It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Aerofex Creates Working Hover Bike Like The Ones From Return of the Jedi.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 08:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by PhoenixOD

Originally posted by cmdrkeenkid
reply to post by PhoenixOD

It doesn't appear to have any true aerodynamic properties, so it wouldn't be lifting due to ground effect. It appears to be powered just by sheer thrust. Also, if it can attain an altitude of about 15 feet, as stated previously, it could easily go over any large bumps in the road. I believe the testing on a lake bed is more because it gives a large expanse where they're less likely run into anything in an event of control loss.

In the first part of the video it shows two people standing near it. Granted, they are holding onto the hover craft, but I doubt it would knock anyone over. Most of the air would be going around the knees and lower, so it would have to be mighty strong to topple someone.

I would hardly say it's a waste of time, though I will agree that at the level the technology is it is impractical. Nothing that advances the progress of technology or science is ever a waste of time.

Im not sure i agree, if the lift was not dependent on the ground then it would be able to go higher that 15ft. I get suspicious when claims are not backed up in a demonstration video.

They SAY it can go over bumps but we dont see a demonstration. They SAY it can go 15ft but i don't see it in the video.

To my mind any vehicle that depends on a air driven down force is useless in the real world. I dont see them pushing the boundaries of technology here. All of this has been done before and it proved to be to noisy and dangerous.

Bingo....and I would love to see whomever riding it trying to stabilize it at 15 feet up and 30 MPH...talk about a death machine. Hate that they tried to draw a line to star wars when this is so far from anything in star wars. Its a seat with 2 fans and a knee stabilizer bar.....

While the size of the cell phone comparison earlier was correct, the technology used is all wrong....not sure how tiny fans could do it.

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 10:56 AM
link   
reply to post by PhoenixOD

I agree that this is pretty useless in the real world, but it's on track to becoming something useful. This stage is definitely noisy and dangerous, which is why most of the companies, which were attempting to develop something for the military, stopped there. These guys are doing something for the fun of doing something, and with, from my understanding, no government funding. So who's to say where this could lead us.

These guys are just starting out, so maybe they haven't had the time or confidence to go forward with the higher and faster videos. Even if they have, it's not always the best idea, especially in a competitive industry, to lay all your cards out on the table at once. I'm sure we'll see them eventually. There's no need to be so pessimistic.

reply to post by Vasa Croe

I believe it was the author of the thread who drew the comparison to Star Wars and not the people behind this. Also, ducted fans are actually incredibly efficient. They typically have very high thrust to weight ratios.

<< 1   >>

join