It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Have a question. kinda political based.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 30 2012 @ 08:01 PM
link   
I'm not too knowledgeale about the stuff though I do try to read up as much as I can and scope the topics on here. Etc etc.

I started out loving Ron Paul. But then realized qute a few of his ideals didn't stick with me.
I found Gary Johnson and found that a lot of his ideals are cool.
Sadly since neither will win, I guess the best one to go for is the current since the alternative is against a lot of things and I think the Country would suffer more with him in office.

Lesser of two evils I suppose.

So a friend came down on me hard saying that I'm a hypocrite because about a year ago I was saying I didn't like a lot of things Obama and the entire Administration had done. But now I'm like, well it's between Romney and Obama - the latter seems best suited in my opinion. So now my pal says I'm a joke and an idiot - though he is pro Obama mind you. It's like what? A person isn't allowed to change their mind and mind set? I thought it was kind of rude. Just wanted to ask here what you all thought.

posted on Sep, 30 2012 @ 08:23 PM
link   
Knowledge can only help any decision, the key is boiling it down to actual facts.

A person who never changes their mind is ignorant.

That being said, I personally am tired of having to choose between a giant douche and a turd sandwich as south park so elegantly put it.

Frankly anyone that still buys into the Two party system, and doesn't see it for the puppet show it really is needs to open their eyes.

Obama, Romney, it truly doesn't matter, the agenda marches on. They put up superficial differences that we can fight over, mean while things like the War on Drugs, the War on Terror, US expansionism still marches on no matter who is in office.

I honestly couldn't tell you what the answer to our problem is, but I know neither of the Two clowns they want us to vote for has any answers to the real problems.

Their money is in prolonging the problems, and not in solutions.

Gary Johnson, is a good choice. Hell any Third party is a good choice, if enough people voted that way it would show (even if they dont win, which they wont) That the PEOPLES mandate is no longer with either of the Two major parties.
edit on 30-9-2012 by benrl because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2012 @ 08:28 PM
link   
reply to post by benrl

In my opinion third parties carry their own baggage. For all intents and purposes Carter was paramount to a third party candidate and when he reached Washington he immediately was confronted by obstructionism from both sides of the isle and was quickly marginalized and made ineffective.

I think any dark horse, third party winner would face the same.

As many of us sit around on ATS arguing Obama vs Romney vs Paul vs Johnson vs the other few who I can't even name by rote, I can only say that we might expend our energies better by spending more time figuring out how to fix the broken throne than about who might next sit upon it.

~Heff

posted on Sep, 30 2012 @ 08:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hefficide
reply to post by benrl

In my opinion third parties carry their own baggage. For all intents and purposes Carter was paramount to a third party candidate and when he reached Washington he immediately was confronted by obstructionism from both sides of the isle and was quickly marginalized and made ineffective.

I think any dark horse, third party winner would face the same.

As many of us sit around on ATS arguing Obama vs Romney vs Paul vs Johnson vs the other few who I can't even name by rote, I can only say that we might expend our energies better by spending more time figuring out how to fix the broken throne than about who might next sit upon it.

~Heff

Honestly I think Obama started out wanting to fix things, and instantly hit a Partisan wall, what we see externally is an end result of what happens in DC internally.

Term limits, campaign finance reform, overturning Citizens united, all would go a long way to fix the problems inherent in the system.

But partisan ship is perhaps the BIGGEST hurdle to all of the problems, the team mentality of Dem vs Rep prevents any change from occurring.

Overcoming that would be the first step to get all the inherent problems fixed.

We all need to see we are Americans First, and our country is burning, we need to put that fire out Together, not separate.

As the saying goes Divided we fall.

People like the OPs friend who can only ridicule instead of working toward a more educated voter say by helping the Op understand the issues are a part of the problem.

posted on Sep, 30 2012 @ 08:39 PM
link   
You have every right to "roll with the changes". How else to come to a conclusion in this case?. And it does come down to choosing one evil over the other...thats how this election is coming down now too. Look at it as going for ice cream on a hot day and they are about to close....

You have your mind set on vanilla, but would take chocolate if they were out of vanilla. You see a friend outside the store who just bought the last chocolate scoop...and they had wanted vanilla too, but the store was out when THEY ordered...and now youre left with only 2 choices-strawberry or butter pecan. You didnt want either one....but you still have to choose the best choice for your preference out of your options.

Its ok...at least you plan to vote! Thanks.....

edit on 06-10-2010 by mysterioustranger because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2012 @ 08:50 PM
link   
Thank you everyone. I was just flabbergasted and had to get more opinions. Guess to my friend, one is not allowed to change their mind and you have to stay with whatever you feel strongly about and that's it.

I know many who are strong supporters of someone and at the last moment realize they were wrong and go the other route. They are allowed to. It's NOT being a hypocrite or a joke. It's being true to who you are and what feels right for you.

posted on Sep, 30 2012 @ 09:43 PM
link   
This is an attitude I fully don't understand in politics myself.

Basically, it states that you have to believe on thing and believe it and never change your mind.

A hypocrite is someone who says people have to believe one thing but completely does another.

For example, say a politician who constantly criticizes homosexuals then it turns out he's a homosexual himself. That would be hypocritical.

Changing your mind is not.

Basically, it was just an excuse to shame you because you believed something different than him so he could feel holier than thou.

edit on 30-9-2012 by EvilSadamClone because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2012 @ 09:53 PM
link   
reply to post by sarra1833

In the end Sarra, vote your conscience and the rest be damned. When the day ends, it's your face you'll have to look at in the mirror - and yours alone.

From your posts you seem to me to be a very bright and compassionate person. I have no doubt that you'll do what you feel is right when that voting booth curtain closes behind you.

~Heff

posted on Sep, 30 2012 @ 10:44 PM
link   
Thanks, Heff. That means the world coming from you.

It's all we can do really; do what we feel is correct. Rather, that kind of ties in to many aspects of life, you know?

top topics

join