It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Any one feel the Irving Tx Earthquake at 11:05 9/29/2012?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 29 2012 @ 11:35 PM
link   
My son just called from Irving Tx. Said he heard a loud boom then an earthquake where everything shook about 4-5 seconds.

usgs

I am guessing fracking because of the gas wells but he was freaking scared/excited. Depth only 2 miles so probably pretty noticible.

Any one else feel it?

posted on Sep, 29 2012 @ 11:41 PM
link   
I did not. I live several miles away.I'm actually just north of Dallas( Plano to be exact). Truth be told, this is the first I am even hearing about it.

Texas DOES get earthquakes from time to time.They are some what rare and usually pretty small...But we do get them
edit on 29-9-2012 by DirtyLiberalHippie because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 29 2012 @ 11:43 PM
link   
reply to post by liveandlearn
[more

Yes, we felt it. I'm in Euless, TX, just North of Irving. The shaking woke me. We even had an aftershock a few minutes later. Definitely not a normal Saturday night occurance.

posted on Sep, 29 2012 @ 11:45 PM
link   
Mckinney....nope....I'm the bad boy of north Irving in the 60's, though. university hills is sacred native american ground right in there in north Irving

posted on Sep, 29 2012 @ 11:46 PM
link   
Here is a local article about the earth quake. Apparently it was a magnitude 3.4...

www.wfaa.com...

Reports are saying that it has been felt as far north as Richardson, TX

posted on Sep, 29 2012 @ 11:49 PM
link   
YES! I thought a plane crashed as I live on the Irving side of DFW airport!

Was just looking into the history of earthquakes in the area as iI have never been in one.

If interest this is 20 year data within 100km.
USGS[editb y]edit on 9/29/2012 by ashtonhz8907 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 29 2012 @ 11:49 PM
link   
I did! I was going to make a thread but I figured someone would beat me to it. I'm in Grapevine and my EQ app says it was 9 miles away. It shook my room twice and I could tell it was something strange. I'm from Maine, I just moved down here, and it was officially my first earthquake! How did it feel for you guys closer to it?

My app says it was a 3.4. Think it was due to fracking?

posted on Sep, 29 2012 @ 11:50 PM
link   
I'm in southern Irving, and yes, we felt it. First ever earthquake experience for me. My daughter thought that the cat was stuck under her bed and trying to get out. Scared her pretty good.

posted on Sep, 29 2012 @ 11:50 PM
link   
reply to post by ashtonhz8907

Did you feel the aftershock? It's funny...I can handle tornados all day... But I bet I would freak out if I felt an earthquake...Just because I have never been through an earthquake

A bit of info about the quake,for anyone interested

posted on Sep, 29 2012 @ 11:51 PM
link   
My son lives in North Irving near Coppell (sp) at Valley Ranch . He and his wife were watching a movie and both jumped up. 2nd story apt. swayed. Pretty darn shallow so no wonder the apt swayed. That shallow must be fracking.

I am wondering if the fracking in the area combined to the closeness of the New Madrid fault could possibly cause it to extend.

Event Time 2012-09-30 04:05:01 UTC 2012-09-29 23:05:01 UTC-05:00 at epicenter 2012-09-29 23:05:01 UTC-05:00 system time
Location 32.847°N 96.956°W
depth=5.0km (3.1mi)
Nearby Cities 3km (2mi) N of Irving, Texas
10km (6mi) SSW of Farmers Branch, Texas
11km (7mi) NNE of Grand Prairie, Texas
11km (7mi) E of Euless, Texas
295km (183mi) S of Oklahoma City, Oklahoma

edit on 30-9-2012 by liveandlearn because: Add data

posted on Sep, 29 2012 @ 11:54 PM
link   
I felt it and it wasn't very pleasant. I'm over in the Southlake/Grapevine area.

posted on Sep, 29 2012 @ 11:55 PM
link   
reply to post by DirtyLiberalHippie

I only felt one shake but honestly felt like the shock wave of an explosion to me, felt like me and the house were being blown sideways.

I after hearing no sirens thought maybe it was just my house and went to check roof for fallen trees or anything that might have fell from the sky. XD
edit on 9/29/2012 by ashtonhz8907 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 29 2012 @ 11:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by liveandlearn
My son just called from Irving Tx. Said he heard a loud boom then an earthquake where everything shook about 4-5 seconds.

usgs

I am guessing fracking because of the gas wells but he was freaking scared/excited. Depth only 2 miles so probably pretty noticible.

Any one else feel it?

Based on the 20 year data I would say your guess is probably right, since 1992 have been 50 earthquakes counting this one and of that one happened in 1997 and the other 49 since 2008.
edit on 9/29/2012 by ashtonhz8907 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 29 2012 @ 11:59 PM
link   

Ah, just curious. Some are reporting an after shock. Glad you are okay!

posted on Sep, 30 2012 @ 12:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by DirtyLiberalHippie

Ah, just curious. Some are reporting an after shock. Glad you are okay!

Yeah my sister on the other side of Irving said she felt one but I myself didn't, maybe happened during my panic attack.

link   
I live in Dallas just North of Downtown. Been here with all night with the back door open and I didn't hear or feel a thing...

link   

Originally posted by ashtonhz8907

Based on the 20 year data I would say your guess is probably right, since 1992 have been 50 earthquakes counting this one and of that one happened in 1997 and the other 49 since 2008.

I admit, I didn't realize there was that much fracking going on around here. Apparently so. And with that major increase in quakes since 2008....I'd say that is a real possibility for the cause.

posted on Sep, 30 2012 @ 12:02 AM
link   

I used to live in Lake Worth and I know I could count at least 4 rigs from my house there, but I dunno what to blame.

Data does look suspicious though.

posted on Sep, 30 2012 @ 12:08 AM
link   

I definitely felt the aftershock. Here in Grapevine it was quite sudden, each time only like half a second, but I was laying here in bed and heard a sound then felt my bed shake and what seemed like the whole building (I'm in an apartment complex). I also heard the wall creak so I knew it was something big. I asked my mom if she felt it but she didn't as she was wrapped up in The Borgias and had headphones on. Then a minute or so later my bed shook again less drastically and my mom felt that one. We were wondering what it was till it popped up on my EQ app. I was surprised to see a 3.4. My mom had just read a newspaper article about fracking and aftershocks so I'm assuming that's no coincidence. For as short as it was, it was pretty wild! But then again I've never felt one before!

posted on Sep, 30 2012 @ 12:09 AM
link   
reply to post by nwellborn85

Same here, nwellborn! Freaked me right out!

new topics

top topics

active topics

<<   2  3 >>

join