Egypt's Oldest Known Art Identified, Is 15,000 Years Old

page: 1
28
<<   2  3 >>

log in

join
+8 more 
posted on Sep, 29 2012 @ 02:38 PM
link   




Rock face drawings and etchings recently rediscovered in southern Egypt are similar in age and style to the iconic Stone Age cave paintings in Lascaux, France, and Altamira, Spain, archaeologists say.


The link

This is interesting in particular the part about how some of the carvings had been discovered nearly fifty years ago. Although the date of 15,000 years old is thrown out, its based on a guessestimate. The more scientific tests have yet to be done.

They noted it was unlike anything found in Egypt which is likely as, if the estimate on the date is correct, this was way before the Ancient Egyptian culture coalesced.


One part I particularly liked was




The leader of that expedition, Philip Smith, made the then novel suggestion that the figures were from the Paleolithic age—the Stone Age period from about 2.5 million years ago to about 10,000 years ago—in a 1964 article in Archaeology magazine The Paleolithic experts told them, It's absolutely crazy—Europe is the cradle of art," Huyge, the leader of the new expedition, said. "And they backed off the idea.

"They must have accepted the fact that that nobody wanted to believe them, but they were right."



Those two gentlemen, Smith and Tamplin will probably enjoy the confirmation

Link to PDF from the scientist who made the discovery above covering his earlier research in Egypt

More on Egyptian rock art




posted on Sep, 29 2012 @ 02:52 PM
link   
It drives me crazy that we can't date carved or cut rock.
I'm not kidding. It would change everything if we could.
We drive a car sized probe around on Mars but we can't date
cut stone? Come on!

Get thread OP!



posted on Sep, 29 2012 @ 03:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by sealing
It drives me crazy that we can't date carved or cut rock.
I'm not kidding. It would change everything if we could.
We drive a car sized probe around on Mars but we can't date
cut stone? Come on!

Get thread OP!


Well yes physics defeats us at this point, you can try and date the 'varnish' but dating the rocks themselves only shows how old they are not the carving. One way you can date it is if you can find the waste material made from the carving and it is in a stratigraphic context you can use relative dating or if that waste is mixed with organic materials you can do the C-14.

Hopefully Byrd will come by she is an expert on rock art



posted on Sep, 29 2012 @ 03:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Hanslune
 


Awesome find.

I watched a documentary a few years back that discussed how there are quite a few locations that are known to locals but are not protected by the Egyptian authorities because they are so spread out among many isolated and obscure locations.

Who knows how old those others may be?

S & F



posted on Sep, 29 2012 @ 03:16 PM
link   
With more new sites predate Egypt, they need to lure people back to the area.
Those pyramid are old and pale, just like its reputation. Just my 2 cent.



posted on Sep, 29 2012 @ 09:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Hanslune
 


What I find interesting is the majority of this early artwork is animals. Yet once we get further down the road, humans turn introspective and all the art is about them.

Myself, I think this early artwork is cool. Thanks for the find.



posted on Sep, 29 2012 @ 09:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Hanslune
 


15,000 yrs!? oh, B to the S!!
so its antiduleuian yea....before the flood yea....lololol

bro, its no more than 4,000 yrs, and no less than 2,500

honestly, take these dates...forget the 15,000 years
for two reasons

a) scientific - that date is not accurate because of
weathering at different rates
years with drier summers, or wetter winters
makes system of dating innaccurate

b) religious - because there is a gnostic agenda to push pre 10,500 BC {12,500 yrs ago), to prove a pre noah/flood civilisation, antidiluvean. ie. demi gods etc


peace and love
edit on 29-9-2012 by thePharaoh because: (no reason given)



posted on Sep, 29 2012 @ 10:55 PM
link   
reply to post by thePharaoh
 


I see you didn't read the article eh Pharaoh? Go read it and then come back and we'll talk - it explains in the article what the estimated is based on, or you can just deny it without readin' it!

lol



posted on Sep, 29 2012 @ 11:02 PM
link   
I was just watching the Pyramid code series and at 21:52 of the following video is another example of just how much is out there and is not being protected from vandalism.


Watch for a few minutes from 21:52

edit on 29-9-2012 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)



posted on Sep, 29 2012 @ 11:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Hanslune
 


hehe


a guestimate.....and the other dude...2.5miilion years to 10,000....what person gets away with calling themselves a professional and gives you a variance of 2.49 million..lol

those numbers get me sooooo vexed

hansuline....let me guess...your under 2.5 million miles away from me.....im pyschic innit


its 4,000 to 2,500 BC....now send me that guys grant he was awarded...lol

peace



posted on Sep, 30 2012 @ 01:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by thePharaoh
reply to post by Hanslune
 


hehe


a guestimate.....and the other dude...2.5miilion years to 10,000....what person gets away with calling themselves a professional and gives you a variance of 2.49 million..lol



Well your consistant at least you read the article but misunderstood the comment. He didn't estimate it was that old the journalist put in the age range for the period of time he was referring too


hansuline....let me guess...your under 2.5 million miles away from me.....im pyschic innit


Well I hope you are better at 'pyschic' than you are at English comprehension - or are playing dumb?

The guestimate was based on the following fact which you seem to have to be in denial about




There is "little doubt" the engravings are 15,000-years-old, Huyge said. They depict a now extinct species of wild cow whose horns have been recovered from Paleolithic settlements nearby.





its 4,000 to 2,500 BC....now send me that guys grant he was awarded...lol peace


......and where are you getting that guess from?

lol

Edited to add: Pharaoh I've forgotten so I must query again, but are you a YEC?
edit on 30/9/12 by Hanslune because: (no reason given)



posted on Sep, 30 2012 @ 02:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Hanslune
 



are similar in age and style to the iconic Stone Age cave paintings in Lascaux, France, and Altamira, Spain,


So does this mean the same artists traveled back and forth, or was doodling on rocks a geographically disparate occurrence?

Interesting article.



posted on Sep, 30 2012 @ 02:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Hanslune
 


Great work Hanslune. Just another step closer in proving that human civilization is much older than the mainstream claims.

=)



posted on Sep, 30 2012 @ 05:14 AM
link   
reply to post by thePharaoh
 


I know, its fun to try to pick on others, but once you reach the age of 10, you begin to realize that 9 times out of 10 it just makes you look like an incredibly stubborn, braying donkey, pathetically trying to gain a point on a scoreboard that exists nowhere except for in the echoey chambers of the limitless depths of your own ego. Now take a seat, son... Class will begin momentarily.

The archeologist never said anything about hundreds of millions of years. He said "paleolithic era". The person writing or editing the article put that for clarification, letting the readers know that the era of which he spoke, lasted from 125M to 15k years ago.

You owe me nothing, just pay it forward
You're a part of the team now. We are a worldwide organization of people who's only wish is to deflate mankind's collective ego. We believe other problems will be solved as a direct result of this endeavoring of ours. Sign up for our newsletter which includes a comprehensive chart showing mankind's average ego over the past 8 quarters reflecting our new balance and progress, also including future projections and our goals for the 2012 fiscal year.



posted on Sep, 30 2012 @ 06:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Hanslune
 


I'm a little confused...shouldn't we be shocked that it is only 15,000 years old?

Or is this simply to indicate that the area only began to be peopled around 15,000 years ago?

Does it imply that Egypt was peopled by those who had been producing cave art for 25,000 years prior on the European continent? Or that they were influenced by them?

I really don't understand why this should indicate, as some posters have suggested, that this tells us that civilisation is older than we first thought...rather it seems that the Egyptians, by comparison with those in Spain etc, who were stylistically far more advanced than this example would indicate, were quite backward...certainly artistically speaking.




posted on Sep, 30 2012 @ 06:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by thePharaoh
reply to post by Hanslune
 


15,000 yrs!? oh, B to the S!!
so its antiduleuian yea....before the flood yea....lololol

bro, its no more than 4,000 yrs, and no less than 2,500

honestly, take these dates...forget the 15,000 years
for two reasons

a) scientific - that date is not accurate because of
weathering at different rates
years with drier summers, or wetter winters
makes system of dating innaccurate

b) religious - because there is a gnostic agenda to push pre 10,500 BC {12,500 yrs ago), to prove a pre noah/flood civilisation, antidiluvean. ie. demi gods etc


peace and love
edit on 29-9-2012 by thePharaoh because: (no reason given)


Seriously... are you high? O.o



posted on Sep, 30 2012 @ 11:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Cherry0
 


Its the mainstream providing this information!



posted on Sep, 30 2012 @ 11:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Biliverdin
reply to post by Hanslune
 


I'm a little confused...shouldn't we be shocked that it is only 15,000 years old?

Or is this simply to indicate that the area only began to be peopled around 15,000 years ago?

Does it imply that Egypt was peopled by those who had been producing cave art for 25,000 years prior on the European continent? Or that they were influenced by them?

I really don't understand why this should indicate, as some posters have suggested, that this tells us that civilisation is older than we first thought...rather it seems that the Egyptians, by comparison with those in Spain etc, who were stylistically far more advanced than this example would indicate, were quite backward...certainly artistically speaking.



I believe they are saying that the art is similar to that produced in Europe, ie despictions of animals - but without detailed images that not possible to determine.

This type of art shows that their was a culture there - but then we already knew that this just adds more information to the pot.

The art probably dates back to the Late Paleolithic in Egypt which started around 30,000 BC, the culture/industry responsible might have been the Wadi Halfa, perhaps the Aterian or if it is much older the Khormusan.

We'll have to wait until a book/website/Pdf is produced that shows more of the art itself



posted on Sep, 30 2012 @ 11:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by FraternitasSaturni

Seriously... are you high? O.o


No just that person known to all as 'THE PHARAOH', doing that which the pharaoh does, lol



posted on Sep, 30 2012 @ 11:58 AM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69
 


I love this series! I would like to get it on DVD because I watch it often on Netflix.



Hanslune, cool thread! I'm gonna read the linked sites before I comment. I love to think of what has been undiscovered across the world esp in Egypt's desert. The Sphinx was found buried to it's neck and now look at it. What else is out there! Love new finds!





top topics
 
28
<<   2  3 >>

log in

join