It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Aerofex Creates Working Hover Bike Like The Ones From Return of the Jedi.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 1 2012 @ 11:35 AM
link   
Aerofex Creates Working Hover Bike Like The Ones From Star Wars

Just like the hover bikes from star wars return of the jedi AeroFex a california-based tech company develops a Working hover bike, the hover bike is powered by two large ducted fans, the differents to this H bike and other H crafts is that you steer this bike by leaning in the direction you want to go, pull back to slow up or lean forward to speed up.

AreoFex said it's goal was to create a natural-feeling riding experience, AreoFex said they had many problems with the vehicle’s stability at first, but now they claim to have solved this problem with the inclusion of a control bar at the users knee level which gives the pilot the ability lean and balance the vehicle easily while airborne.

AeroFex said the vehicle's top speed so far is only 30 mph and can reach a maximum height of 15 feet, but is still in early development.

So it won't be long before we get to ride one of these badboys, and how long will it be till were all racing through forrests and deserts like from the star wars film return of the jedi, on this ultimate all terrain bike, can you imagine what these will be like in say 5 years.

Aerofex is taking flight in an innovative direction.
We are creating exciting technology that will change the way people perceive and utilize flight.
We are developing manned craft and unmanned aerial vehicles that have real utility.
Our goal is to break the barriers that limit access to the benefits of flight.
Follow us on the journey.

www.aerofex.com...
edit on 1-10-2012 by TheMaverick because: Changed title

posted on Oct, 1 2012 @ 11:48 AM
link   
reply to post by TheMaverick

That is quite possibly the coolest thing I have ever seen.

posted on Oct, 1 2012 @ 11:57 AM
link   
it just got one step closer to a future i thought i'd be in as a kid!! haha so awesome.

posted on Oct, 1 2012 @ 12:06 PM
link   
Whats even crazier is when you consider the US military had a device to do that in 1955...

Hiller VZ-1 Pawnee

Hiller VZ-1 Pawnee

Kinda makes you rethink what the Military might have today...
edit on 1-10-2012 by benrl because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2012 @ 12:14 PM
link   
Just like the ones in Star Wars?

A tad wider than I recall them being.

posted on Oct, 1 2012 @ 12:18 PM
link   
I'll get excited once someone comes out with an anti-gravity scooter.

posted on Oct, 1 2012 @ 12:22 PM
link   
reply to post by benrl

WOW that machine looked kinda dangerous, but yeah they had the basic premise all the way back then.

I'm guessing the US Naval Research abandon this idea a long time ago dew to it not being a weapon, and its now being re-taken up by independent tech companys without military pressure to produce results, were as these guys have solved the stabilty problems, giving it a riding a horse feel without the bumpy terrian jolts from a horse.

The beauty about this, is you know it was return of the jedi that inspired this design and i'm guessing the guys who built this, were big star wars fans as kids.

If we can think it, we can do it

posted on Oct, 1 2012 @ 12:26 PM
link   
reply to post by butcherguy

Just like the ones in Star Wars? A tad wider than I recall them being.

Yeah and it was only about 10 years ago my telephone was about the size of a house brick, and its now the size of a credit card.

Why you so nagative ?

posted on Oct, 1 2012 @ 12:31 PM
link   
Reminds me of the "hovercraft" made from a lawnmower engine advertised in the backs of comic books.

Same concept, just a little more effective. Not really what I would call "anti-gravity", and if your version of "hover bike" means standing on something producing a jet stream and can lop off an arm easily... well have at it!

S+F for anything Star Wars related!

posted on Oct, 1 2012 @ 02:18 PM
link   
it's neat, but repuslorlift technology would be way better.

as for the military having better? if they had better why don't they ever use it? there's no point in having superior technology if it's never used in battle.

posted on Oct, 1 2012 @ 02:22 PM
link   
it would "suck" to get sucked into the fan ducts

posted on Oct, 1 2012 @ 02:25 PM
link   
Just had a thought after watching the vid - quick somebody photoshop in a blue line to highlight where the green screen background was used like they did with those NASA moonlanding videos

I mean look the rocks in the foreground are so definded then they just fade in the background
edit on 1-10-2012 by BrianG because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2012 @ 03:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheMaverick
reply to post by butcherguy

Just like the ones in Star Wars? A tad wider than I recall them being.

Yeah and it was only about 10 years ago my telephone was about the size of a house brick, and its now the size of a credit card.

Why you so nagative ?

I'm positive.

I'm positive that they're wider than the ones in the movie.

posted on Oct, 1 2012 @ 03:23 PM
link   
Doesnt anyone stop to think why its being tested on a flat lake bed?

1 - because the slightest bump in the ground could make it flip over

2- the down draft is so sever that it would knock anyone or anything over that was close to it.

So in conclusion its a waste of time time, totally impractical.

posted on Oct, 1 2012 @ 04:09 PM
link   
reply to post by PhoenixOD

It doesn't appear to have any true aerodynamic properties, so it wouldn't be lifting due to ground effect. It appears to be powered just by sheer thrust. Also, if it can attain an altitude of about 15 feet, as stated previously, it could easily go over any large bumps in the road. I believe the testing on a lake bed is more because it gives a large expanse where they're less likely run into anything in an event of control loss.

In the first part of the video it shows two people standing near it. Granted, they are holding onto the hover craft, but I doubt it would knock anyone over. Most of the air would be going around the knees and lower, so it would have to be mighty strong to topple someone.

I would hardly say it's a waste of time, though I will agree that at the level the technology is it is impractical. Nothing that advances the progress of technology or science is ever a waste of time.

posted on Oct, 1 2012 @ 06:46 PM
link   
Pretty sure this one has been posted already.

Aaannnddddd it has been.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Search engine, my friend. It saves us the time of browsing worthless duplicates. Also saves space. Post a duplicate, kill a conspiracy theorist.

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 02:09 AM
link   
reply to post by AfterInfinity

Pretty sure this one has been posted already. Aaannnddddd it has been. www.abovetopsecret.com... Search engine, my friend. It saves us the time of browsing worthless duplicates. Also saves space. Post a duplicate, kill a conspiracy theorist.

Yes i'm guilty of posting a thread without finding it in the amazing ATS search function, that only works if you match the title of the thread already posted., hope you haven't lost any sleep over this.

Surely it would of been better to contact a mod in a U2U instead of going public like you have..

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 07:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheMaverick
Yes i'm guilty of posting a thread without finding it in the amazing ATS search function, that only works if you match the title of the thread already posted., hope you haven't lost any sleep over this.
Don't use the full title in search...fewer words work better, so in this case perhaps just try 2 words like maybe "hover" and "bike". I think people miss search results because they enter too many search terms.

Surely it would of been better to contact a mod in a U2U instead of going public like you have..
It's best to do both. The mods often can't get to a duplicate thread to close it right away, so it's nice to have a post about it being a duplicate so we know it's about to be closed, and can instead reply to the thread that's not about to be closed.

Regarding ducted fan tech, I think it's debatable to say it's like The Ones From Return of the Jedi, which as far as I can tell, didn't use ducted fans. I don't think the movie explained what tech the hover bikes used, but clearly we didn't see any large ducted fans.

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 08:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by cmdrkeenkid
reply to post by PhoenixOD

It doesn't appear to have any true aerodynamic properties, so it wouldn't be lifting due to ground effect. It appears to be powered just by sheer thrust. Also, if it can attain an altitude of about 15 feet, as stated previously, it could easily go over any large bumps in the road. I believe the testing on a lake bed is more because it gives a large expanse where they're less likely run into anything in an event of control loss.

In the first part of the video it shows two people standing near it. Granted, they are holding onto the hover craft, but I doubt it would knock anyone over. Most of the air would be going around the knees and lower, so it would have to be mighty strong to topple someone.

I would hardly say it's a waste of time, though I will agree that at the level the technology is it is impractical. Nothing that advances the progress of technology or science is ever a waste of time.

Im not sure i agree, if the lift was not dependent on the ground then it would be able to go higher that 15ft. I get suspicious when claims are not backed up in a demonstration video.

They SAY it can go over bumps but we dont see a demonstration. They SAY it can go 15ft but i don't see it in the video.

To my mind any vehicle that depends on a air driven down force is useless in the real world. I dont see them pushing the boundaries of technology here. All of this has been done before and it proved to be to noisy and dangerous.

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 08:02 AM
link   
It looks very unstable as was the avrocar, If I designed that I would have incorporated a roll cage...if you value your spine its a good idea

Another thing, they might want to put a metal grill over those fans, would not be nice to get thrown into one of those!
edit on 5-10-2012 by LUXUS because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join