It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tecumseh

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+3 more 
posted on Sep, 30 2012 @ 03:11 PM
link   
History is written by the victors. Amazing humans are often left in the trash heap of lost memories because they don't "fit the mold of the narrative".

As Pucksinwah stared at the sky on this night, he saw a huge meteor streak across from the north, leaving a trail of greenish-white flame. It lasted for fully 20 seconds and was unlike anything he had ever seen before. This was the Panther spirit that the old men sometimes spoke of, and a good sign indeed. As the women around the fire talked excitedly and pointed to the heavens, a baby's cry came from the shelter. Usually a child was not named for several days while the parents waited for a sign to indicate what the great spirit Moneto wished the child to be called, but this child must surely be named Tecumseh, "The Panther Passing Across".

Tecumtha (March 1768? - 5 October 1813) or Tekamthi, usually known as Tecumseh, was a Native American mystic, warrior, and military leader of the Shawnee and a large tribal confederacy that opposed the United States during Tecumseh's War and the War of 1812.

Tecumseh

Tecumseh tried, in vain, to stop the westward migration of the Americans. His prophecies were true in that the Indians were never to be let in peace, their lands taken and their lives destroyed.

The way, the only way to stop this evil is for the red man to unite in claiming a common and equal right in the land, as it was first, and should be now, for it was never divided. We gave them forest-clad mountains and valleys full of game, and in return what did they give our warriors and our women? Rum, trinkets, and a grave.

It may be claimed his unwavering stance precipitated the final destruction of the "Indian Nation" by allining with the British in the War of 1812, but his determination to be free and live life as he saw his ancestors is still that of lore. He dispelled many myths of the Indian as a savage and earned respect among both American and British governments as an orator and warrior. William Henry Harrison, his greatest foe, said this:

If it were not for the vicinity of the United States, he would perhaps be the founder of an empire that would rival in glory Mexico or Peru. No difficulties deter him. For four years he has been in constant motion. You see him today on the Wabash, and in a short time hear of him on the shores of Lake Erie or Michigan, or on the banks of the Mississippi, and wherever he goes he makes an impression favorable to his purpose.

William Henry Harrison

"Live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart.
Trouble no one about his religion.
Respect others in their views and demand that they respect yours.
Love your life, perfect your life, beautify all things in your life.
Seek to make your life long and of service to your people.
Prepare a noble death song for the day when you go over the great divide.
Always give a word or sign of salute when meeting or passing a friend,
or even a stranger, if in a lonely place.
Show respect to all people, but grovel to none.
When you rise in the morning, give thanks for the light,
for your life, for your strength.
Give thanks for your food and for the joy of living.
If you see no reason to give thanks, the fault lies in yourself.
Abuse no one and no thing, for abuse turns the wise ones to fools
and robs the spirit of its vision.
When your time comes to die,
be not like those whose hearts are filled with fear of death,
so that when their time comes they weep and pray for a little more time
to live their lives over again in a different way.
Sing your death song, and die like a hero going home."

The being within me hears the voice of the ages, which tells me that once, always, and until lately, there were no white men on all this island, that it then belonged to the red men, children of the same parents, placed on it by the Great Good Spirit who made them, to keep it, to traverse it, to enjoy its yield, and to people it with the same race. Once they were a happy race! Now they are made miserable by the white people, who are never contented but are always coming in! You do this always, after promising not to anyone, yet you ask us to have confidence in your promises. How can we have confidence in the white people? When Jesus Christ came upon the earth, you killed him, the son of your own God, you nailed him up! You thought he was dead, but you were mistaken. And only after you thought you killed him did you worship him, and start killing those who would not worship him. What kind of a people is this for us to trust?

more quotes

Tecumseh is not known in our history as well as Daniel Boone. Does anyone here know Boone was once an adopted member of his tribe, the Shawnee?

Tecumseh embodies what many here, on ATS believe. That you must fight, even against the largest of odds, for what you believe to be true in your heart. His life and story should not be buried in history - his story should be known by all and that it is not is a clear sign that history is written by those who won.

ColoradoJens

posted on Sep, 30 2012 @ 03:23 PM
link   
some argue aliens are doing the same to america.

they are slowly taking over american society and in return they gave americans iphones and microchips.

now that's a conspiracy if bob lazar is right.

posted on Sep, 30 2012 @ 04:41 PM
link   
Tecumseh's brother Tenskwatawa was the prophet. And Tecumseh's reliance on his brother's prophecies is what got him killed. He was a great leader of Native Americans, doing what no other had ever done in uniting the tribes against the white aggressors, but he should've followed his own advice when he said "From my tribe I take nothing, I am the maker of my own fortune."

/TOA

posted on Sep, 30 2012 @ 06:05 PM
link   
reply to post by The Old American

You are right. His brother was a loser and many around Tecumseh knew it - perhaps that was his biggest fault - he trusted his brother too much and put too much power in "the prophet".

CJ

posted on Sep, 30 2012 @ 10:10 PM
link   
reply to post by ColoradoJens

More inspired wisdom:

The white people, who are trying to make us over into their image, they want us to be what they call "assimilated," bringing the Indians into the mainstream and destroying our own way of life and our own cultural patterns. They believe we should be contented like those whose concept of happiness is materialistic and greedy, which is very different from our way.

We want freedom from the white man rather than to be intergrated. We don't want any part of the establishment, we want to be free to raise our children in our religion, in our ways, to be able to hunt and fish and live in peace. We don't want power, we don't want to be congressmen, or bankers....we want to be ourselves. We want to have our heritage, because we are the owners of this land and because we belong here.

The white man says, there is freedom and justice for all. We have had "freedom and justice," and that is why we have been almost exterminated. We shall not forget this.

Techuseh

CJ

posted on Oct, 1 2012 @ 02:55 AM
link   
A interesting story you have written about Tucumseh. I embroidered a logo for the Canadian Navy with Tucumseh on it. I do not have the picture on this computer, but if you would like to see it I will pull it off my embroidery computer tommorrow and post it.

posted on Oct, 1 2012 @ 07:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by mipher
A interesting story you have written about Tucumseh. I embroidered a logo for the Canadian Navy with Tucumseh on it. I do not have the picture on this computer, but if you would like to see it I will pull it off my embroidery computer tommorrow and post it.

Wow, that is awesome. I would love to see it. If you can, please post it.

I find it interesting the US Military quotes on of their main foes of the early 1800's and finds inspiration enough in his words to include them in the movie Act of Valor: From the Williamsburg Military Insider:

The movie Act of Valor at the end, has this amazing poem by Native American Shawnee Chief, Tecumseh. I wanted to share it with you all. As a Current Military Spouse it has a special place. It’s truly amazing and I hope that it inspires you to make this life count, to pursue noble undertakings, and live to the fullest having used all your talents and have no regrets.

poem here (and above)

CJ
edit on 1-10-2012 by ColoradoJens because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2012 @ 07:56 AM
link   

A few more gems for the day:

"When you rise in the morning, give thanks for the light, for your life, for your strength. Give thanks for your food and for the joy of living. If you see no reason to give thanks, the fault lies in yourself."

"Then they will destroy these forests, whose branches wave in the winds above the graves your fathers, chanting their praises."

"A single twig breaks, but the bundle of twigs is strong."

"Show respect to all people, but grovel to none."

Tecumseh for the day

CJ

posted on Oct, 1 2012 @ 07:59 PM
link   

Not really an interesting subject for most I see. How about this one? Here is a speech Tecumseh gave to eventual President William Henry Harrison regarding a bogus land purchase and treaty (treaty of Greenville) Harrison coaxed out of lesser chiefs. At the time the Indians were viewed as savages and barbarians - even now many have a hard time grasping the eloquence and intelligence of the Indians - clearly, you'd be wrong to dismiss the fact a noble and keen people were speaking the words many have said after them in the face of imperialism:

Houses are built for you to hold councils in. The Indians hold theirs in the open air. I am a Shawnee. My forefathers were warriors. Their son is a warrior. From them I take my only existence. From my tribe I take nothing. I have made myself what I am. And I would that I could make the red people as great as the conceptions of my own mind, when I think of the Great Spirit that rules over us all. I would not then come to Governor Harrison to ask him to tear up the treaty [the 1795 Treaty of Greenville, which gave the United States parts of the Northwest Territory].

But I would say to him, "Brother, you have the liberty to return to your own country." You wish to prevent the Indians from doing as we wish them, to unite and let them consider their lands as a common property of the whole. You take the tribes aside and advise them not to come into this measure. You want by your distinctions of Indian tribes, in allotting to each a particular, to make them war with each other. You never see an Indian endeavor to make the white people do this. You are continually driving the red people, when at last you will drive them into the great lake [Lake Michigan], where they can neither stand nor work.

Since my residence at Tippecanoe, we have endeavored to level all distinctions, to destroy village chiefs, by whom all mischiefs are done. It is they who sell the land to the Americans. Brother, this land that was sold, and the goods that was [sic] given for it, was only done by a few. In the future we are prepared to punish those who propose to sell land to the Americans. If you continue to purchase them, it will make war among the different tribes, and, at last I do not know what will be the consequences among the white people.

Brother, I wish you would take pity on the red people and do as I have requested. If you will not give up the land and do cross the boundary of our present settlement, it will be vary hard and produce great trouble between.

The way, the only way to stop this evil, is for the red people to unite in claiming a common and equal right in the land, as it was at first, and should be now -- for it was never divided, but belongs to all.

No tribe has the right to sell, even to each other, much less to strangers.

Sell a country?! Why not sell the air, the great sea, as well as the earth? Did not the Great Spirit make them all for the use of his children?

How can we have confidence in the white people? We have good and just reasons to believe we have ample grounds to accuse the Americans of injustice, especially when such great acts of injustice have been committed by them upon our race, of which they seem to have no manner of regard, or even to reflect. *When Jesus Christ came upon the earth you killed him and nailed him to the cross. You thought he was dead, and you were mistaken. You have the Shakers among you, and you laugh and make light of their worship.* Everything I have told you is the truth. The Great Spirit has inspired me.

Perhaps the words of Tecumseh are going to come around full circle one day.

CJ
edit on 1-10-2012 by ColoradoJens because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2012 @ 08:29 PM
link   
Beautiful thread op, I have enjoyed reading it very much, so thanks.

I agree with you, I think the spirit of the land and the people who are very cosely linked to it, can feel the residue and build up of many many years of forced functioning in the, not entirely right direction.

I think it is only because of them that we have survived as long as we have (think, where medicine comes from as a very small example), but there is major imbalance in the energies and thoughts of how a majority live, and It leaves a residue which ebbs and flows and has effect.

Our land brothers have been interacting with the American land brothers, to me, this is a positive and exciting thing and shows a positive aspect of our future.

There should really only be pity for those who have been made or conditioned to be disconnected to the land and what it provides, and it's a very big gap in education. Lucky for us there are millions of people still who revere the land/gift.

posted on Oct, 1 2012 @ 08:39 PM
link   
reply to post by AussieAmandaC

Thank you for your kind and true words. I find it interesting that even in Tecumseh's time, he saw the greed and avarice of the white man - men who's belief was the more you own the better you are. Today this is more prevalent than ever. The true connection to the land, beauty and self are lost.

"You must bear in mind these strangers are not as you � they are devoid of natural affection, loving gold or gain better than one another, or ki�tchi�tchag (their own souls)."

"And waw�bi�gon�ag (the wild flowers), which your maidens once loved to wear, have all withered and died."

wisdom

CJ

posted on Oct, 1 2012 @ 08:54 PM
link   

Not really an interesting subject for most I see.

Its not that it isn't interesting, I was familiar with much of what you've posted and you're doing a good job with the thread. This is important for people to understand so I'm bumping it back to the top, but reading all this again makes me more heartsick over our history than I already was.

posted on Oct, 1 2012 @ 10:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by frazzle

Its not that it isn't interesting, I was familiar with much of what you've posted and you're doing a good job with the thread. This is important for people to understand so I'm bumping it back to the top, but reading all this again makes me more heartsick over our history than I already was.

Thank you. I know people are aware of Tecumseh, but the history is so muted yet important in understanding many issues of today - I too am heartsick over our history, but there is much redemption in acknowledging the wrongs of our past - thanks again for posting.

CJ

posted on Oct, 1 2012 @ 11:34 PM
link   

History is, indeed, very shameful. If only wishing and dreaming could change reality.

Orson Scott Card wrote some wonderful books of alternative American history, they way it should've been. In "Pastwatch" he ship wrecked Christopher Columbus, changing Native American history, allowing their culture to advance to a great modern civilization.

In the "Seventh Son series," Card introduced salvation and redemption through Alvin Maker, and Ta Kumsaw in the books. His brother Tensquatawa is also featured, as Tenskwa Tawa.

The characters in the book display features similar to the two famous Native Americans, and the famous Battle of Tippecanoe which involves both brothers is also a part of the book, although it doesn't happen like the real battle.

Race also plays a large part in the stories, particularly in the way that culture shapes the abilities that people of different groups develop. "Whites" have knacks or cultivated skills that we might recognize from the folklore and traditions of colonial America and western Europe. "Reds" align themselves with the rhythms of nature but also use blood to perform some of their magic. "Blacks" channel their skills into creating objects of power, in a manner somewhat similar to the beliefs and practices of voodoo.

A recurring and main theme of the books is the conflict between Creators and Destroyers—namely, Making such as Alvin does, and Unmaking that he confronts.
en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 03:03 AM
link   

This post is in regard to the picture of the embroidered logo of Tucumseh I was going to post and I cannot seem to get it uploaded. I don't know what I am doing wrong. When I finally figure it out I will put it up.

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 07:53 AM
link   
Tecumseh can be better understood through the lens of Simon Kenton. Read Eckert's The Frontiersman.

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 12:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by ColoradoJens

Originally posted by frazzle

Thank you. I know people are aware of Tecumseh, but the history is so muted yet important in understanding many issues of today - I too am heartsick over our history, but there is much redemption in acknowledging the wrongs of our past - thanks again for posting.

CJ

William Henry Harrison:

If it were not for the vicinity of the United States, he would perhaps be the founder of an empire that would rival in glory Mexico or Peru.

People should note this very clear statement by William Henry Harrison because that's the crux of the matter. The Shawnee just happened to be in the vicinity of the United States and Tecumseh's reluctance to allow his people to be pushed from their land presented a threat to US expansionist plans. Harrison flat out admits that.

Muted isn't exactly what I'd call the victor's rendition of "how the west was won", although the internet has certainly helped to inform people on how it was accomplished so I'm grateful for threads like yours and for all those who take the time to read and digest them.

But see, the red man, especially leaders like Tecumseh, was the enemy of the day, he threatened US "national interests", he was a belligerant, they were all terrorists, they dressed funny and were going to murder everybody in their beds so they had to be destroyed (a great many in their beds) or we'd all end up speaking Algonquin and living in tipis or something equally distasteful.

We're still there. We've always been there. Charismatic and powerful leaders are always targeted. Has there ever been a time in the existence of the United States when exactly the same accusations haven't been made against other leaders of people who were in the way of US progress? State defined enemies are enemies of the STATE, not of the people of the United States.

We all know people who give. We all know people who take. When the US denounced the first americans as "indian givers", that's one of the few truths they told because NA economies were based on giving, but it was twisted to allege the reverse. On the other side of the "coin", Indians had/have a name for the takers ~ wasicu, or "takers of fat". The takers just happened to be white. That's because white PEOPLE were and are used as battering rams to break down closed gates for the elitists in their ivory towers. The elites care nothing about their human battering rams as long as the job gets done.

Sorry for being so windy and going somewhat off topic, but americans who still consider themselves to be current landowners of the land their forefathers took from others might want to take note of what's happening with their own treaties with the elites. Mort = death. Gage = debt.

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 02:41 PM
link   
reply to post by frazzle

Your response is spot on and not at all off topic. In fact, it says better than what I have been trying to say. The parallels of modern imperialism and the demonization of those that stand before it were the same when it came to the Indians. It doesn't matter who it is; do not stand in the way of the machine or you too will vanish from the face of the earth. Long live walmart and facebook.

CJ

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 05:54 PM
link   

It was nice of you to say that, thanks. The trick is in trying to find ways to say these things without annoying the heck out of people who think the country was founded by selfless heroes and that greed only kicked in in the 1970s or 80s or 90s. Obviously I haven't found the trick because most of what I say on the subject annoys people. Not that that stops me.

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 05:58 PM
link   
reply to post by windword

Thanks for that post windword. I now have a few more books to check out - it is appreciated.

CJ

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join