It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can U.S. Universities Stay on Top?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 1 2012 @ 10:05 AM
link   
Not sure if this was posted on ATS or not but with globalization and the widespread use of Internet and returning professionals/students to their homelands, the scenario is possible in the future. However it can expedite if the American education system upto the High School standards is not improved. Most of the education reforms are nothing more than political tools used by the parties during elections. How much of the actual curriculum and/or teaching methods are changed by the education reforms?

For now, the U.S. university system is still far ahead. But over the next decade, there will be a global competition to educate the next generation, and China and India have the potential to change the balance of power. With large pools of qualified students coming of age, the two countries have made reforming their universities a top priority.

LINK
Your thoughts/comments/opinions/viewpoints please.
edit on 1-10-2012 by hp1229 because: edit content

posted on Oct, 1 2012 @ 05:07 PM
link   
It can if we keep the politics and the religion out.

That's what ruins things, is people saying the university or the schools has to teach their views and only their views.

I'm sorry, but schools should not be used for indoctrination of any sort. They should just be to help people develop the skills they need to get a job.

posted on Oct, 1 2012 @ 08:21 PM
link   
Hey brothers and sisters we have a too many population and the governmentals are sad about it but they have a future to attend to.

You want to participate then get into it..

they wont do it for you

www.youtube.com...

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 02:33 AM
link   
Not when people go to the school to get a degree.... so they can get hired.... and then the admissions office turns down the guy who has the job... but lacks the degree. We are dealing with a situation where the (student's,) GPA and test scores have become the 'holy-grail' of fitness and intelligence; independent thought and creativity are being ignored, or even worse, squelched. A fitness score IS great, don't get me wrong. But one good idea doesn't compare to five mixed-quality ideas that each spawn five more mixed-quality ideas, etc. I want to go to college; but it seems like once you get stuck with one, that is it. If you mess up, or if a place is a bad match, you're pretty much stuck.

posted on Oct, 25 2012 @ 03:01 AM
link   
It will surely can! There's always hope for making it to the top again if authorities will improve the educational strategies. Improve in a way that the educators will keep molding skills. Just like a dissertation structure, a well structured education must be followed too.

posted on Oct, 25 2012 @ 03:58 AM
link   
Screw the universities. Why? most often when a university comes up with a brilliant idea it's buried because the Government owns that idea. the public never see it unless it's a mundane solution to an everyday problem. if it's news worthy, earth shattering, paradigm changing than the Gov keeps it and We The people don't get it.

The people who get "educations" at those "universities" can't get jobs and if they do it's a job that only pertains to the stuff that was forced down their throat over 8 years,. They cannot think for themselves. they have become too indoctrinated.

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 08:16 PM
link   
reply to post by hp1229

With Title IX about to be applied to STEM subjects(for the purpose of ensuring that America's educational systems are 80% female), American Universities are doomed. Then again they are doomed to the sheer level of anti male bigotry on most college campus's. As more and more young men are simply dropping out of society via the MGTOW movement. But heck older guy's view it as a shot to score with younger women(alot of pedos in the older generation it seems), and older women view it as a way of "settling an old score". Like young men have been around since the dawn of time or something.

Conservatives are so utterly clueless and idiotic bunch; by failing to see the world as it is and acting accordingly, they choose to see the world as they think it should be(and continue to act in such a manner) they are effectively guaranteeing the cultural and ideological death of conservatism within the next 30 years. Not that liberals(progressives) would benefit either, as they most certainly will be blamed for the crimes committed against an entire generation of one gender. I suppose the fascists might benefit from this fiasco of hatred and bigotry. Then again, the West could easily become Communist if the Communists deep-sixed feminism as a hate movement and focused on the Western Matriarchy as the source of oppression, but I digress.

posted on Jul, 2 2021 @ 05:35 AM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Jul, 2 2021 @ 06:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: SymbolicLogic
Not when people go to the school to get a degree.... so they can get hired.... and then the admissions office turns down the guy who has the job... but lacks the degree. We are dealing with a situation where the (student's,) GPA and test scores have become the 'holy-grail' of fitness and intelligence; independent thought and creativity are being ignored, or even worse, squelched. A fitness score IS great, don't get me wrong. But one good idea doesn't compare to five mixed-quality ideas that each spawn five more mixed-quality ideas, etc. I want to go to college; but it seems like once you get stuck with one, that is it. If you mess up, or if a place is a bad match, you're pretty much stuck.

I disagree with some of your sentiment. I was a good student in high school though I did not necessarily behave well. I didn't know what I wanted to do so I wound up going to college and switching majors a few times and basically fumbling and failing my way out with a jillion credits that couldn't get me a degree.

I worked blue collar jobs like construction and service technician (lots of others) because I like them but got bored every few years. I made reasonably decent money doing that kind of work after working my way up (around 75k/year after 20 years).

Finally after 20 years I decided to go ahead and get a degree. I had to start over and they barely let me into the school after basically pleading. I finished top of my class in mechanical engineering and got a job with a big defense contractor. A few years in I got my masters in electrical engineering and have been short-tracked to a chief engineer position for a few years now.

As a Falun Dafa practitioner, I believe there is limited ability to change the big things in life, but the idea that it is always someone/something else's fault that you are in the state you are is fundamentally flawed. That arrangement is yours to develop fully in. If you wallow in it, you will remain until you pay those debts and learn those lessons.

Comically, now I am going part time back into construction just because I like it.

posted on Jul, 2 2021 @ 06:08 AM
link   
US colleges and universities are big business now. Student loan debt is out of control. Most businesses don’t train anymore they want a college degree for the most mundane things. On top of that they have become cesspools of Bad ideas with horrible professors expressing their views and only their views to the students. It more like a continuation of high school rather than an adult education facility.

Not everyone should go to college.

posted on Jul, 2 2021 @ 06:16 AM
link   
As to the OP, having gone to college somewhat recently after doing it 30 years ago, the standards have declined drastically. Cheating is rampant -- I mean reaaaally rampant. The expectations are dumbed down incredibly. I've seen countless graduate level projects and papers that sound like an 6th grader put it together. I don't know how we compete on the world stage. Having had a few teachers from eastern bloc countries, I would say we are way behind in at least the math/physics side.

Personally I think they need to revive the apprentice -- mastery system for much of what goes on in college and leave it for more of what is covered in masters level courses. There is zero point in going for most liberal arts degrees and most actual arts are taught traditionally using an apprentice/master type system -- same with a large part of the trades.

What we have today is a bunch of "decent" tradesmen, but almost no true masters left. We also have a bunch of people told they have to get college degrees that are useless, but they needed to get brainwashed and financially dependent on the government so...success!

There needs to be a fundamental change in society and the individual before things change. Right now no matter what scores people are making, being on top is not what it seems. In the end it will take a wholesale restructuring of what college is for and a cleansing of the brainwashing before it can truly shine.

posted on Jan, 6 2023 @ 09:51 AM
link   

posted on Jan, 6 2023 @ 10:02 AM
link   
it really does depend on who does the ranking and the politics behind the ranking at any given time.. but I can't see the us lose to much..

posted on Jan, 10 2023 @ 02:06 AM
link   

posted on Aug, 9 2023 @ 07:18 AM
link   

posted on Aug, 9 2023 @ 08:15 AM
link   
the us will go the way of British universities if the incoming power wants to continue working with them, its not normal for old power like the uk to remain a power when overtaken by the new power its hard to assume this will remain true for the usa when china displaces it..

countries export their culture wars via university is as liable to import as export. China is as liable to import that us cultural wars as the us was to import the British regency attitudes.. impotent to implement prohibition in the Britain but successfully exporting it..

China is already putting up walls to keep us culture out.. it's learnt from what happened to the Soviet block.

new topics

top topics

join