It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lessons from History- CIA and MI6 planned to assassinate Syrian leaders in 1950's 'regime change'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 1 2012 @ 01:39 PM
link   
Sometimes it is hard to believe that our own governments are behind plots to further the interests of businesses and corporations. But sadly, that is the reality.

Here is a Guardian article from 2003 that discusses the declassified documents that sought 'regime change' in Syria back in 1957-

www.guardian.co.uk...

Nearly 50 years before the war in Iraq, Britain and America sought a secretive "regime change" in another Arab country they accused of spreading terror and threatening the west's oil supplies, by planning the invasion of Syria and the assassination of leading figures.

Newly discovered documents show how in 1957 Harold Macmillan and President Dwight Eisenhower approved a CIA-MI6 plan to stage fake border incidents as an excuse for an invasion by Syria's pro-western neighbours, and then to "eliminate" the most influential triumvirate in Damascus.

From the actual 1957 document-

"In order to facilitate the action of liberative forces, reduce the capabilities of the Syrian regime to organise and direct its military actions, to hold losses and destruction to a minimum, and to bring about desired results in the shortest possible time, a special effort should be made to eliminate certain key individuals. Their removal should be accomplished early in the course of the uprising and intervention and in the light of circumstances existing at the time."

At the core of the plot was worries over the control of oil falling into Communist hands. Syria may not produce significant amount of oil such as Iraq or Iran, but the sheer position of Syria means it is of vital geopolitical importance as a transport hub for the region. Pipelines can see oil move from Iraq through Syria to Turkey and also to the Mediterranean Sea-

The report said that once the necessary degree of fear had been created, frontier incidents and border clashes would be staged to provide a pretext for Iraqi and Jordanian military intervention. Syria had to be "made to appear as the sponsor of plots, sabotage and violence directed against neighbouring governments," the report says. "CIA and SIS should use their capabilities in both the psychological and action fields to augment tension." That meant operations in Jordan, Iraq, and Lebanon, taking the form of "sabotage, national conspiracies and various strong-arm activities" to be blamed on Damascus.

The plan called for funding of a "Free Syria Committee", and the arming of "political factions with paramilitary or other actionist capabilities" within Syria. The CIA and MI6 would instigate internal uprisings, for instance by the Druze in the south, help to free political prisoners held in the Mezze prison, and stir up the Muslim Brotherhood in Damascus.

This is pretty much exactly what we are seeing today. Don't fall into the trap of thinking our political leaders would not conjure up such evil methods of obtaining what they want. In the 1950's, they were plotting to use CIA and MI6 to instigate violence and cross border confrontations as a 'pretext to military intervention'. This is nothing new to western policy.

This 1950's plot was not carried out because Syria's Arab neighbours could not be presuaded to help. Times have changed as the west has created alliances and regime changes in the region around Syria. Once could argue this planned policy is being used as a blueprint by our leaders today as military intervention draws closer.

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 01:19 AM
link   
I can't believe this doesn't have more flags. This is exactly what we are seeing today. 1957 huh?

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 11:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by coyotepoet
I can't believe this doesn't have more flags. This is exactly what we are seeing today. 1957 huh?

Haha, it happens more than you think.

Some threads get attention, other threads get ignored. Yeah, this was 1957, the plan never came to fruitition because the arab neighbours at the time nebver supported it.

Given the arab neighbours today are now funding the 'rebel's and Turkey is offering the cross border access for the rebels, then the blueprint outlined in the 1950's is arguably playing out today.

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 05:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by coyotepoet

Just to add to this we have this recent article-

www.globalresearch.ca...

Initially, before back peddling, the German media stated-

“Rocket and mortar fire. Turkey takes revenge after an attack from the Syrian side. Yesterday afternoon Syrian rebels fired on a Turkish village close to the border. For weeks Ankara had warned against provoking Turkey. Meanwhile Syrian rebels officially claimed responsibility for the provocation.”

These instigated cross border tensions were discussed as policy in 1957 and seemingly, it is playing out today.

posted on May, 24 2013 @ 07:05 PM
link   
Interesting to take note that as was the case back in the 1950's, Turkey is not willing to play this 'game'.

The Turkish people do not want war with Syria, the cross borders incidents seem to have failed.

This helps explain why Israel is turning up the heat to get this war started...

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 08:43 PM
link   
Wow great thread and still relevant. S&f.

Border incidents huh. Where have i heard of that before, o wait..

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 08:48 PM
link   
That's a drop in the bucket for the CIA. Do some research about Operation Ajax to start with. 1953 coup d'état in Iran, immediately followed by Guatemala. And the list goes on from there. Chile, Cuba, Venezuela, Laos, Vietnam, Indonesia, and many more. Most, if not all, have been driven by commercial interests. It's nothing short of appalling and shameful.

posted on Jun, 2 2013 @ 01:25 PM
link   
S&F
It is an old script being used in a new movie.
This new movie stars all of us.

posted on Jun, 2 2013 @ 02:33 PM
link   
I imagine this thread will get very little attention is due to the fact many people like to ignore what has happened in the past, they simply refuse to acknowledge or comprehend what we see now has happened again and again through history and the same plots and conspiracies will continualy be regurgitated against us. I dunno, maybe some people need to believe The Ministries of Truth propaganda, helps give them a place in the world, some one to hate, a purpose and all that. Sad, but I think some people need that, kinda like religion to help fill an otherwise empty life.

posted on Jun, 2 2013 @ 02:50 PM
link   
Every nation on Earth have their own plans and risk assesments on their own interests, and even incorporated into their military preparedness excercises and drill. Iran, China and Russia have them as well, as evident by their war gaming excercise conducted regularly.

This nothing new or need to be sensationalized to fool the ignorant, to presume a nation has designs on another. It is only self presevation, than to be caught fleet footed whereby thousands die unnecessarily.

Thus, there is no need to use such plans, if even true and authenticated, which had even been carried at all in '52, to heap blame upon a nation, even if that citizen hates his own country so much. No need for such festering sores - the airports are opened 24/7, unless, of course, one is not an american and pretending to be one.

What truly matters are REAL current records and evidences that the events in Syria had been manipulated by the West. Had these anti-americans provided ANY evidences so far, or even at all?

NONE.

But we had certainly seen Hisbollahs admitted publically to fighting alongside the HumanSlayer Assad, and the apostate Khamenei, persia's infidel leader, publically admitted to funding them, in the slaughter of ten of thousands of sunni muslims in Syria for the past 2 years plus.

YET, none have the courage to hold Khamenei accountable, but to continue to harp upon the lies and falsehood of western involvement in Syria today. Is Khamenei so much feared that men drop their balls at the mention of his name, including journalists, and let his dogs run rampant destabilizing our world since 1979?

posted on Jun, 2 2013 @ 03:06 PM
link   
reply to post by SeekerofTruth101

and evidences that the events in Syria had been manipulated by the West. Had these anti-americans provided ANY evidences so far, or even at all? NONE.

Friends of Syria Group

The Group of Friends of the Syrian People[1] (sometimes: Friends of Syria Group or Friends of the Syrian People Group or Friends of Democratic Syria or simply Friends of Syria) is an international diplomatic collective of countries and bodies convening periodically on the topic of Syria outside the U.N. Security Council. The collective was created in response to a Russian and Chinese veto on a Security Council resolution condemning Syria; American president Barack Obama has stated that it was organized by the United States.[2]

edit on 2-6-2013 by Tuttle because: (no reason given)

The Government-owned Syrian Arab News Agency denounced the meeting calling it "a series of related circles of conspiracy against Syria" and identified participants as "enemies of Syria"

Sorry I could not understand anything else you really said.

posted on Jun, 2 2013 @ 03:59 PM
link   
OP a good article I must say,

that unfortunately is the only good thing about your thread because your commentary is way off.

what you are saying is that today in 2013 we are seeing the blueprints of a plan devised in 1952 now coming in to actions.

You seem to forget that the Syrian Revolution is a extension of the Arab spring which makes an organic uprising of the Syrian people that was not the creation of any western intelligence or government. Granted western governments have been helping along the way, meddling the Arab Spring however that does not mean it is a creation of western governments.

I also take issue you how you seem to presume that the plans drawn up in 1952 are some how relevant over 60 years later. Quite a lot has happened in those 60 years. I mean if you really wanted to you could have made a much better job of making that claim by reading killing hope by William blum witch illustrates the role the west had in Syrian coups throughout the 1950's and 60's. actually since Syria's Independence in 1946 up to the 1971 coup there were violent changes of power almost every 5 years some with western involvement.

That however does not mean that today the west has in anyway created this civil war, the Syrian Civil war is just another manifestation of the Arab Spring. Yes you could say that other state actors have been involved in what has transpired since the start of this revolution but you would be wrong to say that the west and specifically the Americans had anything to do with its creating.

it took Obama months before he actually demanded that Assad stood down, in the early days one could almost argue that America was supporting Assad.

So while yes the OP presents a very interesting article that is worth some attention the same cannot be said for the accompanying cometary that would seem to be ignorant of history.
edit on 2-6-2013 by OtherSideOfTheCoin because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 2 2013 @ 05:18 PM
link   
reply to post by OtherSideOfTheCoin

I was of the impression this civil war was directly because of Hilary Clinton and her constant meddling and restructuring of the FSA and the SNC?.

Whatever glimmer of hope Syria had for peaceful resolution was essentialy lost when she and her middle eastern despots decided the best course of action for Syria was a brutal and bloody coup?

No?

Am I mistaken?

posted on Jun, 2 2013 @ 05:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tuttle

I was of the impression this civil war was directly because of Hilary Clinton and her constant meddling and restructuring of the FSA and the SNC?.

Whatever glimmer of hope Syria had for peaceful resolution was essentialy lost when she and her middle eastern despots decided the best course of action for Syria was a brutal and bloody coup?

No?

Am I mistaken?

yes you are, American Foregoing policy regarding Syria has been abysmal, Hilary was calling Assad a "reformer" when he had began killing his own people.

America is not really doing very much with Syria just ranting and raving but there has actually been very little in the way of proper action and this has really only made things much worse.

posted on Jun, 2 2013 @ 05:46 PM
link   

Oh right, then well excuse my ignorance, but can you explain this to me?

C.I.A. Said to Aid in Steering Arms to Syrian Opposition

Because if that were the case, that would be a war crime wouldnt it?

Oh and there is this as well

Syria : US clears way for Americans to start donating money to rebels .

Now for a country that is not doing anything, they seem to be doing quite a lot?

posted on Jun, 2 2013 @ 05:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Tuttle

I have done loads of research in to Syria particularly regarding American and Russian involvement, yes they have had some involvement but its fallen short of what is really required to meet American policy goals. Almost all assistance so far has been non-lethal support such as communications. The American government has provided more aid that any others worth something like $500 million however almost all of this has gone to humanitarian aid.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jun, 3 2013 @ 02:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by OtherSideOfTheCoin
OP a good article I must say,

that unfortunately is the only good thing about your thread because your commentary is way off.

what you are saying is that today in 2013 we are seeing the blueprints of a plan devised in 1952 now coming in to actions.

You seem to forget that the Syrian Revolution is a extension of the Arab spring which makes an organic uprising of the Syrian people that was not the creation of any western intelligence or government. Granted western governments have been helping along the way, meddling the Arab Spring however that does not mean it is a creation of western governments.

I also take issue you how you seem to presume that the plans drawn up in 1952 are some how relevant over 60 years later. Quite a lot has happened in those 60 years. I mean if you really wanted to you could have made a much better job of making that claim by reading killing hope by William blum witch illustrates the role the west had in Syrian coups throughout the 1950's and 60's. actually since Syria's Independence in 1946 up to the 1971 coup there were violent changes of power almost every 5 years some with western involvement.

That however does not mean that today the west has in anyway created this civil war, the Syrian Civil war is just another manifestation of the Arab Spring. Yes you could say that other state actors have been involved in what has transpired since the start of this revolution but you would be wrong to say that the west and specifically the Americans had anything to do with its creating.

it took Obama months before he actually demanded that Assad stood down, in the early days one could almost argue that America was supporting Assad.

So while yes the OP presents a very interesting article that is worth some attention the same cannot be said for the accompanying cometary that would seem to be ignorant of history.
edit on 2-6-2013 by OtherSideOfTheCoin because: (no reason given)

The main point my friend, is that democratic nations supposedly standing up for peace and democracy are willing to carry out extreme evil to achieve their goals.

If you think that things have changed since the 1950's regarding the covert operations and use of 'freedom fighters' or 'false flags' to achieve foreign policy aims, then I don't know what to say.

posted on Jun, 3 2013 @ 03:06 PM
link   

I have done loads of research in to Syria particularly regarding American and Russian involvement, yes they have had some involvement but its fallen short of what is really required to meet American policy goals

Well of course it has, because American policy goals would be to force direct intervention through the U.N which would mean the complete and utter annihilation and occupation of Syria, much in the same way they did with Libya. However seeing as how America stiffed Russia and China out of billions of dollars by doing what they did with Libya, Russia and China will veto any overt action.

So America has been doing everything it can to circumvent the U.N with this dirty proxy war they are fueling. And when you state.

America is not really doing very much with Syria just ranting and raving but there has actually been very little in the way of proper action and this has really only made things much worse.

It simply to me, just rings false, and everything I understand about this conflict runs contrary to your statement as it appears America has simply made everything FAR worse as it usualy does when it decides to dictate policy for a foreign power.

I can literally post hundreds of links from newspapers, independent journalists, security council review, policy institution briefs etc to highlight this further. It may help with your "loads of research"?

This is another good one.

Peak oil, climate change and pipeline geopolitics driving Syria conflict

The Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) for the pipelines was signed in July last year - just as Syria's civil war was spreading to Damascus and Aleppo - but the negotiations go back further to 2010. The pipeline, which could be extended to Lebanon and Europe, would potentially solidify Iran's position as a formidable global player. The Iran-Iraq-Syria pipeline plan is a "direct slap in the face" to Qatar's plans for a countervailing pipeline running from Qatar's North field, contiguous with Iran's South Pars field, through Saudi Arabia, Jordan, Syria and on to Turkey, also with a view to supply European markets.

Funny how the troubles in Syria just happen to coincide with the creation of this pipeline, weird.America would not have been interested nor involved in anything like would they???.

Syria’s transit future: all pipelines lead to Damascus?

In 2009, recognizing that the heady days of Syrian oil production in the 1980s were long gone and that the sector’s future lay in transit, Assad announced a ‘four seas strategy’ aimed at transforming the country into a regional hub for oil transportation between the Persian Gulf and the Black, Caspian and Mediterranean seas. He began taking steps to realize the country’s transit-center potential and bring the four seas strategy closer to reality.

edit on 3-6-2013 by Tuttle because: (no reason given)

edit on 3-6-2013 by Tuttle because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 06:46 PM
link   
Interesting that this thread is almost 1 year old and yet here we are watching our government salivating to invade Syria.

Syria? Really? They are a threat to us how?

Syria poses NO threat to the American people whatsoever. Then again, the American people haven't been in control of their government for at least a century. The criminals running the US government have their own agenda and to hell with the American people.

When in doubt, follow the money. Look at the pipelines that run through Syria and how those pipelines affect the interests of those who have captured the US government. War IS a racket and the American people are seen as nothing more than cannon fodder to make those controlling the show more wealthy. May they all rot in the darkest pits of hell...
edit on 27-9-2013 by bozzchem because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join