It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ever seen one of these creatures?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 1 2012 @ 12:55 PM
link   
reply to post by intergalactic fire

Lovely pic!

DO you ever run across bones?? I dont know where you are photographing, but one of my cousins in Louisiana sent me pics of bones that keep washing up these days. Theyre nicely bleached so she was going to make something out of them.. starving artist.. and since I used to be in the med field asked me if they were human.
Fortunately they were animal... but interesting that these caches of bones keep coming. I lived on the gulf most of my younger yrs and dont recall this happening.

posted on Oct, 1 2012 @ 02:25 PM
link   
Hey, If you look up bluebottle jellyfish in a google image search, your picture above and a link to this thread pops up on the first page. Cool !

posted on Oct, 1 2012 @ 05:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Advantage

I come across bones quite often yes. I'm guessing most of them are from gulls and other seabirds.

posted on Oct, 1 2012 @ 05:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Crakeur

Hmm, i don't think it's a sea slug by looking at your links. And didn't saw anything like 'feet' or feet like a typical land slug.
I forgot to take a shot for scale references. It was around 15-20cm a little bigger than my hand.
I'm pretty convinced it's a bluebottle.
Thx for the input

posted on Oct, 1 2012 @ 06:13 PM
link   
reply to post by intergalactic fire

having reread your opening post, I see now that the "thing" was out of the water. I thought it was submerged, thus my slug suggestion.

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 09:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by n00bUK
I hope you get eaten by a shark.

We call shark "flake" and its mighty tasty, if its small enough. The big shark taste like ammonia.
If they get me, they better be quick, their not protected where I come from.

The jelly fish is a bluebottle
edit on 2-10-2012 by borntowatch because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 09:58 AM
link   
Looks like the Man O' War and the Bluebottle are one in the same.

The Portuguese Man O' War (Physalia physalis), also known as the Portuguese Man-Of-War, Man-Of-War, or Bluebottle, is a jellyfish-like marine cnidarian of the family Physaliidae. Its venomous tentacles can deliver a powerful sting.

Man 'O War/Bluebottle

Always fun to learn something new first thing in the AM

and, ouch...

Stings usually cause severe pain to humans

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 10:06 AM
link   
We have them wash up on our beaches all the time here in australia. We call them the blue bottle, which people have already stated here.

When you walk around our beaches, it's good to keep an eye out as they can often go unnoticed due to their clear structure. They are usually just washed up on the sand or in the shallow water, but the point is, they pop up like lego bricks on the floor. Even a dead one can discharge its cells if a person steps on it by mistake.

Hence why i'm not massive on going to the beach here haha.

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 08:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by xxdaniel21
We have them wash up on our beaches all the time here in australia. We call them the blue bottle, which people have already stated here.

When you walk around our beaches, it's good to keep an eye out as they can often go unnoticed due to their clear structure. They are usually just washed up on the sand or in the shallow water, but the point is, they pop up like lego bricks on the floor. Even a dead one can discharge its cells if a person steps on it by mistake.

Hence why i'm not massive on going to the beach here haha.

Well it's Australia, the only country in the world where all the wildlife is out to kill ya!

top topics

<< 1   >>

join