City of Toronto Workers Destroy Free Community Food Garden Amid Growing Food Crisis

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join

posted on Oct, 1 2012 @ 06:21 AM
link   
If people believe that as a group they can manage public property for the better of the people, then I say let them. The government is employed by us, the tax payers and they are civil servants, nothing more. People should be the ones in control, not the government.

posted on Oct, 1 2012 @ 06:23 AM
link   
reply to post by generik

yes i agree that t.o. and other (all) cities should have a community garden!
that is just common sense,and brings communities together for a common good.
but mayor ford would never agree to this because (in city hall's mind) it gives the image of toronto being a 'poor' city that has to have public gardens to feed it's people!! and that would never do!
after all, toronto is the unofficial 'capital' of canada,and the factual money capital of the country.
imagine how that would look to the global community! unacceptable!!!
if the truth be known,it would show the truth to the rest of the world that toronto,and canada is hurting
just as much as the rest of the developed nations!
plus,its never any good for politicians when a community comes together for a good cause.
they may start talking and getting ideas,and wake up to the fact there getting screwed!!!
we can't have that can we!!!

posted on Oct, 1 2012 @ 06:26 AM
link   
reply to post by reficul

You seriously thought this was the only community based garden in Toronto?

Facepalm

lol

edit on 1-10-2012 by AlphaHawk because: (no reason given)

XL5

posted on Oct, 1 2012 @ 06:37 AM
link   
If the public are mad enough, they could always rip out the grass. Better yet, the public could plant grass before the city gets to, then rip it up 5 months later in spring. Heh, I wonder what would happen if some one could make a love tree (silly and impossible I know) and planted it there, would the city (ford) rip it out.

If they were planning on selling the food in the park, then I could understand the city not wanting that.

posted on Oct, 1 2012 @ 06:39 AM
link   
I would not be happy if people came onto my farm adn decided to grow what they want. Maybe permission needs to be asked. This is what happens when parents spoil their kids and let them do as they want they expect the rest of the world to baby them.

posted on Oct, 1 2012 @ 07:26 AM
link   
reply to post by jude11

This is an action of an immature mind, and a bully. I hope community organizers come down hard on city government.

posted on Oct, 1 2012 @ 08:27 AM
link   
I feel lucky to live in an area where our community veggie garden is loved by all!! We have had it for years now. I don't use because I have my own garden, but for those in town without much land, this community garden has been a blessing that everyone loves!

I think if our town destroyed the garden I would cry endlessly for the loss many people would endure; for all the time, love and energy put into growing the precious heirlooms!!!!

What happened in this OP is a tragedy......

posted on Oct, 1 2012 @ 08:28 AM
link   
reply to post by XPLodER

i think public land maintained by the public tax is for the public to use how they see fit.

Fine. I see fit to graze my cattle on it. You okay with that?

I think I'll dig part of it up for a fishpond, too.

posted on Oct, 1 2012 @ 09:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by masqua

Caption:

"We'll fix those bicycle riding hippies who think they can grow their own beans on city property, won't we Doug?"

"Yeah, Rob, we'll fix 'em."

"Mwhu huh ha ha ha ha" * choke *gasp*

Who be they, Tweedle dee and Tweedle dumb?

posted on Oct, 1 2012 @ 09:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Astyanax
reply to post by XPLodER

i think public land maintained by the public tax is for the public to use how they see fit.

Why not? That's precisely what we have done with our village greens for aeons.....
edit on 1-10-2012 by Suspiria because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2012 @ 12:18 PM
link   
I'm personally of two minds about this. First off I'm pissed that the city would wait till the last possible moment to destroy the garden, they could have easily destroyed it after the harvest or anytime in the five months prior to harvest... Either way would have been met with (far) less backlash from both the gardeners and the rest of the public should this become wider known.

On the other hand I understand the city's side of things, first off "Public Land" when in reference to city/park/town land doesn't mean "free to use" land, it means it's meant for public recreational enjoyment. As in providing a place for all peoples to enjoy, not just those looking to grow food, tend livestock, or work on their car. The grounds were set aside as a PARK, not a GARDEN, so what they did was in violation of city and moral laws. What I mean by moral law is, its wrong to take over someone's property for your own purposes without first asking their permission. After all if someone who you didn't know just randomly setup a garden in your front yard, without asking permission first, you would likely be pissed off regardless of their intentions (however noble).

They (the gardeners) are lucky to not have received fines over this, because the city would be well within their rights to charge each and every person who participated for not only "damaging" public areas, but also billing them for the time and materials to "repair" said lands.
edit on 1-10-2012 by looneylupinsrevenge because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2012 @ 12:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Suspiria

On the Left, we have Doug Ford, brother of the fella on the right, Rob Ford, mayor of Toronto (blessed be his girth).

posted on Oct, 1 2012 @ 02:36 PM
link   
I can see both sides to this, although the city was very stupid not to harvest the food and give it to a food bank at least.
My big question is why did they wait so long?
That just seems intentional and cruel.

posted on Oct, 1 2012 @ 02:45 PM
link   
Ah yes, tear the gardens out and throw some block party bbq's instead. Hopefully the city can experience some more shootings out of them....

This is something positive for the community, if it's not on the books, put it on the books. People are tired of everything being destroyed, whether it be hoodlums or city workers. Jesus...

posted on Oct, 1 2012 @ 02:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by juniperberry
Well, first of all, if they had worked WITH the city instead of just squatting on public land, things could have worked out.

Since it IS city owned land, there are requirements to get permits and stuff. Vancouver has a plethora of plots set up by non-profits and community groups who have worked WITH the city to organize things.

Even Vancouver City Hall is donating their own lawn to set up garden plots.

Seriously, instead of being obnoxious about it, the squatters could have just asked.

It's the Canadian thing to do after all.

The city could have resolved this in a much more diplomatic manner. Waiting until the day before harvest just seems like they want to irritate the people involved.

If it wasn't a legal garden, they should have made an effort to turn it into one or at least ban that location next year before people come and plant there.

If it's something positive for the community I don't see why they shouldn't at least (bare minimum) be accommodating.

posted on Oct, 1 2012 @ 02:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Astyanax
reply to post by XPLodER

im all for it,\
but the milk and meat become property of those who pay taxes towards the land

dont be so dumb, its about community not profit

xploder

posted on Oct, 1 2012 @ 02:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by dontreally
reply to post by dainoyfb

lol, we have no growing food crisis, I have no idea what the OP meant by that.

But that doesn't mean a food crisis isn't on the horizon. For everyone on our wonderful North American continent.
Where the hell do you live? Mars? Canned tuna has gone up almost 20 cents in the last 3 months here in Tennessee. That's nearly a 30% increase! Hell, even bottled soda's gone up 25% in the last 3 weeks. Macaroni and cheese, you know, the cheap kind? Not so cheap anymore!

Pull your head out of the sand, buddy.

posted on Oct, 1 2012 @ 02:56 PM
link   
I would not want to be the guy that ordered that. Is Vegas taking bets on the date of his beating?

posted on Oct, 1 2012 @ 03:20 PM
link   
I submitted an 85 pound heirloom pumpkin at the "Maximum Yield" trade show 2 weeks ago. I heard all kinds of horror stories of community gardens and co-op's being shut down, citing code violations.

Even after being issued a garden permit by the respective cities, these garden were suddenly shut down. I think its a show of force on the citizens who do this good work. It's almost impossible to do good in this world without being punished, its a shame.

posted on Oct, 1 2012 @ 04:40 PM
link   
C'mon folks get with the pOgram?

The digestive wellness website Puristat raises concerns about some commonly-used preservatives. The site associates nitrates and nitrites with asthma, headaches and nausea in some individuals. Sodium nitrite may be converted to nitrous acid within the human digestive system, and this substance has been associated with high rates of cancer in laboratory animals. Allergies to benzoic acid and sodium benzoate can cause severe reactions. Even salt, which the body needs in small amounts, can contribute to cardiovascular disease when regularly overeaten.

Linkydinky
edit on 1-10-2012 by Bluemoonsine because: (no reason given)

new topics
top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join

Haters, Bigots, Partisan Trolls, Propaganda Hacks, Racists, and LOL-tards: Time To Move On.
read more: Community Announcement re: Decorum