It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Hum of the ‘Fan’

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 02:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by LastProphet527

Originally posted by LilDudeissocool
reply to post by LastProphet527

I've never been abducted, but I'm addicted to the hum of the fan. I have since I was a child. It started when I was just a lil tot, and during the summer time my mother use to lay me down for my afternoon naps with the fan blowing full force across the bed. It was cool and I felt secure without a care in the world. A feeling of tranquility. That's what I am actually chancing when I now as a middle age man fall asleep to the hum of the fan no matter the season.

I'm also into Buddhist temple chants or mono tones. You know when the monks in the monastery go hummmmmmmmm.
Let me explain something to you but I will ask you to explain something to me. I need you to explain ,where was the earth in the solar system 3billion year ago.

Frame 4:45 - 4:46

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 04:31 AM
link   

Sleeping with out a fan or me is like sleeping with no sheet, incredibly distasteful.

Not only that but the fan has to be placed in an pen window and I need fresh air coming in the room.

The white noise of the fan helps me sleep but i have not had a fan for about a year now because i just have not remembered to buy one the few times i have had the extra cash, now a days i rarely have the extra cash.

Wen I first faced sleeping with out a fan it was very hard to sleep, now I can sleep but very much miss the white noise and buzzing fresh air.

I don't recall getting abducted but I usually get sleep paralysis two or three times a month where all kinds of things happen.

Funny thing now that I think about it my SP has cut way down to an episode one a month or two since I have not had a fan in the window...

The Rat.

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 06:36 AM
link   
See, here's what's different in 'ufology' these days, in comparison with in the past:

In the past, people would understand the OP this way:
If there is a clear correlation between having fans on and being abducted, the 'abductees' are problably sensing the fan in their sleep, and when they start dreaming about aliens they coincidentally 'hear' spacecraft that hum. Hum like a fan, as it were. Because it IS the fan they're hearing. Most posters don't pick up on this.

These days, with the influx of people who refuse psychological explanations and who lack the ability to approach the topic scientifically, it completely goes over most posters' heads what the information in the OP actually tells us. It's quite depressing, and thus my hopes for this field of study are very low. The arrow is pointing in the wrong direction.

edit on 4-10-2012 by ScientificUAPer because: correction

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 06:42 AM
link   
I don't think I've ever read that abductees can't sleep without the hum of a fan, and I've read loads..

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 03:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by minkmouse
I go to sleep with a fan going because the "white" noise drowns out all the other stupid bangs and thump of the neighbors and hood. never abducted as far as I know. Not an insomniac just don't deal well with any sharp or sudden noises when I'm on the verge of sleep so the fan drowns them all out.

Don't forget the birds. I do not need to be awakened at 5:00 am by the endless chirping outside of my window.HUNDREDS OF THEM! These are common birds and while I respect life if there was a way for me to repel these creatures I would take that action.

I think more people like to - or need to - sleep with a soft background noise than people realize. I don't even get the correlation between why you'd need a fan and being abducted.

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 03:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by ScientificUAPer

If there is a clear correlation between having fans on and being abducted, the 'abductees' are problably sensing the fan in their sleep, and when they start dreaming about aliens they coincidentally 'hear' spacecraft that hum. Hum like a fan, as it were. Because it IS the fan they're hearing. Most posters don't pick up on this.

You're actually being serious, aren't you? So while sleeping, the fan makes people believe an alien ship has come, and that's what leads to these people thinking they are abducted? Really? That seems more far fetched than people actually being abducted by aliens. There could be a psychological explanation, but I highly doubt it is the one you propose.
edit on 5-10-2012 by OMsk3ptic because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 03:58 PM
link   
I don't get the correlation but my neck gets sweaty if I sleep without a fan. Only just now in the first week of Oct. has the temps here dropped under 100.

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 07:06 AM
link   
All I can say is thank god for ZzzQuil!

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 01:55 PM
link   
This is weird to me too. I cannot fall asleep without the hum of a fan. Even during the dead of winter, I need a fan going in order to sleep. I cannot sleep in pure silence.

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 06:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by LastProphet527
After stumbling into some files at a certain place, I read that.

‘94% of all abductees can not go to sleep with out hearing the hum of a fan '

Is it true?

For as long a I can remember.. everywhere I go... I have a fan in my bedroom.
Hotel on a business trip, when visiting my parents home and sleeping in the 'spare' room (which
used to be my room), in my own bedroom in my own home...

I MUST have the fan running on low, without it I cannot sleep.

This post creeped me out ...

Oh my...

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 06:37 AM
link   

I just got super goosebumps. I cannot sleep without a fan, I don't know why it is. It can be minus degrees inside my room, but if there's no fan with the white noise it produces I cannot sleep. It's a pain in the butt because I can't spend the night anywhere. If I'm at a hotel, I have to make sure the air conditioning is on all night.

Music doesn't help.
An MP3 of fan noise doesn't help. (I've tried making my own, downloaded a few, nothing works.)
Various sleep aid machines do not work either.

I literally HAVE to have a fan running or I'm up all night no matter how tired I am.

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 08:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by OMsk3ptic

Originally posted by ScientificUAPer

You're actually being serious, aren't you? So while sleeping, the fan makes people believe an alien ship has come, and that's what leads to these people thinking they are abducted? Really? That seems more far fetched than people actually being abducted by aliens. There could be a psychological explanation, but I highly doubt it is the one you propose.
edit on 5-10-2012 by OMsk3ptic because: (no reason given)

Of course I'm serious! Are you serious? You say there could be psychological explanations but you refuse it when it's presented to you? Then you don't really believe that psychology could be involved do you? I don't think you do.

Did I say the primary cause was the fan? I never said that. I said: When people dream about aliens (so, primary cause being dreaming/psychological) the noize (and perhaps the rush of the wind) enters the reality of the dream, and thus fan noize becomes part of the psychological experience, namely the experience of the 'spaceship', which several 'abductees' have described as a humming sound akin to a fan.

Have you never experienced objects, noise or voices in a room becoming part of a dream? If so, why is it not a likely cause for the alien thing? Do you think it's more reasonable to think that aliens grab your hiny at night, than a fan becoming part of a dream?

edit on 8-10-2012 by ScientificUAPer because: correction

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 08:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by FluffyWuffles

I MUST have the fan running on low, without it I cannot sleep.

This post creeped me out ...

Oh my...

No, mate, relax, there's no indication that aliens like to abduct people who have fans running, ok? How did you infer that?

Tough crowd, but try to do a little reasoning first and react emotionally afterwards, that's a good starting point when investigation the 'mysterious'. If you don't do a little reasoning first, you're bound to get misled by hoaxsters or 'believers' and become paranoid and silly.

We already know, as Druscilla has explained several times, that abduction experiences can actually be observed in psychological experiments. Because it's an experience, not an actual physical event.

Thus, in this case there's a good reason to start by reasoning like this:
How could there be a correlation between ambient sounds in the room, and experiences of 'abduction'? Could it be because the source of the aliens is a dream-state and the sound and wind of the fan becomes part of the dream? Could it be? YES.
So, I frankly can't see why the info in the OP should affect you in any way?

The answer is blowing in the fan wind guys..

edit on 8-10-2012 by ScientificUAPer because: typo

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 12:26 PM
link   
reply to post by ScientificUAPer

I do think there is probably a psychological reason, but what you are proposing doesn't fit, you are describing a far fetched situation in a dream. "Alien abductions" aren't dreams. Sleep paralysis fits a lot better than your explanation. And yes, I do think it is more likely aliens are actually abducting people than your theory of a fan being the culprit.

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 03:18 AM
link   

reply to post by ScientificUAPer

I do think there is probably a psychological reason, but what you are proposing doesn't fit, you are describing a far fetched situation in a dream. "Alien abductions" aren't dreams. Sleep paralysis fits a lot better than your explanation.

What's far fetched about it? I repeat: Have you never had sounds, voices or objects in the room you're sleeping in appear in your dreams?

Oh, and sleep paralysis IS a dream-state. I hope people are aware of that? It's not about being paralyzed so the aliens can grab you, it's about being paralyzed in a semi-dream-state, an experience which is naturally very confusing to the person in question.

And yes, I do think it is more likely aliens are actually abducting people than your theory of a fan being the culprit.

Ok. You think it's more likely that people are abducted by aliens who (for some reason) like to hear the sound of a fan while abducting people? More likely than the noizes in people's houses entering their dreams, in a skewed form?

I don't know what to tell you man. I think there's a degree of willed ignorance in the UFO-field. A bit like hearing American Christians talking about 'science' when they are actually talking about belief.
I don't think you really acknowledge the psychological aspect, or I don't think you understand the severity of psychological phenomena. I think you're just saying you understand and acknowledge it, without actually doing so.

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 05:12 AM
link   

I cannot sleep unless I hear the hum of a fan (or TV or any other thing) but I wasn't abducted.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join