Generation Y&Z, What is our Place in the World?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join

posted on Oct, 1 2012 @ 06:19 PM
link   
We all need to go buy a farm, some non-Monsanto seeds, some sheep, goats, chickens, bees, etcetera. Go back to the land, people. Grow your own food. Make your own clothing. Do it communally, for all I care. Your generation needs to get back to the land. Join the FFA and 4H. We're post-industrial now. All you and anyone is left with are the remnants of that crumbling infrastructure.

That's probably just my dream though. But I see the need to swing back in that direction.

posted on Oct, 1 2012 @ 08:19 PM
link   
Well I am 20 years old, and I didn't really get into any alternative topics until about 16 or 17. However, since this short journey has begun, I have already increased my knowledge of important topics 10 fold. I find that if the youth of today can just find the right path, we can change the world more than any generation before. We can do this because of all the amazing tools we have at our disposal: TV, computers, internet, 3d, increasingly powerful telescopes, cellphones with cameras, and video games to name a few.

The problem with this is that those same tools that can be used to hold us back, things like: World of Warcraft, Call of Duty, Jersey Shore, Sports( all of which are televised), Facebook, twitter, and things of the sort. They all are just there to occupy the time of the younger generation to keep them from stepping outside the little world that has been created for them. I'm not saying that you cant use those to your advantage, just that they are commonly used as a way to keep us entertained. As Dumbledore once said: “Words are, in my not so humble opinion, our most inexhaustible source of magic, capable of both inflicting injury and remedying it.”

On the other hand however, I can not deny how corrupt and evil society is. All around the world people starve to death, yet here in America I see people who weigh hundreds of pounds. Some people eat enough food that they could have normally fed an entire village with how much they eat. Not to mention the obvious rule of the world by the central banks.

Just to remind you the world isn't all peachy. We have a right to have criticism for society and mankind's evil nature.

I believe that the majority mindset is on the verge of a massive transition, a transition that is be somewhat violent but gradual. And I believe that those same tools that are used against us, will be the undoing of those who intend to stifle dissent and occupy the attention of those who are capable of critical thinking.

For the older generation I say this, remember that we are your future. And know that this generation does have those who still remember what is really important and beautiful in the world. Remember that not all of us listen to Dubstep, waste or lives on MMO's, or don't read a good book now and then.

I think it is my responsibility to ensure that all the beauty that the past generations gave us, is not only preserved, but revived.
edit on 1-10-2012 by Renegade2283 because: (no reason given)
edit on 1-10-2012 by Renegade2283 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2012 @ 09:30 PM
link   
I'm 21 soon to be 22.

Judging our generation now is futile. Our script is yet to be written.

No leaders have stepped up yet, we're barely into the world as adults if at all.

I believe that the age group currently 15-25 will produce some of the most extraordinary people ever. Not all of us are hypnotized by MTV, video games, and other ego-rubbing stimulus. There are a great many who have grown up in the information age and made great use of it. Many who are living with responsibility in a period of seemingly insurmountable problems and working hard to overcome.

Combining high amounts of information with significant challenges is a good formula for producing great leaders. Remember that just as we are dangling on the edge of political collapse, we are also resting at the bottom of a cannon for technological leaps. It will likely be young adults in the world today making key contributions that revolutionize life through future technology. Computers, biotech, nanotech, energy, genetics all stand to make great leaps in the next couple decades.

With this in mind, those that are not bent toward the STEM fields (Science Tech Engineering Math) need to contribute to a similar and maybe more important cultural revolution. Volunteering, increasing individual and community responsibility. If this happens, then our generation may end up being viewed as the greatest in history when all said and done. The generation that pulled America from the cliff and shot it out of the cannon.

I think it is likely that because of the dissatisfaction mentioned in the OP, our generations redefines politics and creates a 3rd party that stimulates advancement and ethics. Cutting back on lobbying, encouraging personal responsibility and community service, increasing activity throughout the population.

A lot of potential here, and often times challenges drive evolution.

There's my pro-young people take, feel free to cut it up those that think the young are hopeless.

posted on Oct, 1 2012 @ 09:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by benrl
Don't worry one day your generation will be the "man" and the oppressors of socitey, while there will be some member of the youth posting something very similar to what you are on what ever passes for social networking in there day and age

It is possible for a generation to break from the previous generations.

I chose to not become "the man" in my field and I'm Gen X and still have "options" Gen Y/Z just don't have.

All it takes is REAL education, not public schooling and mass media fear.

Previous generations were not as widely educated, informed, and connected as ALL generations are now.

Just like rocks may fall "all the time" on a mountain, avalanches are still special situations that result when a LOT of rocks fall at once.

The avalanche has already started and has been going for a few generations but *is* building momentum day by day.
edit on 1-10-2012 by ErgoTheConclusion because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 01:36 AM
link   
reply to post by DocHolidaze

How can you project that onto an entire generation? Talk about ignorant. And often "weird" people and the downtrodden go on to be very successful. I recall when I was younger seeing a picture of my dad at a campsite.. apparently he was homeless, living on an island in the middle of the Susquehanna River in a tent. After the parties, the drugs etc he went on to be a fully functioning uptight adult with a great career.

The Emo Werewolf might end up being the CEO of a F500 company, or the mid level manager over your own "normal" kids. Who knows? Don't judge, and certainly don't project onto people.

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 02:51 AM
link   
reply to post by purplemer

well me personally, i am not that much older than the kids im talking about so i had no part in raising the generation that i am deeming weak and brainwashed, hell there are people my age that fall into the same category,

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 02:53 AM
link   

i know your not all are like this
reply to post by Rockpuck

brush up on your reading comp skills it will serve you well in the future.

and i didnt say"weird" I SAID "weak"
edit on 2-10-2012 by DocHolidaze because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 07:56 AM
link   
You will all get your chance in the not too distant future to run the world, and I'm hoping you can learn from the mistakes of my generation, which is either gen x or baby boomer born 30 December 1964. All depends on who you talk too.
I like many other old farts would like my time again. I made too many mistakes, but hindsight is a wonderful thing.

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 08:15 AM
link   
The problem is we have turned from a bunch of heros and doers, to a bunch or cry babies and scared little kittens who hide under sheets and blankets of interactive social opinions.

We have moved from teaching kids to work with what you have, that you can do anything if you put your mind to it, and to generally deal with issues yourself growing up but we have moved to this teaching kids to seek help for even the smallest of issues, to get online and solve an issue, almost like to not be yourself but be a group , when this is a great ideal to have, it's not a mainstay of social preparedness, we need more individual thinkers. We have this group mentality going on. It's how you create some seriously messed up, but somehow accepted behavior, the werewolves for example say they are not there for attention, yet, they are pea cocking like crazy with those tails, and other loud accessories, how can you say you don't want attention, and then go and do something completely different than what is considered non-flashy.

We also now teach our kids to share their feelings and treat others with respect, and yes this is a good practice, but we do live in the real world, where there is a certain type of person who preys on such people who share their feelings and treat others well. We don't seem to teach how to handle these issues anymore, we have swayed away from standing up for yourself and switched it with yelling for help or telling someone about it later.

It's a few steps from taking our 2nd amendment away, thats where our generations are heading, and once they do, crime won't stop, just the ability to have no idea if this homeowner has a gun or not does when someone wants to rob, rape, or worse.

Our generations have slowly declined and sadly I think it's due to the lack of including younger generations into the mix of whats going on worldwide and nationwide. Before the internet, we had the ability to focus on issues that affected us locally and abroad since we had the time to absorb it from where ever we might have. Now with Internet sites like facebook, google, twitter you can get news from them if you choose so, you can just as easily only see what you want, and therefor leaves a lot of people in the dark.

I love the ideas of the internet, I love what I can do, and how I can reach out from a single place. But at the same time, I believe it has crippled society at the same time bringing it together without the tools from before the web, and we will need to figure out a means to moderate the lack of direct personal interactions from the days of old somehow before we become apathetic and more like a drone.

Almost like we have exchanged certain ideals and concepts for others, I have often thought about it, and the one real reason we will never have true change in this country, is due to the fact that the more generations that are created, the less amount of people even care enough to run for a government position to create change, yes we have heard this said but for it to actually be implemented, would be a nice reality. Most feel they can't make a difference against the corruption that currently exists.
edit on 2-10-2012 by Moneyisgodlifeisrented because: (no reason given)
edit on 2-10-2012 by Moneyisgodlifeisrented because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 10:18 AM
link   
As society advances, we may seem weaker and spoiled, but we are not.

You can point to any time in history and suggest they were different...stronger. This is not the case.
Because you simply have to point at 50 years before where you pointed and see how the former generations had it harder.

Humanity hasn't had it truely hard in western civilization since the industrial revolution. So, anyone whom speaks to you about how back in their days, it was harder, people were better, etc...ignore them. They are speaking nonsense. They had cars, bikes, fun hobbies and sports. They collected baseball cards, bb guns, dolls, etc...there is envy that they didn't have what kids have today, but taking away some kids ps3 is similar to taking away someones red rider bb gun back in the day..both will moan and cry endlessly over superficial stuff.

Todays society is focusing more and more on intelligence over physical strength..so adjusting philosophies will have some trouble..but in 100 years it will be the total norm. machines doing the grunt work, and people working complex tasks mostly. The dinosaurs of today will seem quaint..like those people whom sabotaged tractors when they first were invented, demanding hoe and shovel, oxen driven plows, etc be the staplemark forever.

Gen Y and Z. You will eventually grow into adulthood and I am certain amongst you will be saints and sinners..like every generation before you, and every generation after you.

I, being of Gen X, am happy with the timeline I have experienced...my youth was librarys and books for knowledge...then it swapped over in my late teens to internet...first little BBS systems, then the internet...good times. For you, I have some envy...I would have sacrificed my dog for a PS3 when I was a kid verses my atari 2600. But, I won't say todays generation is spoiled because they have what wasn't invented yet in my time.

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 10:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Moneyisgodlifeisrented
The problem is we have turned from a bunch of heros and doers, to a bunch or cry babies and scared little kittens who hide under sheets and blankets of interactive social opinions.

Tell that to the ranks of the military...bunch of crybabies fighting year in and out.

No...

What has changed is your perspective.

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 10:34 AM
link   

The more things change the more they stay the same,

Much of what you said can be said of any generation,

Take the 70's and the hippy gen.

Every gen thinks its situation is special.

Truth is the names may change but the general feeling of youth is restless angst and distrust of authority.

Don't worry one day your generation will be the "man" and the oppressors of socitey, while there will be some member of the youth posting something very similar to what you are on what ever passes for social networking in there day and age
I can appreciate what you're saying, but I'm 42, and I've seen many things come and go. This generation is NOTHING like generations past.

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 10:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by poloblack
I can appreciate what you're saying, but I'm 42, and I've seen many things come and go. This generation is NOTHING like generations past.

This has also been said many times before.

I still have hope that the future generations will show their merit, given the time to do so.

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 11:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by ErgoTheConclusion

It is possible for a generation to break from the previous generations.

I chose to not become "the man" in my field and I'm Gen X and still have "options" Gen Y/Z just don't have.

All it takes is REAL education, not public schooling and mass media fear.

Previous generations were not as widely educated, informed, and connected as ALL generations are now.

Just like rocks may fall "all the time" on a mountain, avalanches are still special situations that result when a LOT of rocks fall at once.

The avalanche has already started and has been going for a few generations but *is* building momentum day by day.
edit on 1-10-2012 by ErgoTheConclusion because: (no reason given)

And it's 'possible' 2012 is really the end of the world. lots of things are 'possible' but still will not occur.

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 11:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by peck420

This has also been said many times before.

I still have hope that the future generations will show their merit, given the time to do so.
I was born in 1971. I've seen lots of things in my 4 decades on Earth, and I stand by what I said. We had respect for elders in my day. Not so much today. As kids, we had to have an active imagination, as there were no Xboxes , or internet. This generation are the poster children for instant gratification. Anyone ever heard of an allowance? Well, that was something my little brother and I EARNED by doing daily chores. The music back in the day was actually MUSIC. The crap that they have to choose from today is pathetic in comparison. They can sit up all night on school nights watching television, while, back in the day, around 2 o'clock a.m., the National Anthem came on and television went off. I could go on for pages, but I think I made my point. As one poster said, it's largely due to poor parenting. It is what it is. Is there hope? I don't know, because the situation doesn't seem to be improving.

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 11:50 AM
link   

I was born in 1971. I've seen lots of things in my 4 decades on Earth, and I stand by what I said. We had respect for elders in my day. Not so much today. As kids, we had to have an active imagination, as there were no Xboxes , or internet. This generation are the poster children for instant gratification. Anyone ever heard of an allowance? Well, that was something my little brother and I EARNED by doing daily chores. The music back in the day was actually MUSIC. The crap that they have to choose from today is pathetic in comparison. They can sit up all night on school nights watching television, while, back in the day, around 2 o'clock a.m., the National Anthem came on and television went off. I could go on for pages, but I think I made my point. As one poster said, it's largely due to poor parenting. It is what it is. Is there hope? I don't know, because the situation doesn't seem to be improving.

Aside from the materialism that is currently spanning the current generation in power down to the latest born, the rest of your post is subjective.

Does the upcoming generations think and do things differently than me? Yup. Does that make it wrong or bad? Nope.

Just different, just like every generation before them and, most likely, every generation after them.

Side, I went to school with children that got fixed allowances for nothing. My children currently go to school with children that get fixed allowances for nothing. The more things change, the more they stay the same...granted, the dollar or two some of my friends got seemed to have gone much further than the allowances of today, but that might just be nostalgia talking.
edit on 2-10-2012 by peck420 because: There we go

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 12:15 PM
link   
reply to post by POPtheKlEEN89

You might find this interesting, it relates directly to your topic and explains in detail how generational roles are cyclical and the role that the "Millennial Generation" plays in the current cycle:

edit on 10/2/2012 by clay2 baraka because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 12:24 PM
link   
Im pretty sure outside of a select percentage that the Y and Z generation are going to be the end of the country.... They are spoiled rotten, lazy and entitled... I hear this on a daily basis

"I dont want to work 8 hours at the mall its boring"

SERIOUSLY!? Then go look at the OWS kids "I want free college" "i want a new iphone"

its just incredible

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 12:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by peck420

Aside from the materialism that is currently spanning the current generation in power down to the latest born, the rest of your post is subjective.

Does the upcoming generations think and do things differently than me? Yup. Does that make it wrong or bad? Nope.

Just different, just like every generation before them and, most likely, every generation after them.

Side, I went to school with children that got fixed allowances for nothing. My children currently go to school with children that get fixed allowances for nothing. The more things change, the more they stay the same...granted, the dollar or two some of my friends got seemed to have gone much further than the allowances of today, but that might just be nostalgia talking.
edit on 2-10-2012 by peck420 because: There we go

Concerning allowances, that was my point: kids don't EARN anything anymore. I don't know when you grew up,but as I've said before, this is an instant gratification generation. I can appreciate your position, but this generation is like no other. With all of the technology available, they are behind in education. Even countries we're supposed to be ''superior'' to, run circles around this generation academically. That's a very important fact. When I was in school, American students excelled in math and science. Not anymore. They excel in shallowness these days. I'm just calling it as I see it. If texting, Facebook, and Twitter ceased to exist, sometimes I think this generation would go stark raving mad. Nobody reads anymore, and as far as writing goes, do they even do that anymore?

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 03:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by corvuscorrax
And it's 'possible' 2012 is really the end of the world. lots of things are 'possible' but still will not occur.

That view is your loss and says more about you than the rest of the world. Good luck with that approach!

<< 1  2    4 >>

join