It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Walmart Workers Ask For Basic Rights, Walmart Calls Riot Police

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 1 2012 @ 11:02 PM
link   
This is your authoritarian capitalist system at work. Stop supporting it.

It's not the government you should fear, but capitalist corporate authority. The government we have is a product of the authoritarian capitalist system we have.

Worker ownership is what we need to end this.

posted on Oct, 1 2012 @ 11:03 PM
link   
They should Not have rights..get them back to work!..

posted on Oct, 1 2012 @ 11:06 PM
link   
reply to post by AlreadyGone

I have been able to boycott Walmart for 11 years now,
passengers in my car smile as I drive by and refer to it as,
The McDonald's with a Walmart in it.

No inconvenience by not shopping there,
Walmart has nothing to share but,
abuse of employees,
that I want no part of.

posted on Oct, 1 2012 @ 11:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by jplaysguitar
reply to post by Jazz87

the only resone why thay might be able to pull this legaly is with property rights.... but yea i would like to see epic batle of local Police sqaure off with securty to "protect" employees

This is in So Cal. If it were the LAPD or the Fullerton/ Anaheim PD they wouldn't have the stones for an equal fight so Wally's rent-a-cops would win.

posted on Oct, 1 2012 @ 11:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Rudy2shoes

Rarely do I ever shop at Walmart so that would make it all the easier to boycott it. Same goes for McDonalds

edit on 1-10-2012 by Swills because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2012 @ 11:22 PM
link   
Human beings in low paid jobs are meant to be quiet , to work under conditions , the employers wouldn't want their kids ever having to spend their lives doing, but,,,,, and here is a very important side of some human beings nature, those who make profit by others sweat , know the people who will tolerate it ...are the desperate ones, those who cannot get another.... better job, those who know there are thousands of unemployed people in their town, who want to work.
They the employers do not respect these employees who work for peanuts, yes they do not want people with options working for them they want desperate people.
That way nothing changes, no pay increases or better working conditions, brought about by valued employees , who have confidence in themselves, no the world over is to show no respect to the monkeys you employ, replace any monkey who complains, get it?
Now in this ever changing world, any American , Austraian , Brit, ect knows their are visa Indians, visa Chinese queing to take their jobs, some people cannot afford to quit even a low paid job, else they are homeless.

Some of these people have more intelligence than the bosses, but life isn't always fair, unions were created by desperate people to improve their lives, but now if you stand up you are knocked down and replaced by people who often aren't even permanent residents of your country.
White collar people on this site , or doing well tradesmen, small business people have often no concept of poverty, of lack of options, they label the suckers working for a fifth of what they earn as dumb, lazy, naive ect.

Every human being deserves a fair days pay for a fair days work safe from unsafe working conditions, not just some humans, but every human, be they Taxi Drivers, Police Officers , Walmart workers,Clerks, Parking attendants, secretarys, Security men/women, street sweepers, miners, hot dog sellers, ect ect ect.

Contracting rates were the reason many unions formed, now in the supposedly more civilized present we have people working on contracts, working for half the minimum wage, no benefits ie holiday, sick, or pension .

This is the reality , this is our childrens future, because we have been programmed to believe unions are not required anymore, the employer will be fair, the safeguards will protect you.

No one will protect you....we are all on our own, that is why unions were formed.

posted on Oct, 1 2012 @ 11:22 PM
link   
Something about this story makes no sense.

The exceptionally crappy pictures.. security force with "police" written on their uniforms? With an LRAD?

I almost looks like a staged police practice or something.. no security force that well armed would ever -- ever -- put "police" on their uniform. It's an instance lawsuit with an instant loss. Private security firms will also never --- ever --- arrest someone unless it's a violent crime and declared a "civilian arrest" or unless the security team was "deputized" (in which case they must perform the exact same standards as police or again.. big ass lawsuit.

It's a very, very black and white issue. So.. something about this story makes no sense at all.

And why are the Wal Mart workers wearing Chicago Teachers Union t-shirts?

posted on Oct, 1 2012 @ 11:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tardacus
It was only 38 people protesting and they caused the warehouse to be shutdown preventing other employees who work there from doing their jobs and making a living.
They don`t have a right to conduct their protest on private property they should have been doing that on public property and they wouldnt have been arrested.

Walmart can kiss my ass!

posted on Oct, 1 2012 @ 11:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Rockpuck

I know right?

Check out the latest news, video AND LRAD included! Also,

Once there, squad cars from the Will County sheriff’s police and Elwood police flanked the group to the north and south and about 25 riot police from a Mobile Field Force Team gathered on the other side of the fence in the Walmart warehouse parking lot.

southtownstar.suntimes.com...

Also, the Teachers Union was supporting them, part of the 600ish, and that's probably because they have no union to call their own.

The rally organized by Warehouse Workers for Justice (WWJ) drew an estimated 600 people — including many from unions, community organizations and faith-based groups in Chicago — to the Elwood site. They gathered in a park on Deer Run and walked, sang and chanted along Mississippi Avenue on their way to the warehouse’s shipping entrance on Centerpoint Drive.

edit on 1-10-2012 by Swills because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2012 @ 11:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by ldyserenity
If they had unsafe working conditions why not just contact OSHA where they will investigate and God forbid somebody gets hurt while they are investigating then they will be paying a large fine and forced to fix the issues? Or did our government already go lax with the OSHA regs and I wasn't informed?

if the OSHA is like things like WSIB in Canada, good luck as they will call first and let the company know when they will show up so the company can clean up it's act for that day, then right back to normal. happened to me at that store chain in regards to proper light duties while injured on company time.

posted on Oct, 1 2012 @ 11:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Svipdagr

Sure, just quit and get another job...Are you for real? What they are doing is putting themselves on the line for themselves AND for others that are afraid to. You're right though, Walmart will never change...as long as everyone sits on their butts and doesn't fight back.
Keep drinking the KoolAid, we'll do the fighting for you too. Oh and enjoy the freedom that everyone else is fighting for you to have.

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 01:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Swills

Ok, that makes more sense (that the union was supporting them, and that it was not a private security firm but the actual police.)

Even a little bit of wrong info or missing info changes a story entirely.

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 01:38 AM
link   
Wow,

Walmart has a nice Army. Military grade humvee's not available to the public....military LRAD sound weapon....

I really liked the little touches like the SWAT guy with "medic" on his uniform but still carrying a sidearm.

I'm going to tell you a little secret. When Ronald Reagan became PResident the country was broke so to fix it....he set up little Trust Funds for each Federal Agency and put a little money in them and told alll the Federal Agencies to go out and invest so they have something to operate off of.

Walmart's creation came from one of those Federal Agency Trust Funds. It's actually ran by.....who controls their money. A certain Federal Agency....you can figure it out.

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 02:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Swills

if they're a private security firm, why do they have police plastered all over the tactical vests.

the apathy in america is mind boggling.

every body is just giving up.

why didn't the protesters call the real police and make sure what they are doing is even legal.

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 02:27 AM
link   
Walmart is like any other large corporation today. They are proifit based and guess what, those profits mean your safety isn't garaunteed because "safety" eats into the profits, and when companies put profits ahead of everything else, then workers safety is the first thing sacrificed for profits. And if that company is listed on the stock exchange and has shareholders, then your safety and your job will be sacrificed for the shareholders to make even more profits !
So stop believing what you are told by the companies PR agents in your job interview, and start realising how companies operate, and start targeting the root cause rather then targeting the outcome and fallout from that root cause !
And IF those "police officers" were hired by the company, then they are NOT Police, they are security guards regardless of what is written on the front of their riot vests.
And i certainly hope they aren't real police officers, or if they are i hope they are being paid by Walmart to work in their own private time, because it would be a bit rich seeing a police officer receive a government [tax-payer] salary while then "moonlighting" on tax-payer time to protect the interests of a company !

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 02:31 AM
link   
reply to post by AussieDingus

And what is that root cause?

Anyone?

Capitalism! The private ownership of the means of production. Corporations are simply capitalists collectivizing to protect their wealth from bad business decisions.

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 02:37 AM
link   
*Another thread came up and got closed...the OP and I both having missed this one having been started..so I'll post here instead.

Might not be what everyone wants to hear, but it's honest. How many have been into a Wal-Mart D.C.? Hundreds of times, all over the nation? Here's my take...

Well, we all have our own opinion about things but having been a driver and knowing Walmart Distribution Centers from that side of the coin for most of my career, I don't have any sympathy for these people. 16 hour days? Never know when the day will end? I don't know what part of the warehouse they worked in but the Office people definitely leave at quitting time at a Wal-Mart D.C. and I've waited many long hours because shift change has to happen like clock work there and it means 45 minutes to an hour of no activity in unloading. Quite predictably. I'd mention something about attitudes...and how universal a problem some things were for that, too.

Any driver here who has been into a Walmart D.C personally ought to agree, they are among the worst warehouses. Grocery Warehouses are worse, but only marginally and in their own special hell kinda way. lol

The force isn't at all surprising if they had over 600 people. This isn't a store. This is an ENORMOUS Distribution facility/warehouse in the middle of nowhere and among it's many items in quantities fit to serve the whole region of stores are firearms and/or ammunition.

What's in the store comes from somewhere and one of those DC's service anything from half a state to parts of multiple states. 650 people could have broken in and looted the place...and umm.. No.. not with what a D.C. has. That's the flat wrong place to protest in force that can intimidate or actually overrun the few 'Loss prevention' people they normally have.

Honestly, I've never seen the Walmart cops though. I'd heard rumors... but rumors like Easter Bunnys and Unicorns. I'll be damned... they do have some huh?

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 03:34 AM
link   
police uniform with no badge/number showing = swing with glee cause they aint real coppas, should have done it on the street infront of gates, then no trespassing ^^ either

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 03:39 AM
link   
Walwart should shoot every last one of them.

God Bless America
edit on 2-10-2012 by campanionator because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 03:47 AM
link   
HOLY CRAP!

Wal-Mart has its own swat team style security force....!?!?

That is so strange.....it is like umbrella corporation meets a super store bazaar......

What the hell......I can't imagine who thought that up.....that episode of south park comes to mind....and family guy...

Super stores are a thing from hell.....

just wow....

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join