It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russian SUV struck by Lightning

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 1 2012 @ 05:28 PM
link   
The National Weather Service reports that a persons odds of being struck by lightning are around 1 in 775-000 Meet the unfortunate 1 in that statistic

Youtube

news.yahoo.com...
Picture
www.dailymail.co.uk...
Though this must of been terriffing for the driver The Faraday Cage principle would have protected the occupants
But probably not their pants

Cran

posted on Oct, 1 2012 @ 05:37 PM
link   
Wow, a real life Mario Kart situation

posted on Oct, 1 2012 @ 06:15 PM
link   
Thor return?

posted on Oct, 1 2012 @ 06:17 PM
link   
That is the first time I have ever heard of lightning hitting a vehicle especially one moving in an open area. There were tall buildings all around it with lightning rods and that bolt of lightning picked that target.

Everyone is taught that it is safer in your car than your house because of the tires. Maybe the rims were really big and the tires were really small and the water was up to the rims? Either way that bolt of lightning went to ground through the vehicle somehow.

I am surprised it didn't blow the wheel off. Really cool video.

posted on Oct, 1 2012 @ 06:34 PM
link   

"If He was going 88 Miles per hour he would have ended up in 1950" - Rob

ProjectMayhem 16 hours ago

That's quite a video. In russia having dash cams seems quite popular considering all the fail vids I've seen from them. Do they get better insurance or what?

posted on Oct, 1 2012 @ 06:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by PsykoOps

"If He was going 88 Miles per hour he would have ended up in 1950" - Rob

ProjectMayhem 16 hours ago

That's quite a video. In russia having dash cams seems quite popular considering all the fail vids I've seen from them. Do they get better insurance or what?

Dash-cams: Russia’s Last Hope For Civility And Survival On The Road

posted on Oct, 1 2012 @ 07:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by onecraftydude

Everyone is taught that it is safer in your car than your house because of the tires. Maybe the rims were really big and the tires were really small and the water was up to the rims? Either way that bolt of lightning went to ground through the vehicle somehow.

The lightning had come several thousand feet without a conductive car so I doubt the extra couple of inches of wheel rubber would bother it

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 12:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by onecraftydude

Some are taught that. They are taught wrong. The tires would have to be about 2 miles thick to offer any protection. It is the Faraday Cage principle which protects them .. which as you noted forces the bolt around the outside of the car only and to the ground. This will happen in any metal car, tires will never offer any protection, ever.

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 04:17 PM
link   
Top Gear - Richard Hammond struck by lightning in car by 800-000 volts
Lightning Strike at 3.38

Cran

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 04:57 PM
link   
Lightning hits Truck
It is near the end of the video but the whole of the clip is worth a watch for the storm footage

The People out walking must be mad

Cran

top topics

join