It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The 2012 Presidential and Vice Presidential Debates. Your opinions?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 30 2012 @ 01:09 PM
link   
All of the debates for this election will take place from 9:00-10:30 p.m. Eastern Time. Are you watching them or not? Who has the best chance of winning each one?

The list:

First presidential debate:
Wednesday, October 3
University of Denver, Denver, CO
Moderator: Jim Lehrer, Executive Editor of the PBS NewsHour

The debate will focus on domestic policy and be divided into six time segments of approximately 15 minutes each on topics to be selected by the moderator and announced several weeks before the debate.

The moderator will open each segment with a question, after which each candidate will have two minutes to respond. The moderator will use the balance of the time in the segment for a discussion of the topic.

Vice presidential debate:
Thursday, October 11
Centre College, Danville, KY
Moderator: Martha Raddatz, Senior Foreign Affairs Correspondent, ABC News

The debate will cover both foreign and domestic topics and be divided into nine time segments of approximately 10 minutes each. The moderator will ask an opening question, after which each candidate will have two minutes to respond. The moderator will use the balance of the time in the segment for a discussion of the question.

Second presidential debate (town meeting format):
Tuesday, October 16
Hofstra University, Hempstead, NY
Moderator: Candy Crowley, Chief Political Correspondent, CNN and Anchor, CNN's State of the Union

The second presidential debate will take the form of a town meeting, in which citizens will ask questions of the candidates on foreign and domestic issues. Candidates each will have two minutes to respond, and an additional minute for the moderator to facilitate a discussion. The town meeting participants will be undecided voters selected by the Gallup Organization.

Third presidential debate:
Monday, October22
Lynn University, Boca Raton, FL
Moderator: Bob Schieffer, Chief Washington Correspondent, CBS News and Moderator, Face the Nation

The format for the debate will be identical to the first presidential debate and will focus on foreign policy.

Anyone care to make predictions on the outcomes? Out of four debates, I'll predict the following:

Debate one: I see Romney being strong on domestic policy and the economy, and Obama stumbling. Win to Romney.

Debate two: Ryan is a lot sharper than Biden, and it's going to be a solid win for Ryan. Win to Ryan.

Debate three: Obama may take the edge here. His favorite format is in the town hall. If Romney is careful, he may do well. Win to Obama.

Debate four: Tough to call here. Obama has the incumbency, but is weak overall in foreign policy. Romney will have to be polished. Too tough to call, but I'm favoring Romney.

After all of his media gaffs, Romney will finally be able to present himself in a formalized setting, and give everyone the chance to see him act like a Potus.

I'll predict a 6% Romney lead in the polls after the first debate. Thoughts?

posted on Sep, 30 2012 @ 01:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Druid42

Without the media running interference and reinterpreting Obama, I say that Romney will sweep the debates. I'm definitely watching.

posted on Sep, 30 2012 @ 01:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Druid42
Anyone care to make predictions on the outcomes?

Yes. There will be no changes to America, no matter who wins the presidential election.

And I will be 100% accurate about that prediction. Because presidents are irrelevant. Think of them as puppets. Public relation managers.

Obama lies...

Romney lies...

Bush lies...

Clinton lies...

edit on 30-9-2012 by Bodhi911 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2012 @ 01:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Druid42

The winner of the debate will be the BETTER LIAR! Nope, I won't be watching......I don't put up with liars in my personal life, so no need in watching two puppets debate on who the is the supreme liar......

posted on Sep, 30 2012 @ 01:21 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

I'll tend to agree, but you better review who the Mods will be. That definitely skews the questions. Loaded questions will make it challenging for each.

posted on Sep, 30 2012 @ 01:23 PM
link   
reply to post by seeker1963

Then you probably won't be voting either, aye? Now that is a shame.

Well, that's your choice.

posted on Sep, 30 2012 @ 01:25 PM
link   

reply to post by beezzer

I'll tend to agree, but you better review who the Mods will be. That definitely skews the questions. Loaded questions will make it challenging for each.

I'm sure that the issue will anticipated.

Not so much the questions, but how they'll be answered is what I'll be paying attention to.

posted on Sep, 30 2012 @ 01:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Bodhi911

Gee, I lie, you lie, they lie. Everyone lies. Barring a huge philosophical discussion on the nature of a lie, an untruth, an uninformed statement, and the truth, we'll find that the truth is often skewed by our own perceptions.

We'll be having the election this year without you. The election will still take place. It's up to you to either vote or not vote, and I'll leave it at that.

posted on Sep, 30 2012 @ 01:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer
Not so much the questions, but how they'll be answered is what I'll be paying attention to.

Why? There is no contract that they will do what they say they will do. In fact, history shows they rarely do what they say they will do.

I dont understand why you take it seriously, I really dont. And Im honest about that. Im not trolling or trying to upset you. I simply dont understand why people watch this and consider their answers as if they mattered.

edit on 30-9-2012 by Bodhi911 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2012 @ 01:33 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

So their responses will be able to influence your bias? Hmmmm. Not mine, I'm voting Romney.

Still, I am watching, and with interest. If Romney shoots himself in the foot, well, at least I will have watched it happen. All I can do is offer my support for who I think is the best candidate.

posted on Sep, 30 2012 @ 01:33 PM
link   

I still have faith in the system. I know it's flawed, I know that there are problems, but the inherent value instilled within the system is still valid.

Just my humble, of course.

posted on Sep, 30 2012 @ 01:35 PM
link   

reply to post by beezzer

So their responses will be able to influence your bias? Hmmmm. Not mine, I'm voting Romney.

Still, I am watching, and with interest. If Romney shoots himself in the foot, well, at least I will have watched it happen. All I can do is offer my support for who I think is the best candidate.

Their answers won't influence but reinforce them. (Biases, that is)

posted on Sep, 30 2012 @ 01:36 PM
link   

I'd rather watch the debates than an episode of "Vampire Diaries" or "Glee".

This is about the future of our nation. A new leader bends, not directly, the policies of our nation.

posted on Sep, 30 2012 @ 01:39 PM
link   
The Moderators and questions asked will no doubt be left leaning media biased. Even at that i would have to say Biden is definitely toast. It will be comedy hour. Obama/Romney will be interesting to watch.

posted on Sep, 30 2012 @ 01:39 PM
link   

I'd rather watch the debates than an episode of "Vampire Diaries" or "Glee".

This is about the future of our nation. A new leader bends, not directly, the policies of our nation.

I know it is. This is a critical election but in my opinion, you change your country by not voting and showing the same disregard for the system as the system shows you.

posted on Sep, 30 2012 @ 02:04 PM
link   

Apathy, however, by the citizens of a nation does not ensure their opinions get heard. I'll agree that this is a pivotal election, and I choose to participate.

It's a voluntary act.

posted on Sep, 30 2012 @ 02:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Druid42

Its not apathy on my part. I want real change in this world, so I would prefer if people didnt go to the voting booth and kept on supporting the system.

But things will unfold as they are meant to. Im actually quite a believer in fate, and even when I get frustrated, I realize that I can only affect the role I play in this world, and Im not responsible for the choices of others.

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 07:15 PM
link   
I wouldn't miss it!

top topics

join