It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why is there a shadow of a "person" in this Mars rover image?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 29 2012 @ 11:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrptr
reply to post by Guyfriday

Odd? The shadow looks like a person choking a pig

I thought the pig part looked more like a gallon jug of wine. The Person with a head of hair and a backpack on is reaching for it because they been up there for months now and ran out a long time ago. The mistake is that that dude isn't wearing any helmet.

It could be a Hill-Billy Martian downing a bottle of XXX.

posted on Sep, 29 2012 @ 11:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by 4chi11e
marsmobile.jpl.nasa.gov...

Look again

That convinced me, the shadow in question is part of the rover not a person.

Look at the rocks around what looks like the hair shadow of the picture in question.
Zoom in, and you can see how the rocks shape and shadows create the illusion of hair.

The light in between the hair that is sticking up is not the same brightness as the surrounding light.

The arm and jug looking shadow is seen from the quoted link. marsmobile.jpl.nasa.gov...

I'm Not a big NASA believer, I even started a thread questioning the first pics from Curiosity. Sorry, this one looks legit to me.

edit on 30-9-2012 by Observationalist because: Clarity

edit on 30-9-2012 by Observationalist because: (no reason given)

edit on 30-9-2012 by Observationalist because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 29 2012 @ 11:52 PM
link   
Kind of looks like Tupac Shakur ! Who knows right?

posted on Sep, 29 2012 @ 11:57 PM
link   
Wouldn't that have to be a pretty small person?

So if it is all made up. Looks like they fake the pictures at the JPL. This is a non functioning model; I don't know what purpose the background and rocks serve. It doesn't look like they're setting an exhibit up or anything and the only NASA Curiosity promotional materials I;ve found are all computer generated pictures.

posted on Sep, 30 2012 @ 12:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Guyfriday

Originally posted by intrptr
reply to post by Guyfriday

Odd? The shadow looks like a person choking a pig

I thought the pig part looked more like a gallon jug of wine. The Person with a head of hair and a backpack on is reaching for it because they been up there for months now and ran out a long time ago. The mistake is that that dude isn't wearing any helmet.

It could be a Hill-Billy Martian downing a bottle of XXX.

Yah. Pretty dry up there. They couldn't wait for the light to fade and grab it later. The cameras have motion sensors right? So although they thought they were out of frame, they forgot about their shadow. And this pic got past the sensors too...

posted on Sep, 30 2012 @ 12:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Observationalist

Originally posted by 4chi11e
marsmobile.jpl.nasa.gov...

Look again

That convinced me. Not a person.
Yep, thread debunked I'm afraid. That is conclusive proof the shadow was caused by the rover and not a person.

posted on Sep, 30 2012 @ 02:09 AM
link   
Far from conclusive. We will be seeing far more pictures than this that will have us all scratching our heads.

If NASA wouldn't have photoshopped (many times VERY poorly with Microsoft Paint) so many images and gotten caught so many times....they'd have some creditability.

This doesn't appear to be a part of the rover. I'd say they goofed up again.
edit on 30-9-2012 by Pervius because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2012 @ 02:28 AM
link   
Looked at the image, looked at the OP comments and instantly thought :

If its somebody cleaning the Rover it is on earth in that case WHY WEAR A SPACESUIT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So by pure simple brain switched on logic it is not a person it is an ink blot test and the psychologists would love to get hold of everyone thinking its a person.

posted on Sep, 30 2012 @ 02:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by yorkshirelad
Looked at the image, looked at the OP comments and instantly thought :

If its somebody cleaning the Rover it is on earth in that case WHY WEAR A SPACESUIT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There are many rumors about anti-gravitic craft, which would mean men could be on Mars. Not that it's true, but it's a possibility. But this image has been debunked IMO, the photo posted by 4chi11e is pretty much the death blow.

posted on Sep, 30 2012 @ 03:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Wlarnett

looks more like a sideways demi john to me if itwas a man trying to scare nasa wouldnt he star jump or do the moonwalk in the front ?

posted on Sep, 30 2012 @ 03:26 AM
link   
I don't see a person at all. Looks mechanical to me.

posted on Sep, 30 2012 @ 03:58 AM
link   
"Why is there a... ?"
Because we're looking at the projected shadow of an abstract arrangement of a complex three dimensional object onto a 2-dimensional plane (being the ground) and our brains have turned the abstract visual information into a pattern we can relate to - combined with the dominant group-think paridigm of this social group that anything done or claimed to be done by NASA is a ruse to keep from the general public something much more intriguing and interesting, if not outright malicious.

simple answer - shadow puppets and peer-group conformity.

posted on Sep, 30 2012 @ 04:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Pervius
Far from conclusive. We will be seeing far more pictures than this that will have us all scratching our heads.

If NASA wouldn't have photoshopped (many times VERY poorly with Microsoft Paint) so many images and gotten caught so many times....they'd have some creditability.

This doesn't appear to be a part of the rover. I'd say they goofed up again.
edit on 30-9-2012 by Pervius because: (no reason given)

Hi, I'm curious as to what scenario you think requires NASA to be photshopping pictures - is it that they never left earth and are faking the whole expedition (if so what's your theory as to why they would do that?), or is it that the mission to mars is happening, but they are editing out evidence of something on mars they don't want the public to see? If the latter do you think it is evidence of alien activity, or evidence of our own secret human presence on mars?
Presumably you think the last scenario and it is actually taken from mars, as the proposed person is wearing an environment suit, and you say they goofed up again, meaning they forgot to edit him out?
You say far from conclusive. Does this mean you don't think this photo

shows anything which could be causing the shadow, and it must be a seperate object (ie, a person in a spacesuit, on mars, who is not supposed to be seen by us but got caught by an oversight of those in charge of releasing photos to the public)?
Thanks.
edit on 30-9-2012 by delusion because: (no reason given)

edit on 30-9-2012 by delusion because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2012 @ 04:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by sarra1833
There was another article which said this:

"Something (or somebody??) has been regularly cleaning the Mars rover Opportunity's solar panels during the night, enabling the device to continue to work much better and longer.

NASA rover team leader Jim Erickson has said that the unexplained cleaning events have kept Opportunity's solar panels operating close to their maximum daily output of 900 watt-hours. Due to a previous accumulation of Martian dust, which is heavy and dense, output had dropped to 500 watt-hours per day.

The output of Mars Spirit's solar panels, which are not getting cleaned, have dropped to 400 watt-hours per day.

NASA has no explanation for the cleaning till this day ..."

www.ufo-blogger.com...

and here is the actual source too
www.msnbc.msn.com...-eIo
edit on 29-9-2012 by sarra1833 because: (no reason given)

Very relevant sources you have provided, whether or not they were on older rover expeditions. How was the opportunity rover getting cleaned? It will be interesting to see if it will be the same case with the curiosity rover in the coming months.
edit on 30-9-2012 by Rubicant13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2012 @ 06:10 AM
link   
Geez, seems no matter how far from the city you get you just cant escape someone trying to wash your windows (or cameras in this case) for a buck or two... Who knew the economy was this bad throughout the entire solar system!

posted on Sep, 30 2012 @ 06:26 AM
link   
In my opinion, debunked...........here's a little image I just made, seems to fit don't you think?

EDIT:

Actually, I think I may have matched up the wrong parts, but I still think it is of the same piece, just the arm folded up.
edit on 30/9/12 by woogleuk because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2012 @ 07:14 AM
link   
If rover would be stationary then i would think there is something, but its not.. moves and turns and also cameras turns so just different shadow from another camera angle.

We tend to see human forms on anything clouds, rocks, shadows its just a trick brains do.

posted on Sep, 30 2012 @ 07:44 AM
link   
Stephen Hannard's YT videos are hilarious, one of the funniest channels out there. Disappointing to find that it has prompted an actual discussion, this should be in the jokes forum.

posted on Sep, 30 2012 @ 07:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by GArnold

This is very very odd..

I have been looking at this for about a hour and honestly cannot think of any answer for this image.

Does anyone have any explanation?

www.ufo-blogger.com...
edit on 29-9-2012 by GArnold because: (no reason given)

Looks to me like a shadow of rover parts. I don't see the shadow of a person there. I guess people see what they want to see, kinda like cloud pictures.

CX

posted on Sep, 30 2012 @ 08:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ramcheck
Disappointing to find that it has prompted an actual discussion, this should be in the jokes forum.

It's always good to question things though, even if it turns out to be wrong.

Imagine if we were all so closed minded to believe every single picture and story that various agencies feed us?

Now that would be disappointing.

CX.
edit on 30/9/12 by CX because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join