. These guys are showing up with flack jackets, face shields and what looks like explosive armor just to meet WalMart workers? WTF?

If someone had said this picture came for some third world dictatorship, it would make more sense.

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 05:16 PM
link   
If any of these teachers union people really do work for walmart FIRE THEM ALL!

Question is why is the teachers union protesting at Walmart? Or do they all work there too....lol.
While the REAL middle class suffers, these idiots protest their generous salaries these people take a few weeks off from school, screwing the parents and the children while they go and stir up a sh# storm at walmart and then complain when the cops are called.

Despicable.

As if I need another reason to shop at walmart! Never thought I'd say this before..but...go walmart!

Walmart = 1
Union Losers = 0

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 01:44 AM
link   

Some of you guys obviously didn't read my post to the end. And some obviously did not read the article. So let me clarify.

The people who are striking against walmart do not actually work for walmart, they work for a contractor hired by walmart that works for the warehouse. Stopping business....will solve what? NOTHING. NOTHING at all. Think about it. They are greedy #s, what do you think will happen. THey'll just shut everything down and everyone will be screwed over.....

Perfect example is what happened in China. All those protestors stopping businesses, destroying stuff...expecting no back lash, yet in the end they get screwed themselves over....soo many businesses closed down, so many lost their jobs, and their stock market is tanking.

They're working low paying jobs in unsafe conditions....Why wouldn't you quit? They could find an equivalent job somewhere else. Looking at indeed.com and monster.com there are jobs in elwood, il that these people could easily qualify for.

Some of you didn't read the end, where i said they should get someone from their labor union or representative or whatever to actually have a meeting with a walmart representative. Protesting won't make the company want to play nice....threatening/blackmail/manipulating behind closed doors will.

Lets look at some more facts. Here's something from the sun times "Walmart hired Schneider National Inc. to manage its warehouse in Elwood; Schneider hired Roadlink Workforce Solutions to staff the warehouse. On Sept. 13, two days before the strike began, workers filed a federal lawsuit charging Roadlink with wage theft and other labor infractions."

They don't work for Walmart.......

Here's something from chicago business to prove my point "Four Roadlink employees at the Elwood site, including Phillip Bailey, a freight handler, filed suit against the company on Sept. 13, alleging the company has failed to pay required minimum wages and overtime pay, short-changed workers on their hours and did not provide employees with written time records.

Wal-Mart isn't a defendant in the class-action case, which was filed in U.S. District Court in Chicago."

You guys can name call me all you want. But please read everything available. Stopping Walmart is impossible as of yet, people want cheaper and cheaper goods and want it conveniently placed so they can buy it in one location. If you want to stop walmart, you have to make people realize that they higher quality items is a better choice, last longer and better.

So many of you guys call me a monster, ignorant troll. BUT GUESS WHAT???? THEY DO NOT WORK FOR WALMART. Walmart contracts another company. Why are they doing this to an active walmart store and not the warehouse or the company that hired them?

You are correct in saying they should of contacted a Union delegate or official. They can't just say that their workplace is unsafe and walk off the job. Most companies these days have an inhouse OH&S committee, where any safety issue must be raised through this committee with a paper trail of any complaint and follow up action. If no action is taken and no suitable reason given for not taking action, THEN you can go outside of your company for any extra assisstance in your safety matter. But you must produce the relative paper trail showing your course of action and folllow the legal procedure. You can't just walk off the job because if you do, you have ruined any course of legal action you may of wanted to take, and the courts will ask why you haven't followed the correct procedure and why you took the law into your own hands.
In saying that, just because Walmart is using a sub-contractor doesn't mean that they are totally innocent in this case. Most companies these days now use "sub-contractors" because they know its business as usual but if anything goes wrong they can instantly wipe their hands free of any blame. But companies like Walmart should be looking a little closer into who they use as a sub-contractor, and the track record of that sub-contractor, and whether any issues may arise [safety] that may then reflect back on Walmart.
It is no different to a company like Nike saying that it has no responsibility for under age workers being used, or poorly paid workers in sweatshop conditions, to make their shoes for a sub-contractor company. Nike made their choice of sub-contracor, so any issues that arise there after have to have some of the blame accepted by Nike.But making profits AND accepting blame never seem to go hand in hand with todays larger companies. Its all about passing the buck, while making as many bucks as they can !
Here in Australia, we have an organization called Workcover which has more power than the Police, and would be all over this case, but only if the correct due process and paper trail was followed first. Is there such an organization in the US ?

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 01:45 AM
link   

Some of you guys obviously didn't read my post to the end. And some obviously did not read the article. So let me clarify.

The people who are striking against walmart do not actually work for walmart, they work for a contractor hired by walmart that works for the warehouse. Stopping business....will solve what? NOTHING. NOTHING at all. Think about it. They are greedy #s, what do you think will happen. THey'll just shut everything down and everyone will be screwed over.....

Perfect example is what happened in China. All those protestors stopping businesses, destroying stuff...expecting no back lash, yet in the end they get screwed themselves over....soo many businesses closed down, so many lost their jobs, and their stock market is tanking.

They're working low paying jobs in unsafe conditions....Why wouldn't you quit? They could find an equivalent job somewhere else. Looking at indeed.com and monster.com there are jobs in elwood, il that these people could easily qualify for.

Some of you didn't read the end, where i said they should get someone from their labor union or representative or whatever to actually have a meeting with a walmart representative. Protesting won't make the company want to play nice....threatening/blackmail/manipulating behind closed doors will.

Lets look at some more facts. Here's something from the sun times "Walmart hired Schneider National Inc. to manage its warehouse in Elwood; Schneider hired Roadlink Workforce Solutions to staff the warehouse. On Sept. 13, two days before the strike began, workers filed a federal lawsuit charging Roadlink with wage theft and other labor infractions."

They don't work for Walmart.......

Here's something from chicago business to prove my point "Four Roadlink employees at the Elwood site, including Phillip Bailey, a freight handler, filed suit against the company on Sept. 13, alleging the company has failed to pay required minimum wages and overtime pay, short-changed workers on their hours and did not provide employees with written time records.

Wal-Mart isn't a defendant in the class-action case, which was filed in U.S. District Court in Chicago."

You guys can name call me all you want. But please read everything available. Stopping Walmart is impossible as of yet, people want cheaper and cheaper goods and want it conveniently placed so they can buy it in one location. If you want to stop walmart, you have to make people realize that they higher quality items is a better choice, last longer and better.

So many of you guys call me a monster, ignorant troll. BUT GUESS WHAT???? THEY DO NOT WORK FOR WALMART. Walmart contracts another company. Why are they doing this to an active walmart store and not the warehouse or the company that hired them?

You are correct in saying they should of contacted a Union delegate or official. They can't just say that their workplace is unsafe and walk off the job. Most companies these days have an inhouse OH&S committee, where any safety issue must be raised through this committee with a paper trail of any complaint and follow up action. If no action is taken and no suitable reason given for not taking action, THEN you can go outside of your company for any extra assisstance in your safety matter. But you must produce the relative paper trail showing your course of action and folllow the legal procedure. You can't just walk off the job because if you do, you have ruined any course of legal action you may of wanted to take, and the courts will ask why you haven't followed the correct procedure and why you took the law into your own hands.
In saying that, just because Walmart is using a sub-contractor doesn't mean that they are totally innocent in this case. Most companies these days now use "sub-contractors" because they know its business as usual but if anything goes wrong they can instantly wipe their hands free of any blame. But companies like Walmart should be looking a little closer into who they use as a sub-contractor, and the track record of that sub-contractor, and whether any issues may arise [safety] that may then reflect back on Walmart.
It is no different to a company like Nike saying that it has no responsibility for under age workers being used, or poorly paid workers in sweatshop conditions, to make their shoes for a sub-contractor company. Nike made their choice of sub-contracor, so any issues that arise there after have to have some of the blame accepted by Nike.But making profits AND accepting blame never seem to go hand in hand with todays larger companies. Its all about passing the buck, while making as many bucks as they can !
Here in Australia, we have an organization called Workcover which has more power than the Police, and would be all over this case, but only if the correct due process and paper trail was followed first. Is there such an organization in the US ?

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 02:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by buster2010

Originally posted by RealSpoke
Wallmart workers need a union.

Wallyworld has a team that flies around the country for the sole purpose of keeping unions out. As Sam Walton said he would close a walmart before letting a union in. How is Walmart suppose to keep getting record profits year after year if they paid their workers a decent wage?

Walmart employees take over 1.5 billion in federal aid every year because of low pay.

not just a team flying around (don't know if i ran into them or not). but i do know that being part of changeover from another retailer and opening new stores that wal-mart is viciously anti-union. on several occasions when working on opening day wal-mart management walked around and laid the law down with employees one on one (no witnesses that way). i was told pretty much the same thing each time. "if someone comes up and starts talking union with you, you must disengage as soon as possible and inform management who it was, so they could be kicked out, if you fail to do this you will be fired". and "if a store by chance does try to form a union then we will just shut down the store and move elsewhere, like across the street".

then it happened a couple stores DID go union. the government stepped in and did not allow them to close the stores. right away something interesting happened. i walked into the break lounge a couple days later to find small piles of pamphlets made out of standard paper, no wal-mart header or anything (i guess so could deny it), lying on all the tables. these pamphlets told us that yes the union store employees would be getting a raise but barely enough to cover union dues. then went on to tell about how wal-mart was going to screw the stores by removing all bonuses that all stores received (these bonuses started to go away after a couple years anyway). and the fact they would not be getting the new health plan that all of a sudden we got. from talking to people at the time it was an awesome plan. yet again through the years the employees ended up paying more and more of the cost, and the quality of the benefits went down, (go figure it was just another union breaking tactic). there were many other things as well but i can't remember them, and the copy i had went missing when my car was broken into not too long afterwards so i no longer have a copy i can refer to.

strangely enough just a couple years later those stores closed down as wal-mart claimed they were loosing money. i often wonder if those stores got "remodeled", as that is a cute trick wal-mart uses to lower bonuses based on profit as they take the cost of any renovations as lost profit. they even spread it out a few years from what i saw.

i know a lot of people hate unions as they see them to just give workers high wages driving costs up, and disrupting different services they rely on when they strike. but wal-mart NEEDS A UNION. the workers do suffer mental abuse and chastisement for things out of their control. make you work other departments then yell at you for not getting your work done in your own department. they give "light duties" for injuries that go against what a doctor calls for, then harass you when you complain, and go on about how lucky they are providing said light duties so you will not loose pay. even complain about taking time to go to the doctor for a work injury. i suspect that they have fellow employees also harass you for "faking it". i know they DO let everyone know that they are faking it using rumor. they will not lift a finger to stop their favorite employees for harassing others including when it is people trying to set you up for shoplifting by hiding both product and security tags in personal belongings, heck they won't even investigate it. some employees are expected to work like dogs while others who management like don't have to do anything. they make you break laws. they continue operating when safety equipment is broken, and insist that it works fine. they expect you to cut corners on work but watch out if a customer complains, and harrass those that do not cut the corners that they are useless and not fast enough, siteing the time it takes those who do not do the job properly as good workers when they know well they are not doing the job properly and/or safely. they EXPECT you to do paperwork off the clock as they don't give enough time to do it and everything else they require and whine and harass when it is not done. even tho working off the clock is a firing offence. i guess that is so if you complain they can fire you stating that, that is against policy and is indeed a firing offence. and many other things. they will tell you that your job is permanent and then after inventory or christmass you are let go as it was only a temporary job (i consoled a few of these unfortunate people). and sadly the power they hold over you is actually having a job, good luck getting another.

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 08:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by jplaysguitar
is this even legal?
insane that instead of actuly take care of folks that run the company... thay have them arrested!
its like slavery

Law isn't about justice or what's right. Today it's torn between enabling coexistence and protecting the ruling class (the owners, establishment) from "the others".
en.wikipedia.org...
The law is what those in power say it is. A tool.
What you see there, protesters been taken care of by police, is corruption. Or the ruling class protecting itself. All nice and legal.
“Oh, won’t somebody please think of the ch...ch...shareholders!”

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 12:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Swills

GEE Even the nazis didnt allow this

May as well buy whatever you can online (even from China) and forget wallymart

its for wally's

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join