It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Walmart Workers Ask For Basic Rights, Walmart Calls Riot Police

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 11:39 AM
link   
Looks like the Police, that are paid by the taxpayers are actually working for the corporations and not the

citizens they have sworn to "Protect and Serve". Corporate Fascism paid for by the workers.

God help us!
edit on 2-10-2012 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 11:48 AM
link   
The police are right to remove these people. They are not the warehouse workers, it is a completely different group that is trying to put pressure on Wall mart to put a Union in there so they can get a share of the money that Wall Mart brings in.

And i'm sorry, but Unions are corrupt as hell. It's not about the workers, it's all about the money.

If Wall Mart were to be unionized, that would mean millions more dollars for the Unions.

That's 44 million Americans that works for Wall Mart. Union dues can be from $30 to $60 a month.

At just $30 a month that's a whopping total of $1,320,000,000 a month.

None of which will go to the workers, it will go to the expensive lawyers and union bosses.

And in order to compensate for that loss, Wall Mart will have to raise prices.

So no, I just can not in all good conscious support the Unions.

Keep them out of Wall mart.

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 11:52 AM
link   
The profit margins at WalMart
can easily support paying and treating their
employees with respect .
I think it's better PR than shooting them with sound canons.

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 12:03 PM
link   
reply to post by sealing

And that's the lie the Unions perpetrate. Wall mart does pay them better than minimum wage.

What unions want to do is hike that up to twenty dollars or so an hour and then charge a monthly fee which will take away from that raise.

So really, it's all a Union scam.

And people fall for it thinking the unions are for them.

They aren't It's just another way for the bosses to drive really expensive luxury cars and live in very expensive homes.

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 12:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by detachedindividual

So you think it's fine for a private corporate police force - with no responsibility to the people, the state or the country - to have access to things like LRAD, batons, armor?

In America Corporations can own Fully Automatic Machine guns, silencers.

Tactical Air Defense Services owns full blown military combat jets like F-16's,A-4's, Migs.....

Firms like BlackWater own even better stuff.

Don't worry about them though. Worry about the assets in Space that Corporations own. They got some scary stuff that if the world knew about you'd see mass riots globally.

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 12:22 PM
link   
Corporations abhor regulations
but enjoy regulating Workers.

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 12:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Pervius

Originally posted by detachedindividual

So you think it's fine for a private corporate police force - with no responsibility to the people, the state or the country - to have access to things like LRAD, batons, armor?

In America Corporations can own Fully Automatic Machine guns, silencers.

Tactical Air Defense Services owns full blown military combat jets like F-16's,A-4's, Migs.....

Firms like BlackWater own even better stuff.

Don't worry about them though. Worry about the assets in Space that Corporations own. They got some scary stuff that if the world knew about you'd see mass riots globally.

I'm not sure what your meaning is here. I can own a heavy machine gun with a silencer to stick on it...if anyone ever makes a giant can big enough to handle the abuse. lol.... There are entire clubs in Arizona that do nothing but bounce around the desert shooting their .50 M-2 machine guns. It takes a permit from ATF and then a tax stamp per gun...but, so? Corps can have them as well? Well, indeed. It's Illinois, but still kinda free there.

In this case though, yeah... The Corporation did have guns. Thousands of them and stored inside the warehouse these idiots were menacing by sheer numbers, tone and attitude. They absolutely CANNOT allow a storage location with thousands of firearms to be looted. Not now, not ever. Period. Full stop.

So...I'm guessing ANYONE who shows up to a Walmart D.C. or the Bass Pro distribution center, where it's located....would meet the same thing. MAJOR force just outside of engagement.....and then fully engaging as the mob gets close enough to make the line between protest and true mob too thin and quick to risk anymore.

Doom on people who use numbers and mass to threaten in situations where the threat WILL be taken at face value and responded to in kind. Don't be so shocked when the bully-boy protest tactics actually do bring capable response occasionally. I'd expect to see more of it, actually. Occupy pretty well destroyed tolerance for protest beyond the small group with quiet picket lines.

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 01:25 PM
link   
Apologies if this has been posted but the security forces seen are from the ILEAS (Illinois Law Enforcement Alarm System).

www.ileas.org...

They are a non profit corporation funded by the Department of Homeland Security to help assist Law enforcement agencies.

The ILEAS Foundation is a not-for-profit organization dedicated to supporting law enforcement in Illinois. The Foundation raises private funds to create safer communities by investing in state-of-the-art equipment and professional training to build on the strengths of every police officer and deputy in Illinois. The ILEAS Foundation is an 11-501(c)(3) not-for-profit corporation formed in 2009. The Foundation was formed to support local law enforcement in Illinois outside of the standard government grant process.

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 01:29 PM
link   
Why do I find this more horrifying and upsetting than anything I've heard in the past month or so?

These are workers expressing their concerns over the company and the riot squad comes in? Really?

Maybe this country is going downhill after all.

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 01:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by olaru12
reply to post by Swills

How does it feel to stare into the face of the future?

Corporate private police with the authority to arrest, detain and prosecute American citizens.

I there any doubt we live in a growing corporatacracy?

I know..right? Scary.. But I do have to ask, why not take this down to something more simple that is manageable. Why don't we all just stop shopping at wal-mart.. there are plenty of wal-mart like stores that do operate with the care of their employees...

To me it is as simple as that... if not, why?

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 01:38 PM
link   
(YAWN) shocking...corporations screwing their non-union workers....and wal-mart owners just can't seem to live on their meager earnings:
en.wikipedia.org...

they need "obviously" more billions so their many grandkids can have billions,... that's what those greedy, selfish, workers need to understand, but they are just too stupid.....leeches!

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 03:07 PM
link   
Some of you guys obviously didn't read my post to the end. And some obviously did not read the article. So let me clarify.

The people who are striking against walmart do not actually work for walmart, they work for a contractor hired by walmart that works for the warehouse. Stopping business....will solve what? NOTHING. NOTHING at all. Think about it. They are greedy #s, what do you think will happen. THey'll just shut everything down and everyone will be screwed over.....

Perfect example is what happened in China. All those protestors stopping businesses, destroying stuff...expecting no back lash, yet in the end they get screwed themselves over....soo many businesses closed down, so many lost their jobs, and their stock market is tanking.

They're working low paying jobs in unsafe conditions....Why wouldn't you quit? They could find an equivalent job somewhere else. Looking at indeed.com and monster.com there are jobs in elwood, il that these people could easily qualify for.

Some of you didn't read the end, where i said they should get someone from their labor union or representative or whatever to actually have a meeting with a walmart representative. Protesting won't make the company want to play nice....threatening/blackmail/manipulating behind closed doors will.

Lets look at some more facts. Here's something from the sun times "Walmart hired Schneider National Inc. to manage its warehouse in Elwood; Schneider hired Roadlink Workforce Solutions to staff the warehouse. On Sept. 13, two days before the strike began, workers filed a federal lawsuit charging Roadlink with wage theft and other labor infractions."

They don't work for Walmart.......

Here's something from chicago business to prove my point "Four Roadlink employees at the Elwood site, including Phillip Bailey, a freight handler, filed suit against the company on Sept. 13, alleging the company has failed to pay required minimum wages and overtime pay, short-changed workers on their hours and did not provide employees with written time records.

Wal-Mart isn't a defendant in the class-action case, which was filed in U.S. District Court in Chicago."

You guys can name call me all you want. But please read everything available. Stopping Walmart is impossible as of yet, people want cheaper and cheaper goods and want it conveniently placed so they can buy it in one location. If you want to stop walmart, you have to make people realize that they higher quality items is a better choice, last longer and better.

So many of you guys call me a monster, ignorant troll. BUT GUESS WHAT???? THEY DO NOT WORK FOR WALMART. Walmart contracts another company. Why are they doing this to an active walmart store and not the warehouse or the company that hired them?

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 04:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by detachedindividualThis is insane!

Welcome to the America of today.

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 04:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by EvilSadamClone
reply to post by sealing

And that's the lie the Unions perpetrate. Wall mart does pay them better than minimum wage.

What unions want to do is hike that up to twenty dollars or so an hour and then charge a monthly fee which will take away from that raise.

So really, it's all a Union scam.

And people fall for it thinking the unions are for them.

They aren't It's just another way for the bosses to drive really expensive luxury cars and live in very expensive homes.

That is a lie!

Without my union I would have no health insurance, no retirement and no recourse if hurt on the job. My Union provides both.
I don't mind paying my dues for representation at my work place and job site. My union filed suite and managed to get me wages that were owed to me after 9 years that the production company refused to pay.
My union paid for my training and apprenticeship.
We need more unions so the American working man can have safe working conditions and fair wages.

Unions.... the people that brought you weekends. Do some research and find out what unions did for the American working man instead of just parroting back conservative Rush Limbaugh BS.

In unity there is strength.

This is my Union that I am a proud member of...

www.sagaftra.org...
edit on 2-10-2012 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 05:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Svipdagr

It's called WORKER'S RIGHTS.

Don't like it? Move to China. This is the United States of America. We deserve better than what is happening to you and I.
edit on 2-10-2012 by SeventhSeal because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 06:01 PM
link   
reply to post by rocha123

Well if those "People" that run walmart have gone this far to do all of this I would assume the protestors are being tortured "for information"
or even worse.

The Sadistic nature of some people's mind is truly staggering.

I can totally see Walmarts having underground levels with things like laboratories and I suppose torture devices probably an electric chair with a viewing room so people can watch live executions whenever they want.

Popcorn anyone?
edit on 2-10-2012 by Gestas because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 06:20 PM
link   
I worked out at that WalMart warehouse in Elwood for about a week. I ended up with shinsplints in both legs and limped out of the place the last night I worked there. Nobody working there gave me a second glance - even though I told the people I was working for I got hurt on the job. The doctor had me on steroids for a week afterwards. I never heard back from the Temp company that sent me there.

Originally posted by EvilSadamClone

Funny, I only got minimum wage when I worked at that Walmart warehouse in Elwood.
edit on 2-10-2012 by CryHavoc because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 06:27 PM
link   
reply to post by SeventhSeal

I didn't say anything about worker's rights. All I said is that they are misdirecting their protest to the wrong company. Though walmart chose to contract roadlink and schneiders working solutions, it is roadlink's decisions in the end that lead to this. Why don't they protest Roadlink? Why not protest the warehouse? or Schneiders? Why not videotape and release all the unsafe working conditions and the sexual harassment and demeaning conditions?

If they released photos or videos, the MSM would go into a frenzy, and all these workers will be given a ton of money and the company would be forced to change. Look what happens when PETA releases those videos of animals being tortured, complete public backlash.

If you want my opinion? Of course I'm all for worker's rights. But there are so many companies, unions, laws, insurance issues that just mess everything up. Look at Chicago's teacher's strike, they're paid more and more, and have more and more benefits...and yet they want more even though the Kids keep failing. Or even how Apple contracts Foxxconn which literally is the epitomy of modern day slavery. Unions and companies are both at fault.

What ever happened to a handshake making a deal? To a circular board room so people can talk on equal terms? Or even a suggestion box that is actually read and used?

So what do you suggest would be the right course of action to "fix" this situation? More money more problems.

I'll tell you how we fixed this problem in where I live in NY..long island to be specific. We are one of the wealthiest middle class towns in America, and not due to slave labor or anything like that. Our town council banned all big business in our area. There is no Walmart or anything like that close by. Minimum Wage for us even working as a bussboy is $10-15/hour. Not because we're told to. Because we want it to be. Everyone profits. No one here sues eachother for anything minor. Car hits another car, scrapes another car. No lawsuit, maybe a little money to fix the car, no insurance companies involved, and we walk away. We dont have incidents of people suiing businesses for abuseful treatment, though there have been lawsuits, they have been dismissed (other workers supporting the business)

So how about you shut down the Walmarts and other big businesses, by using the full power of the local government, problem solved. To me? I would never work for someone who wasn't involved with all aspects of a business. And it seems to have worked quite well for my area. I've never seen a protest or anything here. Cops are friendly as hell and none of that abuse nonsense (cops would sometimes give me rides home when they saw me walking home from school).

edit on 2-10-2012 by Svipdagr because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 07:15 PM
link   
Protests have to be done legally and what Walmart did was legally their right since it's their private property. The only thing that Walmart has to worry about is if those guards will take them to jail without harming them because for some reason you can sue over the smallest simplest little thing in the US. These workers don't need a union, and they are workers for their own company, not Walmart.

People know how to get the message across but they won't resort to violence or conning, so they never do win. If you want to win at the game of politics you have to play dirty like the guys on top play dirty. These mall cops were legally allowed to do what they are doing because blocking business is an act of aggression towards the company. Either you're prepared to go all out in a protest or you stay home.

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 08:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Em2013
Protests have to be done legally and what Walmart did was legally their right since it's their private property.

And who makes the rules?

The point of protesting is lost when you have follow someone else's law.

<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join