It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Salted Caramel Bars of Crom!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 29 2012 @ 08:25 PM
link   

That's right, the sacred snack of Crom, mountain god of the Cimmerians, brought to you here at ATS.

First, start this music...

Now, enter the kitchen and drive all messes and filth before you, and hear the lamentations of the bacteria. We need a clean work environment.

Next, gather the sacred ingredients. You will require...

10 Tbsp of butter

½ cup of granulated sugar

½ tsp salt

1 egg yolk, separated with a war axe

1 2/3 cups of flour

Now, gird thine loins and follow these steps...

Heat the oven to 325 degrees.

Line an 11” X 13” casserole with parchment paper. If you don't have that, don't worry, just butter up the casserole and spread the dough directly in to that, the parchment is there for the convenience of lifting the bars out of the pan.

Mix butter, sugar and salt. Then whisk in the egg yolk and follow it up with the flour. What you have now is the short bread base.

Press the shortbread in to the casserole evenly to form the base, perforate with a fork to prevent bubbling during baking and put it in the freezer for 7 minutes to set it up.

Then put it in the oven and bake for 25 to 30 minutes until golden brown on the very edges.

While that is cooling make the caramel topping...

In a heavy sauce pan put all of these things...

½ cup unsalted butter

½ cup light or dark brown sugar

6 Tbsp of light corn syrup

1 tsp salt 2Tbsp granulated sugar

and 2 Tbsp of heavy cream.

Set it to medium heat. Once it is completely melted in to a mass turn the heat to medium and leave it there. Once it starts to really roll and boil, stir for 8 minutes and the pour it out over the shortbread topping.

Allow to cool somewhat and top with sea salt.

A lot of people don't know this but Conan and Thulsa Doom actually tried to talk things out and they shared some coffee and some of these caramel bars from Conan's small supply, just before Doom had him transfixed to the Tree of Woe.

Honest.

X.

edit on 29-9-2012 by Xoanon because:

posted on Sep, 29 2012 @ 08:41 PM
link   
You get a S&F for the fact you maybe the first person I've ever heard mention Thulsa Doom on here. I have the collectors edition of those two movies..They came in a sweet ass leather bound dvd case..I'll let ya know how the bars turn out.

posted on Sep, 29 2012 @ 08:50 PM
link   
reply to post by TheLonewolf

Hey thanks,

The recipe is straight up delicious and I guarantee that it increases one's powers to make friends.

But really, I just thought it was hilarious to think that the new topic list might be flooded with recipes from members and it cracked me up so I wanted to get a recipe up so it would be next to Mblah's; for effect.

I think I'm funny, anyhow.

X.
edit on 29-9-2012 by Xoanon because:

posted on Sep, 29 2012 @ 08:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Xoanon

Haha

Reading this recipe had me cracking up! It sounds delicious! I just might try it tomorrow lol. I have nothing to do and well it's Sunday, cooking day

posted on Sep, 29 2012 @ 09:01 PM
link   
reply to post by mblahnikluver

Thanks,

I hope that you do, it turns out awesome, but is a little ingredient dense.

Thanks for your own thread. The full moon must be pulling on all of our tummies.

X.

posted on Sep, 29 2012 @ 09:18 PM
link   

Hey Yo!

You're avatar is awesome.

And I'm making these tomorrow for the football games.

S&F Xaonon those look mighty delish!
edit on 29-9-2012 by olliemc84 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 29 2012 @ 09:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Xoanon

I noticed that it was right next to our official ATS chefs' post..It gave me a little chuckle too..I though maybe we were gonna have a recipe war, but everything seems to be cool..I'm gonna make these bad boys tomorrow.

posted on Sep, 29 2012 @ 09:30 PM
link   
Oh man, those looks completely delicious. I love caramel and I love shortbread, so the combo of the two should be incredible!

I don't have a suitable war axe to separate the eggs, but I suppose the old fasioned way would work just as well.

Thanks for the recipe, and the creative way of presenting it!

posted on Sep, 29 2012 @ 09:33 PM
link   
# lost my war axe....what could i substitute?

posted on Sep, 29 2012 @ 09:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by olliemc84

Hey Yo!

You're avatar is awesome.

And I'm making these tomorrow for the football games.

S&F Xaonon those look mighty delish!
edit on 29-9-2012 by olliemc84 because: (no reason given)

Hey Yo..
Thanks man..It's a damn shame what booze and drugs did to that man..I quit watching when he left the business.. on topic: I'm gonna make these tomorrow too during the games..can't wait

posted on Sep, 29 2012 @ 09:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by JValhalla
# lost my war axe....what could i substitute?

I think the one in your avatar would be a fine substitute

posted on Sep, 29 2012 @ 09:59 PM
link   
That was awesome my friend!

gonna try these tomorrow..

great way to get a recipe out there..

posted on Sep, 29 2012 @ 10:56 PM
link   
reply to post by baddmove

Your avatar is killin' me
reminds me of the time I woke up with my car parked in the backyard.....fenced in backyard...Ah, to be young and dumb again..
edit on 29-9-2012 by TheLonewolf because: added .

posted on Sep, 30 2012 @ 12:14 AM
link   
These sound awesome! I am crazy about shortbread and caramel too.

Love all these new ideas...I would rather bake than cook anyday.

Sadly I don't have a war axe either.....I have a yoshi blade?

And I think I will skip the grinding loins bit, always leads to trouble, hope they still turn out ok.

posted on Sep, 30 2012 @ 12:16 AM
link   

I ended up in a stranger's backyard once...don't drink and drive, especially without your glasses.

Oh, the 80's.

posted on Sep, 30 2012 @ 01:07 AM
link   
reply to post by timetothink

The late 80's early 90's ..What times they were..

posted on Sep, 30 2012 @ 06:42 AM
link   
Nice to see so many men here who realise that their place is in the kitchen

I wonder though, had these bars been properly finished off with a top coat of chocolate, whether the then endorphined-up Thulsa Doom would have been so hard upon Conan.

I'm making coffee and walnut cake today...but for future reference...what is this 'heavy cream'? Anyone?

posted on Sep, 30 2012 @ 12:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Biliverdin

OK, but you have to start the music again...

It's whipping cream.

Thulsa Doom conquered the Cimmerians, not to solve the riddle of steel, but to steal the secrets of their pastry recipes and techniques.

I am sure that you remember The Wheel of Pain?

Yes, The Wheel of Pain that Conan was made to push day and night as a young boy after he was captured by Thulsa Doom and forced to work as his personal pâtissier.

Indeed, the large wheel that Conan was made to push drives a tiny impeller at very, very high speeds and that whips the heavy cream in to whipped cream.

The cultural relevance of pâtisserie to the early Scythian horse tribesman cannot be overemphasized.

X.
edit on 30-9-2012 by Xoanon because:

posted on Sep, 30 2012 @ 02:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Xoanon

Many thanks...that clarifies matters...though, I don't get why it's called heavy, but I won't detract from your wonderfully amusing foutage de gueule by enquiring into the matter further.

posted on Oct, 1 2012 @ 06:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Biliverdin
Nice to see so many men here who realise that their place is in the kitchen

I wonder though, had these bars been properly finished off with a top coat of chocolate, whether the then endorphined-up Thulsa Doom would have been so hard upon Conan.

I'm making coffee and walnut cake today...but for future reference...what is this 'heavy cream'? Anyone?

Sure, NOW you give me the chocolate idea a day after I've made them
..I will definitely do this next time..I love being in the kitchen..I could cook from here to eternity, and never get bored. It's a modern day miracle I don't weigh 400lbs. I've been 190lbs as far back as i can remember, even though I eat like a horse.

edit on 1-10-2012 by TheLonewolf because: sp

top topics

<<   2 >>

join