It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Maggot Guts Lead to Murder Victims ID

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 30 2012 @ 06:38 PM
link   

Police in Mexico recently discovered a body burned beyond recognition in a remote patch of woods just off a country road.

Nothing new right

The body was burned so bad that the only viable soft tissue left was the liver. However that too was rendered unable to get DNA.

So the Mexican Anthropologists and Forensic Examiners thought out of the box....It results amazing

However, forensic investigators were able to find useful genetic material in an unusual place — inside the guts of the maggots infesting the corpse's neck and face. "This is the first reported case of analysis of human DNA isolated from the gastrointestinal tract of maggots used to identify a victim in a criminal case

I don't know this is quite amazing that they were able to determine a DNA sequence out of the stomach contents of maggots. I know maggots are used for time lines. But never for DNA. This new technology might help solve all sorts of Jane and John Does around the world.

Source

posted on Sep, 30 2012 @ 06:44 PM
link   
No big deal, they do this on CSI all the time

On a real note, every scientific breakthrough can really help these cases. So many cold cases have been solved because of new technology. And on the opposite note, many people have been released from prison because of new DNA breakthroughs.

posted on Sep, 30 2012 @ 06:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by headorheart
No big deal, they do this on CSI all the time

It is really sad that people actually think that the stuff they do on those shows is real. My wife likes watching CSI...I like to point out the flaws. This is amazing technology hopefully it will be put to good use.

join