It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mona Eltahawy, a pro-Israel ad, and the NYPD

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 1 2012 @ 05:35 PM
link   

I'm surprised this hasn't been posted before on here. There are so many things that are wrong with this video!

Here's a little background on the women: Mona Eltahawy is an Egyptian born, United States citizen who is incredibly vocal against radical Islam, particularly with regards to the oppression of women. She was in the news almost a year ago when she was arrested while covering the protests in Tahrir Square. During her twelve hours in custody she was allegedly physically and sexually assaulted. Pam Geller, the woman behind the ads, is Jewish and an equally outspoken supporter of Israel. Geller claims that since her ad uses the word "Jihad" instead of "Muslim" it is directed solely at extremists and terrorists.

Firstly, the sign was ruled in court that it could not be rejected due to its offensive nature. The MTA at first had barred the ads from being placed, but that was overruled as being protected by the First Amendment. So, while the ads are inflammatory, unclear, and offensive, Geller had the law on her side in placing the ads.

Secondly, what Mona is doing is expressing her right to free speech in the wrong manner. She seems to think that free speech also allows for vandalism, especially of another's right to free speech. She could have just as easily told people passing by her views on the ad, handed out papers about her views on the ad, taken out an opposing ad near this inflammatory ad, or so much more. On top of that, she is hardly exercising her right to non-violent protest. There is some pretty clear assault on the woman attempting to block her vandalism by spraying her with paint. Assault is used in terms of substantial certainty there was unwanted touching of another person or belongings attached to them involved.

Lastly, the police were clearly out of line. Obviously she was willfully committing vandalism and assaulting the other woman and the arrest is within reason, but when Mona, also within her rights, asks what she is being arrested for the arresting officer just scoffs and sarcastically says, "For what? You're under arrest." She repeatedly asked the arresting officers, who were not able to, at least on video, tell her why she was being detained. That's a pretty obvious neglect of position on their part.

Regardless of this all, it's a pretty amazing publicity stunt for both sides. If only our legislative branch could work together so well!

EDIT: Having some trouble in getting the YouTube video to embed. It can also be viewed here.
edit on 10/1/2012 by cmdrkeenkid because: Having difficulty with the YouTube embedding.

posted on Oct, 1 2012 @ 05:41 PM
link   
reply to post by cmdrkeenkid

This story hasn't been posted on ATS yet? Hmmm, yeah that is odd. In any case, while I totally disagree with the Israeli ads I fully support their right to exist. The woman was clearly vandalizing the posters so what did she expect?

posted on Oct, 1 2012 @ 05:41 PM
link   
It's been posted before.

Search more relevant terms.

www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 1-10-2012 by DaTroof because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2012 @ 05:47 PM
link   
reply to post by DaTroof

Thanks for the help. I searched by her name, figuring that would be enough. I suppose this thread should be closed then.

new topics

top topics

join