It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rape - It's causes

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 30 2012 @ 09:14 PM
link   

When she says "don't get raped" isn't the ultimate question here, why does rape happen?

Rape happens because men are sexual animals. That is, men by nature - especially in the social and political climate in which we live - tend to follow their balls over their brains.

This is just the general original state in which the male human specimen functions, prior to the imposition of reason on his behavior. At this state, this is sadly man's general inclination.

Now, why do some man actually go through with the act of rape? Undoubtedly, the chief and motivating force of the act is sexual lust for the victim. On his mind is not 'I want to over-power her' but rather, to put it bluntly, I want to F*ck her. The means by which effects this end is physical force.

So the ultimate issue then is the moral state of any individual man. However, no one can be told how to think and act, and much less can their weak moral views be elevated above raw sexual lust. In times when a man rapes a woman, it is an expression firstly of a completely dissolute mind, and secondarily, a man of intense sexual frustration.

When a woman is told "don't dress like a whore", as Krista Ford told Toronto women, she obviously meant it as a practical measure. Rape occurs because dissolute men become attracted to woman that catch their attention; it stands to reason that the more scantly dressed you are, the more likely you will fall under their radar, as this tends to be how men, and in general, people think.

Therefore, that asian girl holding a picture which complains about instructing woman to take precautions like dressing more moderately to avoid increasing the likelihood of getting raped is an essentially political act which subordinates the personal safety of women to the political goal of changing people perceptions.

But the perceptions being forced on us don't square with reality. Rape happens because sexually frustrated men commit a horrendous moral offense, but the issue isn't resolved by telling women to 'stand up for your right to dress as you want', but rather, analyzing the deeper issues beneath the surface which encourages the type of behavior which sees a man commit to an action so obviously heinous.

At root here is over sexualization in society, and a lack of a sense of morality in the popular culture. In other words, people subjected to a daily diet of hip hop, trance, house, reality tv shows, family guy, clubs, alcohol, drugs, etc, are not going to be 'convinced' to respect woman because a campaign is telling them they should do it. These feminists have highly unreasonable expectations.

The only moral advice, then, appears to be in line with the evidence. The evidence suggests that if a woman cares to protect herself from being sexually violated, it's in her personal interest to dress in a manner that doesn't make her stick out like a sore thumb.
edit on 30-9-2012 by dontreally because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2012 @ 09:22 PM
link   
Whole lot of assumptions in that post...

Things like its about lust and not power, well thats debatable in the extreme...

same with the over generalization that men think with their balls.

I do agree its a far more complex issue, far more complex than simple lust as well.

The solution is a complex mix of education and empowerment, both for men and women as a whole.

Its a human problem not a sex problem.

The abused often times turns into the abuser, and like it or not that is a cause of rape as well.

Power, Abuse, Lust, its a complex issue and over simplifying it down to "male lust" Is just as much as a mistake as anything else.

posted on Sep, 30 2012 @ 09:28 PM
link   
reply to post by dontreally

Rape happens because men are sexual animals.

Your assumptions are deafening.
If you think this is one sided you obviously haven't had much experience with women or are one yourself and refuse to see their faults.
Humans are sexual animals.

posted on Sep, 30 2012 @ 09:31 PM
link   
What threads are next?
Shoplifting: Its causes
Murder: its causes
child molestation: Its causes
Seriously? These things happen because there is a percentage of our society that acts without thinking, and sometimes just out of desperation. Stupid people do stupid things. Period. I think the underlying question you are trying to ask is if women "deserve it" because of the way they dress, and portray themselves. I thought I heard a statistic one time that most rapes happened by people the victim knew. If thats the case, then we must ask a whole new question.

posted on Sep, 30 2012 @ 09:34 PM
link   
Ah yes here it is:

Women are usually victimized by someone they know. Who you associate with and what you do are primary considerations. Sexual assaults usually take place indoors, so who you let into your home or apartment (or where you go) is crucial. Consider the following statistics from the US Department of Justice: Victims knew their offenders in about 5 in 10 violent crimes against men and 7 in 10 violent crimes against women In 2008 females experienced about 552,000 nonfatal violent victimizations (rape/sexual assault, robbery, or aggravated or simple assault) by an intimate partner (a current or former spouse, boyfriend or girlfriend).

crimeinamerica.net...

posted on Sep, 30 2012 @ 09:41 PM
link   
I'm pretty sure that middle eastern women who cover themselves completely still get raped, among other things. I think misogyny plays a role, somewhat. It's one of the reasons I face palm every time I see the "what is she doing out of the kitchen?" comments. Keep moving backwards, humanity.

edit on 30-9-2012 by MrUncreated because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2012 @ 09:56 PM
link   
Are there any statistics covering women who have been raped in kitchens?

I would imagine most rapes occur in rooms that have a bed or couch of some type.
I would bet that the kitchen is probably the room women are least like to be raped in.

I'm gonna catch all kinds of hell for this.

posted on Sep, 30 2012 @ 10:08 PM
link   
seems you think rape is a purely male thing? what about the females who are actively involved in rape, especially rape of minors?

in one area there have been 2 heavily publicized cases of a female not only getting minor children for their partners but are probably the ones who then murdered the victims, at least one of which actively participated in the actual rapes. then there are stories of other females involved in procurement of other females to form a stable of prostitutes one of the more recent being a girl of 14 years old if i remember correctly. as for males being raped, especially by a female it tends not to get reported due to the "embareasment" factor. how does this fit in with your version of rape only being a male thing?

i think there are probably many reasons for rape. one being people who haven't been able to find a willing partner and can not overcome their sex drive. some have been mentally/psychically abused by either sex and take out vengeance on the same sex of their abusers. some may get a feeling of power over others through rape. some it may be as simple as once they start they can not regain control, and stop when their otherwise willing partner decides to stop. yet others may have fantasies about doing stuff that their partner might not be into. some even feel that since a female is not dressed appropriately (to them anyway), that the other person really does want it. i am sure there are many more reasons as well.

both males and females should always be wary of what goes on around them thus reducing the chance of being raped. rape is NOT a PURELY MALE thing and to think so is to be just as sexist as anyone else.

posted on Sep, 30 2012 @ 10:18 PM
link   

Dear dontreally,

When she says "don't get raped" isn't the ultimate question here, why does rape happen? Rape happens because men are sexual animals. That is, men by nature - especially in the social and political climate in which we live - tend to follow their balls over their brains. This is just the general original state in which the male human specimen functions, prior to the imposition of reason on his behavior. At this state, this is sadly man's general inclination. Now, why do some man actually go through with the act of rape? Undoubtedly, the chief and motivating force of the act is sexual lust for the victim. On his mind is not 'I want to over-power her' but rather, to put it bluntly, I want to F*ck her. The means by which effects this end is physical force. So the ultimate issue then is the moral state of any individual man. However, no one can be told how to think and act, and much less can their weak moral views be elevated above raw sexual lust. In times when a man rapes a woman, it is an expression firstly of a completely dissolute mind, and secondarily, a man of intense sexual frustration. When a woman is told "don't dress like a whore", as Krista Ford told Toronto women, she obviously meant it as a practical measure. Rape occurs because dissolute men become attracted to woman that catch their attention; it stands to reason that the more scantly dressed you are, the more likely you will fall under their radar, as this tends to be how men, and in general, people think. Therefore, that asian girl holding a picture which complains about instructing woman to take precautions like dressing more moderately to avoid increasing the likelihood of getting raped is an essentially political act which subordinates the personal safety of women to the political goal of changing people perceptions. But the perceptions being forced on us don't square with reality. Rape happens because sexually frustrated men commit a horrendous moral offense, but the issue isn't resolved by telling women to 'stand up for your right to dress as you want', but rather, analyzing the deeper issues beneath the surface which encourages the type of behavior which sees a man commit to an action so obviously heinous. At root here is over sexualization in society, and a lack of a sense of morality in the popular culture. In other words, people subjected to a daily diet of hip hop, trance, house, reality tv shows, family guy, clubs, alcohol, drugs, etc, are not going to be 'convinced' to respect woman because a campaign is telling them they should do it. These feminists have highly unreasonable expectations. The only moral advice, then, appears to be in line with the evidence. The evidence suggests that if a woman cares to protect herself from being sexually violated, it's in her personal interest to dress in a manner that doesn't make her stick out like a sore thumb.

I don't know that I agree with much of what you said. Every man is not a rapist, yet, we all have sexual urges. Rape does not occur because of sexual urges, it occurs because some believe that their enjoyment is more important than another's pain. It is an act of violence caused by selfishness. Rape and other forms of corruption all come from the same place, selfishness.

posted on Sep, 30 2012 @ 11:04 PM
link   

Rape happens because men are sexual animals. That is, men by nature - especially in the social and political climate in which we live - tend to follow their balls over their brains.

Uhhh the vast majority of psychologist will agree that rape is not a sexual act.. it's an act of violence, an act of domination.

At root here is over sexualization in society

Your entire post is just filled with garbage. Oversexualization of society? Please. Rape is part of Human Nature, it's been around for as long as we've existed. Rape is no more common today than it was a hudred years ago. In fact, it's probably far less common simply because now we can talk about it, women can come forward, and rapist are jailed.

posted on Sep, 30 2012 @ 11:21 PM
link   
reply to post by benrl

same with the over generalization that men think with their balls.

I meant it more in an abstract way of man from a purely biological perspective. Civilization and reason exposes us to the awareness of the evil in rape.

Power, Abuse, Lust, its a complex issue and over simplifying it down to "male lust" Is just as much as a mistake as anything else.

I didn't chalk it up to 'just sex'.

When you look at it, you have to break it up into basic parts.

a) There's the awareness of the rapist in the act of rape
b) The social circumstances that lead to acts of rape

These are two different view points.

In the actual act of rape, whats motivating the person is sexual drive. Therefore, the act of rape is caused by sexual drive.

In the social circumstances which lead to rape, there's an array of problems, some of which I made mention to under the rubric 'popular culture'. There is something fundamentally awry in the popular culture if any man can be led to committing an act of rape.

But if rape is a current problem, you cant expect to protect people by sidestepping the immediate cause i.e sexual lust.

Of course, both subjects need be tackled, but the general idea that a woman's dress can have an effect in increasing the likelihood that she'll be noticed by sexual predators is sound.

On the other hand, there should also be found a way to rid woman of this fear of being violated by men. But as the situation currently stands, the claim - that woman are being blamed - should therefore mean that a woman shouldn't take precaution because it is unfair, is a careless piece of advice since it ignores the fact of the immediate cause of rape (sexual lust).

posted on Sep, 30 2012 @ 11:24 PM
link   

So what is it called when a woman rapes a man? It has happened. So in your mind only men take advantage of sexual urges. So what about women who screw their way up the ladder? That's every bit as much as predatory as a man raping a woman because he wants some poon. Think women are not capable of using their bodies to get what they want from men? Ever hear of the Peloponnesian war between Athens and Sparta? Sparatan women refused to have sex with their men until the men agreed to go to war on Athens. People taking advantages of others sexually is certainly nothing new. Nothing new under the sun.

posted on Sep, 30 2012 @ 11:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Rockpuck

Uhhh the vast majority of psychologist will agree that rape is not a sexual act.

The 'vast' majority of the 'vast majority' of psychologists have a political agenda.

Link

If it's honestly being claimed that the motivation during rape is 'power', then what do we make of the conscious state of the rapist during rape? The only thing on his mind is sex.

Therefore, if rape is as you say, a part of human nature, than it is sex and sex alone that is responsible for rape.
edit on 30-9-2012 by dontreally because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2012 @ 12:00 AM
link   

ughh the 'vast' majority of the 'vast majority' of psychologists have a political agenda.

One could also say the vast majority of the "vast majority" of feminists have a political agenda.
Should we discredit all of them?
It's hard to take you seriously when you place conviction in such fallacies as "men are sexual animals" and "rape is purely sexually driven".
These are ignorant statements to make with no evidence lending credence to them.

posted on Oct, 1 2012 @ 12:06 AM
link   

......Ok

I didn't expect much in the way of argument from you, but it was a good laugh.

It's a serious issue with serious causes.. sex is not the cause, rarely the motivation. There's a reason why "normal" men in a typical state of mind do not rape or would ever rape. There are usually some extreme underlying issues with the rapist. There are normally divisions in the whole "why" men rape in a violent fashion, and it's usually divided by Sociologist (where most of those vocal with your opinion are) and Psychologist. The majority of psychological studies have confirmed that even within "normal" appearing individuals, rape and the desire for rape, like any "abnormality" of social function is caused by some form of personality or psychological disorder.

Not hard to conceive when you consider that nearly 13% of the entire population can be easily classified as being "sociopaths" to some degree, and an even larger percentage with "personality disorders."

To blame sex is quite frankly elementary. Blaming "over sexed men" for rape is the gender equivalent of blaming women who "dress like whores" for being raped in the first place. Idiotic, childish and ignorant.

posted on Oct, 1 2012 @ 08:09 AM
link   
Rape is a serious crime . Rapist are Animals who should be hung in Public

posted on Oct, 1 2012 @ 08:29 AM
link   
The reason for most rape is not one sided, however, there are many one sided rape where the victim was in the wrong place at the wrong time.

This is not a male thing...and yes even tho its dominance and control, it does involve sexual lust as well.

Studies have shown that Women and Men are equally sexually active, but better at managing it or rather hiding it.

For example, if a women does rape a man...

1) men do not complain

2) society won't really believe

3) men would feel emasculated

4) prevent embarrassment (due to society view on how a man should be).

There are almost equal pedophile, rapist and etc on both sexes, ones are better at hiding and have social advantage due to modern law and regulations over the other ones.

posted on Oct, 1 2012 @ 09:19 AM
link   
i do have a question for the OP. what is the story behind this picture? where was it taken? there are valid reasons for asking this as this could effect the whole of what the picture is about. i suspect i know and if i am correct your thread may be a disservice to her by redirecting what it may really be about.

posted on Oct, 1 2012 @ 06:05 PM
link   

i do have a question for the OP. what is the story behind this picture?

I second this notion.
The phrase became a popular shaming tactic of feminists in early 2011.

It is a prime example of an emotional device meant to play on a man’s insecurities and shut down debate.
Tactics like these are almost always used by feminists who refuse to accept logical reasoning and are blinded by emotional agenda.
It is no different than a woman identifying what they perceive as phallic symbols due to a personal associative recognition and claiming them to be the work of men to dominate them in society.

This is an example of the illogical reasoning that causes the ridicule of the feminist movement and discredits the few intelligent women left that work hard for the movements cause.

posted on Oct, 1 2012 @ 06:36 PM
link   
I thi k rape is more a unchecked biological vestige than a men are animals thing. A gorilla or any other male animal will, if able to do so, take what they want female wise. The gorillas don't ask they just walk up and attempt to procreate. I think it's a left over urge from our caveman days. Sad that some men can't control their urges and do what every normal guy does in the same situation. Go home be by yourself for ten minutes.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join