It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BREAKING NEWS: NASA/NOAA Sends Geomagnetic Storm "WARNING"

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 06:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by solarstorm

Originally posted by Phage
reply to post by jassie51289

Geomagnetic storming reached G3 levels and subsided about 15 hours ago.
Geomagnetic activity does not cause earthquakes, volcanic eruptions, hurricanes, tornadoes, or any other weather fluctuations.

How about headaches, stomach aches, flatulence, vomiting or any other bodily fluctuations?
edit on 1-10-2012 by solarstorm because: (no reason given)

Crikey, I had extreme flatulance this morning but put it down to Mars being in Virgo, you may well have hit on something there dude.

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 06:19 AM
link   
Geomagnetic Storm !! Why am i hearing so many bad things this year ..2012 has really become a scary year

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 06:46 AM
link   

Geomagnetic storming reached G3 levels and subsided about 15 hours ago.
Geomagnetic activity does not cause earthquakes, volcanic eruptions, hurricanes, tornadoes, or any other weather fluctuations.

Phage,

With all due respect, CME's do affect the weather. They may not have an effect on earthquakes, volcanoes etc but they certainly can affect the weather.

When solar radiation in these very large bursts enters the upper atmosphere it heats up, and huge spikes occur in infrared emission from nitric oxide and carbon dioxide.

These increases in upper atmosphere temperature may not have a very direct impact on the weather at that given time but it will certainly add to the effect the Ozone has on the earth and such, the weather has on the earth.

As the Sun becomes more active, Mlynczak said, it emits more ultraviolet radiation and produces more solar flares -- coronal mass ejections (CMEs) -- which are absorbed in the atmosphere. "More heating results, and the atmosphere gets warmer, and the infrared emission increases," he said.

"We don't know yet how these affect weather or climate -- likely there is not any direct effect," he said, "but there may be, over time, influences on ozone that affect climate."

Source
edit on 2/10/12 by jrmcleod because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 07:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by jassie51289

not sure if this has been posted. didnt see it when i searched. i dont know enough about this sort of thing to know what it means, but it sounds exciting.

The FAA, US Air Force, National Security Space Office and National Security Telecommunications Advisory Committee and a number of other agencies have been put on alert. and the extreme weather statement sounds intense.

www.earthchangesmedia.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

my sky tv is not getting a signal
honest just after i read most of this thread
anyone elses lostr its signal
uk chester

just checked multiroom sky and thats OK so forget what i said above

edit on 2/10/2012 by maryhinge because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 07:42 AM
link   
What interested me about this recent solar event was that the storm was caused by a filament eruption rather than a sunspot flare.

After reading a wee bit about this it appears these type of events are quite unpredictable in there affect. This was a minor C class event (3.7 I think) that caused storming that would normally be associated with a high M to low X class. Who knew.

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 08:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by jerseychannelislands
reply to post by Phage

what grade would it take to cause that or has it got didily squat to do these storms??
Exactly I'm afraid the extreme weather conditions we are all experiencing are all down to Niburu (aka) planet x but they dare not tell us it's there and on it's way getting closer, we are in for one hell of a bumpy ride.

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 08:45 AM
link   

Only from hearing people talk about geomagnetic activity causing earthquakes, volcanic eruptions, hurricanes, tornadoes, or any other weather fluctuations.

That's because you "believe" that the earths core is a solid iron. And I say "believe", and don't try to convince anyone that it is anything but a "belief".

Even though an iron core is a functional model, to theoretically describe the magnetic field of the earth. It's a completely non-functioning model, to describe the earths erratic functioning.

So, that the Sun can actually cause disaster on earth, like volcanic eruptions, hurricanes and tornadoes ... is actually quite open ... although it is not a "direct" causality.

In this case, you are just preaching your bible beliefs, phage.

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 09:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

You could not be more wrong!

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 09:22 AM
link   
Well of course the sun affects the earth. Sun light makes things grow. Stuff just pops out of the ground making food to eat and oxygen to breathe. Liquid water is an important thing too. If the Earth were a bit further out from the sun, it would be cold, like Mars. A bit closer in, hot like Venus. All that water moves about and is influenced by the earths motion, crashing into the shore and changing land form.

Tides are brought on by the moon and sun's gravity. When they combine the tides are highest. Trillions of tons of water ebb and flow, pushing down on the earths tectonic plates and yes all that weight pressing down might affect the locality and frequency of quakes from time to time.

The sun warms us, lights our way. It evaporates billions of tons of water which rain down on the growing vegetation all over the planet. Clouds, snow and ice block the suns heat keeping us cool. We breathe and eat and drink because of the Sun.

The sun also blasts the earth 24/7 with a steady "wind" of energetic particles.

Heres a bullet in flight:

And the earth:

The bullet is moving at 1200 miles per hour, the earth at 18,000 mph.

The solar wind? A million miles per hour (I think?)

Good thing the earth has a magnetic field, an atmosphere and ozone, all generated by the sun to protect us from the suns rays.

Go outside and feel the warmth. See the trees, the ocean, the wind and rain. Its good to be alive.

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 10:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

I politely disagree with your position that solar activity does not produce earthquakes. Please refer to the following study:

The aforementioned result indicates that solar flares, magnetic storms and earthquakes obey nonextensive laws which are scale invariant, and that these laws are universal in the sense that they do not depend on details concerning the actual species. The aforementioned finding could be considered as a further indication of the universality of fractal properties among a large number of various geophysical processes.

You can find the full study here: study link

Moreover, you will find in this study published by the Royal European Society that, not only does solar activity induce earthquakes, but specific planetary alignments can have this same outcome: Study

But, don't stop there...

As indicated in the first study's text, solar activity can induce complex, whole-sytem responses, one of these being an overall increase in Earth's average temperature. (It wasn't that long ago that Greenland was actually green and literally balmy. That is why the Vikings moved there and subsequently got the shock of their lives when temperatures began to plummet over the ensuing decades.) According to The Royal Society, when the average temperature goes up:

Periods of exceptional climate change in Earth history are associated with a dynamic response from the solid Earth, involving enhanced levels of potentially hazardous geological and geomorphological activity. This response is expressed through the adjustment, modulation or triggering of a wide range of surface and crustal phenomena, including volcanic and seismic activity, submarine and sub-aerial landslides, tsunamis and landslide ‘splash’ waves glacial outburst and rock-dam failure floods, debris flows and gas-hydrate destabilisation. Looking ahead, modelling studies and projection of current trends point towards increased risk in relation to a spectrum of geological and geomorphological hazards in a world warmed by anthropogenic climate change, while observations suggest that the ongoing rise in global average temperatures may already be eliciting a hazardous response from the geosphere.

Royal Society

There is significant, additional information out there, all from scholarly sources. Have at it and discover for yourself.

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 10:27 AM
link   
Thanks for the heads-up. I'll rearrange my magnets, forthwith

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 10:47 AM
link   

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 10:52 AM
link   
You can argue about whether or not the solar flare, coronal mass ejection and/or the sunspots actually affect geophysical events, or not, until the cows come home. And if you Google search long enough you can also find "experts" (note 1) to support and/or deny each and every one of them.

But the real danger from solar activity is the direct effect it can have on the earth's atmosphere and the electronics either in the sky or on the ground in the form of the power grid and it's control systems.

There has already been a solar storm strong enough to do major damage to satellites and power grids. It just didn't happen recently enough for those things to be in existence. It happened in 1859 and was called "The Carrington Event". If it were to be repeated today we would all be in trouble; anything from massively inconvenient power outages to being sent back to the early iron age for several years.

Now as we head into late 2012 and early 2013 NASA and others are warning that we are going to have one of the worst solar max events on record. But since the sun rotates in relationship to earth on about a two week cycle (360 degrees) and a solar event can originate from the sun anywhere from the solar north pole to the solar south pole (180 degrees) matter or energy ejected from the sun has a huge number of directions it can be sent out in compared to the relatively rare dead on direct aim at the earth.

If the experts (note 1 again) are correct and we actually do have the worst solar max ever as to the number and severity of events then what we are really seeing is an increase in the odds that we could be hit with a "Carrington Event", or worse, blast from the sun. This is not a guarantee that we are "in for it"; just that we will be "playing in heavier than normal traffic" so to speak. We could get lucky and nothing will come of it or we could get extremely unlucky and be in for a very rough ride, or anything in between.

NOTE-1 The etiology of the word "expert". "X" is the unknown quantity and "SPURT" is a drip under pressure.

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 11:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hefficide

Interestingly enough, I slept late today and woke up to tornado warnings here. (Georgia). Whether or not this is correlative I don't know. But interesting.

S&F

~Heff

Had them here in IL as well. Although they were scheduled I believe, first tuesday of the month @10:30am

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 11:58 AM
link   
reply to post by MrMaybeNot

Do you really think I haven't seen those studies before?

The first study you cite associates increased earthquake activity with the Solar minimum. The second study says that increased solar activity causes increased earthquake activity.

There seems to be a bit of a conflict between those two studies but neither one seems to state that earthquakes are directly affected by CMEs.

Please provide a citation from Dr. Ernest Hildner stating that he supports the idea that solar activity affects earthquakes.
Please provide a citation from Dr. Tom Van Flandern stating that he supports the idea that solar activity affects earthquakes.
Please provide a citation from Dr. Stefaan Poedts stating that he supports the idea that solar activity affects earthquakes.
Please provide a citation from Dr. Ronald van der Linden stating that he supports the idea that solar activity affects earthquakes.
Please provide a citation from Dr. Pål Brekke stating that he supports the idea that solar activity affects earthquakes.

All I see is vague endorsement blurbs for Battros's book.

Since Solar activity follows a fairly regular cycle, if it had much influence on earthquake activity there should be seen some sort of correlation. Is there?
www.abovetopsecret.com...

edit on 10/2/2012 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 12:02 PM
link   
reply to post by happykat39

If the experts (note 1 again) are correct and we actually do have the worst solar max ever as to the number and severity of events then what we are really seeing is an increase in the odds that we could be hit with a "Carrington Event", or worse, blast from the sun.

The current solar cycle is predicted to be of below average activity.

The panel has decided that the next solar cycle will be below average in intensity, with a maximum sunspot number of 90. Given the predicted date of solar minimum and the predicted maximum intensity, solar maximum is now expected to occur in May, 2013.

www.swpc.noaa.gov...

As we progress further into the cycle, it has been further refined.

The current prediction for Sunspot Cycle 24 gives a smoothed sunspot number maximum of about 75 in the Fall of 2013.

solarscience.msfc.nasa.gov...

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 12:03 PM
link   
reply to post by NaturalHealer

I politely disagree with your position that solar activity does not produce earthquakes. Please refer to the following study:

The aforementioned result indicates that solar flares, magnetic storms and earthquakes obey nonextensive laws which are scale invariant, and that these laws are universal in the sense that they do not depend on details concerning the actual species. The aforementioned finding could be considered as a further indication of the universality of fractal properties among a large number of various geophysical processes.

That paragraph right there that you quoted ( I used external content brackets with "ex" instead of "quote" to show off site content) is good double speak but shows little proof of anything. Any charts that you have to correlate earthquake activity during the arrival on earth of CME's from the sun would also prove little since both are active all the time.

That was funny though. Good lawyer double speak. Or politician rabble. Using big words to say nothing.

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 12:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Mclaneinc

god knows what it does but I think its safe to say that 2012 has been a very very strange year weather wise ans seems to be getting worse, I don't know what's doing it but its a little frightening.

Your safe and frightened at the same time? God knows that it is very frightening and a little safe to say that your evaluation of weather and space science, god knows is getting worse every day.

Is that how you usually draw conclusions about other people and what they say?

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 12:16 PM
link   
reply to post by happykat39

Ahh... thank you, finally, the voice of some reason. You didn't quite say everything I've been thinking, down this thread and we may still not fully agree but at least one person on here didn't jump in just for the chance to bash Phage. This has been obscene to read down.

@Thread

What the hell is wrong with people around here? One post asked if we even COULD measure electromagnetic energy and radiation?! Another saying 'We don't really know what they do"?!

Where are we?! The Middle Ages with the Bishop holding court over the Scientific "Facts" of the day!? I can't believe the level of outright ignorance here ..and almost Proudly on display while trying to bash another member..who HAPPENS TO BE RIGHT.

I was TRYING to be nice about how I put it with my charts, but I keep forgetting...in some cases..being subtle is totally wasted time. If one looks at the charts showing sun activity...things like New Madrid, the San Fran Quake (Both of them to include the more recent one as well) and other major events happened in a LULL of Solar activity. A quiet period. ...and I'll scream if someone disputes how we can know THAT, although it won't shock me if the ignorance keeps flowing that way.

THIS is the 1859 Carrington Event. This is what is looked like, felt like and was like to live through.

1859 Carrington Event - Descriptions and First Hand Accounts

Now....*IF* Geomagnetic storms were even CAPABLE of creating Earthquakes, 1859 should have had the mother of all quakes for recent history. The Geo storm was SO intense, the telegraph lines ran BETTER without batteries and from energy out of the thin air than with them. The Aurora was visible for days clear down to El Salvador and Venezuela. Brush fires were started from the electrical arcing off telegraph lines. The air itself was that heavily charged.

The Carrington event has been estimated as high as X-60....I generally see X-48ish...but have seen as low as the X-20's suggested. THIS little burp everyone is playing Mr. Wizard about was classed, by comparison, a higher range M class. That's a joke. That's NOTHING on that scale and we have geo storms like this recent one fairly often. Damn sure often enough to be in a world of non stop upheaval and chaos IF these quacks writing papers for more grant money had ANY real basis beyond guess work and theory.

Just my two cents.... Now back to listening to the gallery of PhD's we seem to have here. To listen, we have more doctors running around than JPL. It's just a shame so many are repeating BAD INFO.

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 12:16 PM
link   
reply to post by NaturalHealer

Please refer to the following study:

I've seen that study. Perhaps you should read it more carefully. It is not proposing a link between solar activity, geomagnetic activity, and earthquakes, it is proposing that certain similarities in the behavior of each may make it possible to apply statistical prediction (Tsallis distributions) methods.

The observed similarity suggests a common approach to the interpretation of these diverse phenomena in terms of driving physical mechanisms that have the same character.

members.noa.gr...

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join