It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BREAKING NEWS: NASA/NOAA Sends Geomagnetic Storm "WARNING"

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 1 2012 @ 04:17 PM
link   
I think these warnings are more important to people who rely on communication technology for highly important tasks.

Such storms can be a real problem for any technology that somehow involves telecommunication or GPS satellite technology. It's important for airlines, hospitals, certain military applications, and such.

As far as it affecting anything more 'down to earth' it would be more of concern if we had no electromagnetic field to deflect cosmic particles.

But I may be wrong. I suppose. There have always been some who attribute some level of sensitivity to animals or people that seems to defy scientific quantification.

posted on Oct, 1 2012 @ 04:18 PM
link   
At any other time, I would have thought nothing of it.
But I have learned a lot about the sun/extreme weather connection thanks to sites like this one.
Anyway, a short while ago, I figured I’ll go for a quick walk with the dog since it seemed to try to rain.
No sooner that we went outside, suddenly the wind picked up. And it rained a few huge drops as well, for two minutes max.
Then it got crazy. Wind was picking up so intense that I had to hook the leash to the dog out of fear he would blow away. He was making one step forward, four steps back.
Leaves and trash were blowing around at high speed, and the teachers at the school across the street came running outside, rounding up the kids (who were squealing with joy about the wind), and shooing them all inside.
Those wind gusts come and go.
However, I kept walking, but since the wind was so strong and extreme, I imagined that it might be sun-related.
So, as soon as I got back home, I came straight to this website, but not really expecting to find anything on here, but – there it is !

So, not just a fall-time kind of storm.
Thanks for the info, OP !

posted on Oct, 1 2012 @ 04:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

My attempt at sarcasm obviously failed. His education does not lend credibility to his conclusions

posted on Oct, 1 2012 @ 04:31 PM
link   
reply to post by tallcool1

My attempt at sarcasm went over your head to, I have since made it a bit more obvious

posted on Oct, 1 2012 @ 04:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by karen61057

Originally posted by HIWATT
Speaking for myself (locally) we've had some amazing weather leading up into October.

It has been consistently warm here in the low-mid 70's for the past couple of weeks.

Suddenly I look at the weather for this week and it's supposed to drop like a stone. Today is overcast and chilly, with lows expected at -2 on Wednesday. Not all that unusual for this time of year but odd that it turned pretty much on a dime.

And so what is so unusual about that? Weather changes on a dime here too. We get extremes in every season and so can have very cool temps in the summer and very warm temps in the winter. There is nothing odd about it. Certainly nothin ominous about it.

I guess you missed the part where I stated I was speaking for myself, LOCALLY

Do you live where I do? I doubt it. So you have no idea what weather may be "unusual" in my area, whereas I do have some insight as I've lived here all my life.

We've (as in my friends and family here) all been going on about how we are still enjoying summer well into September/October.

It IS somewhat odd for the weather to just up and turn like that pretty much overnight. People were on the beach yesterday tanning... and it's supposed to freeze 2 days later. That is odd for this area.

Also, I never mentioned anything about it being ominous.

so

1. Don't pretend to be an expert on weather in an area you are not familiar with
2. Don't put words in my mouth

peace

posted on Oct, 1 2012 @ 04:41 PM
link   
Dallas Tx area had a couple 2.something and 3.something EQ's this past weekend ,,, maybe related as EQs are rare in this area . Either due to this or underground tunneling

posted on Oct, 1 2012 @ 04:48 PM
link   
reply to post by jassie51289

Because it affects the electrical appliances...you know, the stuff that DOES warn you about tornadoes and earthquakes?

posted on Oct, 1 2012 @ 05:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by karen61057

Speaking for myself (locally) we've had some amazing weather leading up into October.

It has been consistently warm here in the low-mid 70's for the past couple of weeks.

Suddenly I look at the weather for this week and it's supposed to drop like a stone. Today is overcast and chilly, with lows expected at -2 on Wednesday. Not all that unusual for this time of year but odd that it turned pretty much on a dime.

And so what is so unusual about that? Weather changes on a dime here too. We get extremes in every season and so can have very cool temps in the summer and very warm temps in the winter. There is nothing odd about it. Certainly nothin ominous about it.

I guess you missed the part where I stated I was speaking for myself, LOCALLY

Do you live where I do? I doubt it. So you have no idea what weather may be "unusual" in my area, whereas I do have some insight as I've lived here all my life.

We've (as in my friends and family here) all been going on about how we are still enjoying summer well into September/October.

It IS somewhat odd for the weather to just up and turn like that pretty much overnight. People were on the beach yesterday tanning... and it's supposed to freeze 2 days later. That is odd for this area.

Also, I never mentioned anything about it being ominous.

so

1. Don't pretend to be an expert on weather in an area you are not familiar with
2. Don't put words in my mouth

peace

Wow - take a Midol. She said "weather changes on a dime here too". I guess you missed the part where "too" means "also" - as in where she lives LOCALLY, the weather also changes on a dime. Then she said that there's nothing odd about that - which agrees with your statement that there's nothing unusual about it. "Nothing odd" and "nothing unusual" have the same meaning. I also missed the part where she was "pretending to be an expert" on weather in an area she's not familiar with. Can you quote that part for me? I also can't see where she put words in your mouth. She said it's not ominous. Granted, you didn't say the word "ominous" but you sure did appear to be making the case that this "sudden weather change" which is "not unusual" but it is "odd" has something to do with the geomagnetic storm warning...which of course it does not.

You can correct someone without freaking out on them.

posted on Oct, 1 2012 @ 05:03 PM
link   

I don't see anything on the NASA website about this apparent warning

NASA

posted on Oct, 1 2012 @ 05:04 PM
link   

Amen!

posted on Oct, 1 2012 @ 05:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by MDDoxs

My attempt at sarcasm went over your head to, I have since made it a bit more obvious

Yes it did. Sorry about that. Perhaps in hindsight I can see that it was obviously sarcasm. Sometimes I just get a little...taken aback by the lack of...well some people here just don't...nevermind.

It would appear in this case that I am the one who missed the obvious.

posted on Oct, 1 2012 @ 05:14 PM
link   
USSR experiments in what is today Kazakhstan, Tajikistan, Kyrgyzstan showed that electricity can increase background seismicity rates/statistics.

The technology used was electricity generated by a Magnetohydrodynamic machine apparatus.

It was physically pumped into the ground via cables, space weather is not fully researched for there to be 100% claim no effect is possible.

posted on Oct, 1 2012 @ 05:55 PM
link   

weve been waiting for this for like 5 years...solar maximum baby...yeaaa

posted on Oct, 1 2012 @ 05:59 PM
link   

Solar-terrestrial indices for 01 October follow.
Solar flux 128 and estimated planetary A-index 35.
The estimated planetary K-index at 2100 UTC on 01 October was 2.

Space weather for the past 24 hours has been strong.
Geomagnetic storms reaching the G3 level occurred.

No space weather storms are predicted for the next 24 hours.

posted on Oct, 1 2012 @ 06:10 PM
link   
reply to post by roadgravel

Ok im a bit confused now, whats the general consensus of this thread as of now? was the warning reliable and if not why has this thread reached so high on the home page so quick? Usually when threads are at that kind of status it has suffecient material to form an opinion by now. Or maybe im just being a little slow at the moment.

posted on Oct, 1 2012 @ 06:14 PM
link   
reply to post by seymore1111

The space weather warning was accurate.

There was a G3 geomagnetic storm which lasted for a few hours then subsided.

posted on Oct, 1 2012 @ 06:15 PM
link   

Hey, heres a coinkydink for ya,.
japan just had a 6.2

posted on Oct, 1 2012 @ 06:17 PM
link   
The last geomagnetic storm I got excited about was g3 and I watched for lights etc but it seemed tornado ally was the area where people witnessed lights. So if tornado ally is where you see and get most effect from. CMEs is there link between tornados that happen in the area and CMEs and other sun activity??

posted on Oct, 1 2012 @ 06:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Why are you shocked? If your shocked, then it must really be something to worry about

posted on Oct, 1 2012 @ 06:38 PM
link   
I am sure sun storms can and likely do have some type of effect on earth weather but to make claims as the editor did is a bit much. So I think Phage's comment would be a little more correct if he were to say "there is no documented evidence to indicate that sun storms have a direct impact on earth weather." instead of making such an absolute comment. There is much that has yet to be learned about the relationship between us and the sun and what impacts can be attributed to the sun. That said, if you honestly think earthquakes, tsunamis and volcanoes (oh my) well spawn simply because of the geomagnetic storm, then I have one of Saddam's nuclear weapons to sell you!

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join