It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

MMMM tomato basil quiche with feta....

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 30 2012 @ 11:44 AM
link   
I recently got some new cookware, it's vintage of course
so I had to use it. I love quiche and could literally eat it daily which is one reason I bought the quiche dish. It will get used quite often.

I have loved this pattern for years even decades. It's a flower which is also the Fleur De Lis another favorite of mine. The color and everything matches my kitchen and they will match even better when I have the kitchen painted.
The set is now discontinued (1976) but it's available online and I find it in second hand shops. I found a set of 25 for 5 bucks recently. I was stoked! It was apparently pretty popular when it first came out and still is used today.
I had someone recently tell me they had sold the entire set and went on a cruise for 3 with the earnings. I however will never sell this set. I LOVE it. I will find every piece! It's made by Pfaltzgraff which is a brand I have always enjoyed. These dishes have lasted longer than I have been alive and will last probably longer than me. I just don't get the same luck with today's "top brands." I prefer vintage kitchen items because of the quality...it is definitely better made!

Anyway to the recipe

Mblah's Tomato Basil Quiche w/ Feta and 5 Cheese Blend

Ingredients
1 9 inch pie crust (roll out kind, found by break and bake cookies)
1 9 inch quiche dish or you can use a pie dish
4 1/2 extra large eggs
3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
Salt/Pepper/Nutmeg
1/4 cup finely chopped fresh basil
1 1/4 cup diced tomatoes (about 2 medium tomatoes)
1/3 cup tomato basil crumbled feta (found by the cheese in grocery stores)
1 1/4 cup 5 cheese Italian blend (found in cheese section or use any 5 blend white cheese or just mozz)
Egg white
Grated Parmesan

directions
1. Preheat oven to 400F(204C)
2. Roll out pastry and press into pie dish and up the sides. Put some thing heavy in the middle. A bag of beans or a heavy thick plate. Bake for 8-10mins til set. Take out set aside and reduce heat to 350F(176C).
3. While crust is baking mix eggs and heavy whipping cream in a bowl. Add some nutmeg, salt and pepper and set aside.
4. Now take pie crust and sprinkle diced tomato in the middle evenly inside pie crust. Sprinkle basil on top of the diced tomato.

5. Sprinkle the feta over the basil and diced tomato.

6. Top with the 5 cheese blend or Mozzarella if you chose that.

7. Pour egg over cheese and completely cover the cheese

8. Bake for 45mins. til golden brown. When it's halfway done, usually around the 20min mark, brush the crust with an egg white and lightly sprinkle crust with the parmesan cheese.

Let sit for 10mins before serving.

This quiche is so not making it til tomorrow. It will be gone by 5! lol

posted on Sep, 30 2012 @ 02:33 PM
link   
Can I have a piece

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 10:14 PM
link   
Question

Why partially bake the crust?
Most quiche recipes I have used have the crust raw when you add the wet ingredients....does it make a difference??

new topics

join