It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

China Eyes Afghan Goldmine

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 1 2012 @ 12:38 PM
link   
I wonder how this will go down with the West (unless Hamid Karzai is replaced?)

Not everyone is leaving Afghanistan. Zhou Yongkang, China’s security supremo, became the first member of the country’s top leadership to visit Kabul since the 1960s recently, jetting in for several hours for talks with President Hamid Karzai...Zhou was reported to have signed “security and economic cooperation agreements” with Karzai: really, that means, “we’ll keep you secure, if you cooperate economically”. Karzai may well need China’s help if he is to remain in power, and keep the Taliban away from the gates of Kabul. Initially, that means money; later it could mean more direct security involvement on China’s part. However Karzai views China’s future role in Afghanistan, he is undoubtedly a man who fears for his own future. That will surely give China plenty of leverage when the haggling starts (which, in light of Zhou’s trip, it probably has).

LINK

Starting a New Thread ?... Look Here First.

AboveTopSecret.com takes pride in making every post count.
Please do not create minimal posts to start your new thread.
If you feel inclined to make the board aware of news, current events,
or important information from other sites;
*please post one or two paragraphs,
*a link to the entire story,
*AND your opinion, twist or take on the news item,
as a means to inspire discussion or collaborative research on your subject.

edit on 1-10-2012 by Extralien because: mod note

posted on Oct, 1 2012 @ 12:44 PM
link   
considering that Afghanistan and China share a small border and both countries have to deal with the infestation of religious fanatics it makes sense that they work together in this manner.

China is Pakistan's biggest ally and now Afghanistan is in the fold.

This will work well to put a non-western face on the epic domination soon to be experienced by groups in the region such as the Taliban.

posted on Oct, 1 2012 @ 01:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by michaelbrux
This will work well to put a non-western face on the epic domination soon to be experienced by groups in the region such as the Taliban.
I certainly hope so. Little do they know that the non-western powers will bring forth the communist ideology to squeeze them dry.

posted on Oct, 1 2012 @ 03:26 PM
link   
The Chinese already run the brothels in Kabul.

I'm sure their footprint will get bigger and bigger in Afghan.

posted on Oct, 1 2012 @ 04:28 PM
link   
reply to post by hp1229

The Chinese don't peddle economic and political theories, I once read, and they consume them sparingly. While they seem very committed to central planning, they have demonstrated that they enjoy economic flexibility, which includes concepts which are compatible with the west. They are more pragmatic than dogmatic.

maybe this could influence the dogmatists in Afghanistan and elsewhere in the general vicinity to get down from their soapboxes.

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 07:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by michaelbrux
reply to post by hp1229

maybe this could influence the dogmatists in Afghanistan and elsewhere in the general vicinity to get down from their soapboxes.
I certainly hope it helps. However do you think the deals to natural resources were made prior to the Afghan conflict by approving the unilateral action (NATO) as part of the Chinese UN Membership? If yes then I would certainly like to see what deals might be cut in the future for the troubled regions. I do know Africa is a hot zone or atleast will be in the future as there is a vast abundance of untapped natural resources.

top topics

join