It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Archaeologists Discover Lost Indian War Battlefield

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 29 2012 @ 02:48 PM
link   
In 1855, more than 500 Native American warriors, pioneer militiamen, and U.S. Army dragoons engaged in a desperate battle for control over Southern Oregon.

Over time the location of this engagement was lost

Lost battle link

Their work included combing document archives in Washington D.C., Seattle, Wash., Berkeley, Calif., and elsewhere, as well as extensive field survey by Southern Oregon University students and community and Tribal volunteers.

A good example of a University and local volunteers working together to recover a bit of archaeological history

posted on Sep, 29 2012 @ 03:09 PM
link   
There might be hundreds of those places buried under our feet the same way that our today's world will be buried under our descendants feet.

posted on Sep, 29 2012 @ 06:58 PM
link   
That particular area of the US is quite beautiful, and a wonderful place to live if you were dependent on the land. Lots of game, rivers teeming with fish, and it can get chilly and wet in the winter but it doesn't snow as a rule.

To lose such an abundant hunting and fishing ground would have been a tragedy for the Native Americans of that region, and one definitely worth fighting for.

There is an old road that runs by our property that leads from one rare watering hole to another, and I often walk along it, wondering about the natives who followed the mule deer as a food source along this trail. The deer still follow the same route, although the Native Americans who relied on them for food and clothing are long gone.

posted on Sep, 30 2012 @ 12:04 PM
link   
More information on that find by SOU (Southern Oregon University)

Go towards the bottom to Additional Historical Background: about 3/4 the way down /

posted on Sep, 30 2012 @ 01:52 PM
link   
Interesting article - there have been a few finds lately
heard threw word of mouth,
yet there is nothing on local news about it
( local as its only 20-30 min from me)
too busy reporting on football and the like.

I'm still trying to get over to the Paisley Caves which is about 4-5 hrs away

either way as a "bystander" don't think I would be allowed on the sites.

posted on Oct, 1 2012 @ 01:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by EvilBat
Interesting article - there have been a few finds lately
heard threw word of mouth,
yet there is nothing on local news about it
( local as its only 20-30 min from me)
too busy reporting on football and the like.

I'm still trying to get over to the Paisley Caves which is about 4-5 hrs away

either way as a "bystander" don't think I would be allowed on the sites.

The University of Oregon controls that site and I think Dennis L Jenkins is still the guy in charge. I'll PM you his email.

I'm planning to go out that way in the Summer just need to make sure the teams are there at the time

top topics

join