Anti-GMO researchers used science publication to manipulate the press

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join

posted on Oct, 1 2012 @ 05:07 PM
link   

Anti-GMO researchers used science publication to manipulate the press

arstechnica.com

Very little of the public gets their information directly from scientists or the publications they write. Instead, most of us rely on accounts in the media, which means reporters play a key role in highlighting and filtering science for the public. And—through embargoed material, press releases, and personal appeals—journals and institutions vie for press attention as a route to capturing the public's imagination.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Monsanto's Fading Grasp Group Calls on South Africa to Ban GMO

posted on Oct, 1 2012 @ 05:07 PM
link   
The media continues to spin this into a soap opera... (which sort of makes sense since that their primary business nowadays).

Apparently the barrage of anti-"anti-GMO" media continues ... the latest installment is in....

But these problems were only the beginning. As more critical reports began to appear and scientist/bloggers looked at the results, huge issues were made clear. The authors used a strain of rats that is prone to tumors late in life. Every single experimental condition was compared to a single control group of only 10 rats, and some of the experimental groups were actually healthier than the controls. The authors didn't use a standard statistical analysis to determine whether any of the experimental groups had significantly different health problems. And so on.

The experts who weighed in were dismissive. One called the work "a statistical fishing trip" while another said the lack of proper controls meant "these results are of no value." One report quoted a scientist at UC Davis as saying, "There is very little scientific credibility to this paper. The flaws in the test are just incredible to me."

As you can see... by the strength of the objections, it took nearly a full week before they could break out the heavy guns....

Interestingly this author appears us to want us to believe the assertion they used for there subtitle"

Researchers handed media a flawed paper, but forbid any consulting of experts

Actually they didn't "forbid" anything... they simply objected because the agency which was going to "review" the research had already issued their determination that the GMO product in question was "safe."

arstechnica.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 2-10-2012 by Maxmars because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2012 @ 05:15 PM
link   
The majority of human beings were born into this reality without the need for bio-genetic engineering; how does it serve human beings to consume genetically modified food? Nature > Science

posted on Oct, 1 2012 @ 05:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by sgspecial19
The majority of human beings were born into this reality without the need for bio-genetic engineering; how does it serve human beings to consume genetically modified food? Nature > Science

Nature nearly wiped us out a few times as well. I don't think the argument is nature vs. science so much as, what science is beneficial and what isn't?

In the case of GMO, some probably shouldn't be on the market or so widely used, but others like enzyme producing organisms are able to do things that were simply impossible without genetic engineering. -With the potential to create fuels, chemicals and other nifty things that simply weren't possible before or were extremely toxic to the environment.

In any case, the GMO saga continues...

posted on Oct, 1 2012 @ 05:36 PM
link   
Wow, it's so surprising that this isn't surprising!!!
I was going to make a rant in the rant section
Let me just go off here!!

I recently started going to an organic store
I drink east indian ginger tea DAILY, for like 10yrs now
My ginger roots always looked huge

Then I went to this orgranic store and they were so small
I asked why, they said because it's not GMO
I was like how did I not know this already?
I almost felt ashamed of myself

I bought a few, did some research and they were correct
Not only that we bought Tomatoes, sweet onions and many other things
Everything lasted soooo much longer than GMO fruits and vegetables and SO MUCH TASTIER!!!!

They say organic food is expensive... no... because they last longer
Many times I apparently bought GMO fruits and vegetables and fugus apperead while in the fridge
Organic fruits last soo longggg, vegetables too
The store also mentioned absolutely everthing in their store is not GMO
Their HQ also said the same after I called

On another day I went to buy deodarant......remembered a geneticist saying if you don't know some of the ingredients because they sound too chemical while reading ingrediants do not buy them
But he was talking about food
But still I didn't recognize some of the ingredients for these deodorants, including old spice my favorite
And I did some searching
Damnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

Alot of these aluminum based ingredients are carcinogens or create higher levels of estrogen in males
So I bought a rock salt, it's like a crystal and you rub it in your armpit
My wife was like WHAT THE HELL IS THIS????????????

She thought it was art from a hippie's verison of captain kurk's era of star trek deodorants

Evertying is poison... what a world!!!!!

Stop eating Corn!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

posted on Oct, 1 2012 @ 06:33 PM
link   
Americans have no say into what goes into their food whether it be additives, GMO, steroids, etc. Why....

Because companies like Monsanto have a huge forces of lobbyist, plenty of money, and influence in government.

Campaign contributions get results when it comes to voting on specific laws pertaining to agriculture and food preparation/manufacturing. The American people are at the mercy of corporations..

www.foodsafetynews.com...

And if Companies like Monsanto can infulence government; they can influence the media thru advertising, and intimidation.

www.pakalertpress.com...
edit on 1-10-2012 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2012 @ 06:50 PM
link   
The soap opera is only going to get worse unless we get some studies done to reinforce the French findings because every time proof of GMO being bad is released it is always "debunked" by their interest holders who have every reason to lie and even object to further study.
edit on 1-10-2012 by Corruption Exposed because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2012 @ 07:01 PM
link   
Why am I not surprised. Here is a good article on how to avoid GMO's:

blogs.webmd.com...

posted on Oct, 1 2012 @ 09:20 PM
link   
Its kinda funny how the Zombie appocalypto
is made to be something unreal,. when in fact the majority
of the people on the planet are just that,.. Kept in a state of "Zombie" by the media
paid by companies like monsanto..
Keep em dumb and willing to eat anything we feed em... as long as its GMO

posted on Oct, 1 2012 @ 09:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

A thousand S&F's................................!!!

posted on Oct, 1 2012 @ 10:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by boncho

Nature nearly wiped us out a few times as well. I don't think the argument is nature vs. science so much as, what science is beneficial and what isn't?

I'll choose fruits and vegetables over ANYTHING mankind biochemically produces. The complexity in nature's foods surpass our biotechnology; even the fruits and vegetables go back eons and eons, so I truly believe nature knows what is best for our bodies...Regardless of indiscriminate weather conditions affecting human vitality.

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 05:11 AM
link   
reply to post by sgspecial19

It doesn't serve us in anyway. Monsanntos have one purpose, to sell their pesticide. They genetically modify their food to have the ability to survive their very dangerous pesticide. It's double bad for people. I have no sympathy for monsanto or gmo food creators. I hope all countries ban them or at least force labels on them.

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 05:11 AM
link   

It doesn't serve us in anyway. Monsanntos have one purpose, to sell their pesticide. They genetically modify their food to have the ability to survive their very dangerous pesticide. It's double bad for people. I have no sympathy for monsanto or gmo food creators. I hope all countries ban them or at least force labels on them.

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 06:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by boncho

I'll choose fruits and vegetables over ANYTHING mankind biochemically produces. The complexity in nature's foods surpass our biotechnology; even the fruits and vegetables go back eons and eons, so I truly believe nature knows what is best for our bodies...Regardless of indiscriminate weather conditions affecting human vitality.

A number of fruits produce cyanide (in their pits) among other things that are toxic (vegetables too)...

The kernels within the pits of some stone fruits contain a natural toxin called cyanogenic glycoside. These fruits include apricots, cherries, peaches, pears, plums and prunes. The flesh of the fruit itself is not toxic. Normally, the presence of cyanogenic glycoside alone is not dangerous. However, when kernels are chewed cyanogenic glycoside can transform into hydrogen cyanide - which is poisonous to humans. The lethal dose of cyanide ranges from 0.5 to 3.0 mg per kilogram of body weight. This is why it is not recommended to eat the kernels inside the pits of stone fruits.

www.inspection.gc.ca...

Sometimes mother nature is one of those mothers that tried to drown their baby in the bathtub...

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 06:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Corruption Exposed
The soap opera is only going to get worse unless we get some studies done to reinforce the French findings because every time proof of GMO being bad is released it is always "debunked" by their interest holders who have every reason to lie and even object to further study.

This is my take on it.
When I think of who I am going to trust, the science from a small group of people will always trump the corporately backed and paid for research.

Monsanto and their cronies can say whatever they like. I will always give the benefit of the doubt to the underdog fighting an obviously disgusting corporation.

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 09:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Corruption Exposed

Well this is the thing - it would be a good reason the researchers insisted the press do not do outside research. Truth is, everything can be be debunked, and will be. The main problem is that the "official word" from the mainstream media is still king.

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 09:55 AM
link   
reply to post by boncho

A naturally occuring substance even as toxic as cyanide is nowhere near as dangerous or unpredictable as something not created by nature and infused with a deadly chemical like roundup. I also believe they have no idea how bad nature is going to react to these unnatural additives and we could face some environmental disasters because morons thought it was a good idea to infuse poisons to our food supply.

Nature has a funny way or keeping cheques and balances and I have a bad feeling about how gmo's are going to devastate our future.

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 10:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Slickinfinity
reply to post by boncho

A naturally occuring substance even as toxic as cyanide is nowhere near as dangerous or unpredictable as something not created by nature and infused with a deadly chemical like roundup. I also believe they have no idea how bad nature is going to react to these unnatural additives and we could face some environmental disasters because morons thought it was a good idea to infuse poisons to our food supply.

Nature has a funny way or keeping cheques and balances and I have a bad feeling about how gmo's are going to devastate our future.

upsetting the balance of nature that has taken millions of years to establish will have dire consequences and most likely head us into a cascading failure in the food supply.

For once I actually agree with Boncho that there are some some scientific benefits iike enzymes for fuel in a controlled environment. However unleashing GMO plants into the environment where they can cross pollinate with other plants get into the soils etc is just irresponsible and plain stupid and will have unintended consequences.

And that is the point these bastards don't care if they destroy the planet for a buck. Monsanto has already polluted the entire planet with PCB's and we all have them in our bodies even animals in the arctic have been found to have them, all from manufacturing roundup!

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 11:30 AM
link   
Organic food is just the cool thing right now like an iPad, the fad will die out and people will see how harmless they really are

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 01:08 PM
link   

Nature keeps us living in caves and scrounging for food. Science puts men on the moon, and makes civilization possible. I can tell you which one I prefer, and it's not the one where being eaten by predators is a leading cause of death.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join