It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Kryptos Sculpture (CIA's cryptic sculpture)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 30 2012 @ 06:01 PM
link   
Source

Kryptos is a sculpture located on the grounds of CIA Headquarters in Langley, Virginia. Installed in 1990 by artist James Sanborn, its 1800 characters contain encrypted messages, of which three have been solved. There is still a fourth section at the bottom consisting of 97 or 98 characters which remains uncracked.

The first section is a poetic phrase, which Sanborn composed himself. The second hints at something buried, and the third section comes from archaeologist Howard Carter's diary describing the opening of a door in King Tut's tomb on Nov. 26, 1922.

It's been 15 years since Sanborn installed the 12-foot-high, verdigrised copper, granite and wood sculpture, and it's been seven years since anyone made progress at cracking its code. On this page, I've provided a transcript of the ciphertext as well as explanations to breaking the first three sections. If you're interested in the solutions, just follow the links at the top. The first two parts are straight forward enough that nearly anybody with a simple education in cryptography can solve them. The third part is much more advanced, and the fourth part is borderline impossible.

Part I:
Between subtle shading and the absence of light lies the nuance of iqlusion.

Part II:
It was totally invisible Hows that possible? They used the Earths magnetic field X
The information was gathered and transmitted undergruund to an unknown location X
Does Langley know about this? They should Its buried out there somewhere X
Who knows the exact location? Only WW This was his last message X
Thirty eight degrees fifty seven minutes six point five seconds north
Seventy seven degrees eight minutes forty four seconds west ID by rows

Part III:
Slowly desparatly slowly the remains of passage debris that encumbered the lower part of the doorway was removed with trembling hands i made a tiny breach in the upper lefthand corner and then widening the hole a little i inserted the candle and peered in the hot air escaping from the chamber caused the flame to flicker but presently details of the room within emerged from the mist X
Can you see anythingq

I looked around and couldn't really find much on this in the last couple of years so I thought I would update everyone, as 3 sections have been solved and it seems tough to crack section 4.

The second section about something being buried is quite interesting...Is it a code by itself? I wonder how many people have been to that place and looked for something buried?

Anyway I just thought I would share this all with you as it was such a cool and cryptic story that I thought many of you would enjoy it.

Any thoughts?

Pred...

posted on Sep, 30 2012 @ 06:11 PM
link   
nice...

ok...reading the solved parts...part III...that reads like something iv read before.

when carter found the tomb of tutankhamun.....that part about a candle lighting up the room. and making a small hole in the top corner..etc

peace

here....Howard Carters Diary - 1922
Read november 1, 4 & 5
edit on 30-9-2012 by thePharaoh because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2012 @ 06:19 PM
link   
in part 2

whats langley....is that the HQ of the cia

"On a wall of the CIA’s Visitor Control Center at the Agency’s main entrance, there is an enlarged drawing that appeared in Frank Leslie’s Illustrated Newspaper during the Civil War. The drawing shows a small wooden building identified as “Guard House Near Langley”—a reminder that Langley, now known as McLean and the location of CIA Headquarters, once was known as the location of a Union Army outpost."www.cia.gov...

or could it mean
andrew langley - egyptology
or charles langly - navy commander

...as we open the can of worms........

posted on Sep, 30 2012 @ 06:49 PM
link   
hey i think im right about it being about tutankamun and howard carter

i found a website....the guy claims he found out clue 4
and it fits perfectly with my first impression

"Out of Darknss (darkness misspelled) A Gold King Tut"

i trust his translation...look at how he decoded it
theruraldemocrat.typepad.com...

so yea...great...i done it by myself....within 30 mins

im good...lol

peace

posted on Sep, 30 2012 @ 06:52 PM
link   
so they found the tomb of king tut...using magnetic fields??...makes sense when you consider how much gold was in there...

let me finish part 3....
"can you see anything....the glint of gold was everywhere"

this is deep....so carter didnt find it by accident????....they knew....# i got chills, theyr multiplying...

KRYPTOS SOLVED!

so what else do you know about this...please show

peace and respect
edit on 30-9-2012 by thePharaoh because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 07:07 AM
link   
Wow. Go back to that link where the guy is solving the puzzle. theruraldemocrat.typepad.com...

If you look in the comments it seems as if the OP after four years of progress this month paniced and is desperately trying to cover up his work. I wonder what exactly he found out? I don't want to be that guy but they did mention the whole thing itself is a riddle. Its a CIA monument and with all the references to underground and king tut I'm starting to think about fema camps.... lol creepy

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 07:44 AM
link   
Sorry for my original post bumping the thread. I just really hope someone else notices how frantically this guy is covering up his work after just about solving this puzzle that has been around since the ninetys. If nothing else, that in itself is worth questioning. This is what he posted. Keep in mind he hasn't made a post in like three years

Please remove all my posts from this site. I do not want them up here any more. I would appreciate your help with this. I will check back in a week. If you won't help or don't use this site, I will try to get google and other search engines to delete this page from their searches. The info I posted is incorrect, I dont want it out there anymore, so mr Belcher...If you can help...that would be really great.

edit on 30-11-2012 by whoisogre because: added quote

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 08:49 AM
link   
I've never heard of this before! Nothing beats a good mystery =)

This link is a great starting point.

top topics

join