It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Virginia man kills family and himself over fear Obama would be re-elected

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 29 2012 @ 11:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dustytoad
My thoughts are that if the Obama being elected again part were true he would have waited till November to kill himself right?
Ya know, just in case Romney wins?

No no I think it had more to do with family/mental problems.

I agree.... It would hold more credibility if he did it on election day after Obama won. Many of you bash Fox News etc, but you can't even see that YOU are spinning it in your own little political direction too.

It's got to be Fox News not something else....something like how his life might have been effected these last four years. I love how the article suggests "he has money and a good life", that little statement prevents the old...he been out of work for three years and just can't take it anymore....I love how these things are spun...

Maybe he is up to his neck in bills and was about to lose his house and all....would not that be more of what reality is like today?

edit on 29-9-2012 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 29 2012 @ 11:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan

Originally posted by Grimpachi
To me this is a direct result of the irresponsible fear monger journalism ..

To me this is a direct result of a mental health disorder on the part of the shooter.
Seriously ... no one with a stable mental health is going to kill himself and his family
over news reporting.

Gonna go with what this dude said.
This is a case of simple mental disorder...

Poor family. Pity this guy didn't get help.
I have a lot of neocon family members...and many of them are excibiting symptoms of general craziness now...talking about how they will kill themselves of O is reelected and all sorts. At what point do you go from a person simply blowing off steam, to the person needs help...hard to figure the line out.

Just keep telling these people that Politics is not a religion. Romney isn't meant to win anyhow, this whole song and dance was to make Ryan a superstar, not to actually elect their least favorite front runner.
Sometimes they calm down upon hearing this...it clicks and makes sense to them.

posted on Sep, 29 2012 @ 11:13 AM
link   
Maybe he knew something the rest of us didn't.

I feel for the family regardless of the reason.
edit on 29-9-2012 by beezzer because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 29 2012 @ 11:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Alternative4u

I agree that most sane people do not act on irresponsible news reporting but the idea that they contribute is false here is a case and point.

The Effects of Irrespocible News Reporting

Sean Hannity: "If Obama Is Re-Elected, It's The End Time In America As We Know It"
Sean Hannity: "If Obama is Re-Elected'Its The End Time In America As We Know It"

The idea that irresponsible news reporting does not affect people I would say is false but I guess yelling fire in a movie theater doesn’t cause harm either.

I know it’s not the only factor in this case but do you really think it has nothing to do with it?

When the media that people trust to deliver accurate and honest news to you don't it can and has resulted in tragedy.
edit on 29-9-2012 by Grimpachi because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 29 2012 @ 11:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Grimpachi

Really?
It wasn't mental illness?

posted on Sep, 29 2012 @ 11:25 AM
link   
It doesn't surprise me people in this thread so far has turned this into a right- left battle....

It doesn't surprise me that some people in here blame it on health-care/ therapy...----lmao@ that one.

It doesn't surprise me that people are not taking responsibility....

It also doesn't surprise me that people look at this guy as a victim...

posted on Sep, 29 2012 @ 11:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by tracehd1
It doesn't surprise me people in this thread so far has turned this into a right- left battle....

It doesn't surprise me that some people in here blame it on health-care/ therapy...----lmao@ that one.

It doesn't surprise me that people are not taking responsibility....

It also doesn't surprise me that people look at this guy as a victim...
It surprises me , that you weren't surprised.

I bet his family was.

posted on Sep, 29 2012 @ 11:46 AM
link   
Do you know how many people think that Hannity, O’Reilly, and even when he was on Glenn Beck are factual reporting and are telling the truth. Many many people do not realize that they are part of the spin side of Fox. I am sure they’re still people that Rush is telling the truth as well.

Do not underestimate the ignorance of their target group. This man obviously had mental issues but to think he was not influenced by media…well you can believe what you want.

edit on 29-9-2012 by Grimpachi because: add and refrase

posted on Sep, 29 2012 @ 11:47 AM
link   

reply to post by SassyCass

I stated in the OP he had mental problems but I don’t think you realize the things the right wing media broadcast. If I only listened to them I would think the world is coming to an end because of Obamas administration.

It's no worse than the Left Wing drivel. You'd think Obama was the greatest thing since the invention of the wheel if you only watched NBC/MSNBC

The guy obviously had some issues. Something would've set him off eventually.

posted on Sep, 29 2012 @ 12:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xtrozero

Originally posted by Dustytoad
My thoughts are that if the Obama being elected again part were true he would have waited till November to kill himself right?
Ya know, just in case Romney wins?

No no I think it had more to do with family/mental problems.

I agree.... It would hold more credibility if he did it on election day after Obama won. Many of you bash Fox News etc, but you can't even see that YOU are spinning it in your own little political direction too.

It's got to be Fox News not something else....something like how his life might have been effected these last four years. I love how the article suggests "he has money and a good life", that little statement prevents the old...he been out of work for three years and just can't take it anymore....I love how these things are spun...

Maybe he is up to his neck in bills and was about to lose his house and all....would not that be more of what reality is like today?

edit on 29-9-2012 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

The only way that what you are saying would be true is if you expect me to believe that everyone knows that Foxes Fair and Balanced narrative is false and just a catch phrase.

I even have a family member that thinks that Fox couldn’t say that unless it is true.

posted on Sep, 29 2012 @ 12:08 PM
link   
For the record, in my opinion blaming any one aspect of the media might be superfluous when compared to the simple fact of absolute and total media inundation of our society. We are literally blasted, 24/7/365 with streams of sound, sight, and data that largely rely upon shock and fear propagation as a means of attracting ratings.

While it's true that people can turn off or tune out, increasingly, I think, people are failing to do an adequate job of this. Example? Man the news is really bumming me out tonight. I think I'll go surf the net..." Quite literally out of the frying pan and into the fire

Media is designed to deliberately manipulate our emotions. Constant stimulation of negative emotion and fear has to have an effect upon the psyche. I'm not sure if any studies are published are not, regarding this notion. But I have a gut feeling they'd support my hypothesis.

In short, it may not be the source of the information that led this man into hysterical behavior - but, rather, the amount he was exposed to over an extended period of time. The fact that he happened to fixate upon Obama, IMO, is simply an accident of his personal predispositions prior to this episode and whatever may have triggered it.

Couple that kind of mental monkey-wrenching with a bad economy and increased life pressures all around? It's a recipe for snapping.

~Heff
edit on 9/29/12 by Hefficide because: Yup two major typos... it's bed time.

posted on Sep, 29 2012 @ 12:09 PM
link   
Someone kills themselves Fox News gets blamed.

Hmmm to me that makes them as bad as msm they are deriding.

posted on Sep, 29 2012 @ 12:12 PM
link   

A Virginia man allegedly killed himself and his family earlier this week in part because he was upset by the thought of President Barack Obama being re-elected.

“They were very well off people and they saved a lot of money,” she said about the Petersons. “He couldn’t understand how the government could be so irresponsible and he thought it would be on the backs of his boys.”

To me this is a direct result of the irresponsible fear monger journalism that is constantly being broadcast by the likes of Fox news, Hannity, Rush, and others where the whole story is almost never told. The man obviously had mental problems but people trust the news especially when they tout that they are Fair and Balanced when in actuality it is far from the truth. You would be surprised just how many people believe the propaganda they are being fed. This is indeed a tragedy.

source

a tragedy? and somehow you don't think right-wing media fear-mongering had anything to do with this...also that the right-wing fear mongering over abortion had anything to do with killing abortion doctors...and the right-wing media fear-mongering over homosexuals had anything to do with killing gays. and the right-wing fear-mongering over people that wear turbans had anything to do with the killing of indian sikhs.....

a pattern of death surrounds right-wing ideology...and THAT'S THE TRAGEDY

posted on Sep, 29 2012 @ 12:18 PM
link   
Wow this is stooping pretty low...

Blaming other people for this nut jobs homicidal acts is absurd.

How do you really prove that now that everyone is dead.

Stop trying to play politics with such a tragedy its pretty sick.

posted on Sep, 29 2012 @ 12:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96
Someone kills themselves Fox News gets blamed.

Hmmm to me that makes them as bad as msm they are deriding.

I think the OP is actually Obama in disguise, he is very good at blaming things on others.
ITS BUSH'S FAULT!!!

posted on Sep, 29 2012 @ 12:31 PM
link   

reply to post by SassyCass

I stated in the OP he had mental problems but I don’t think you realize the things the right wing media broadcast. If I only listened to them I would think the world is coming to an end because of Obamas administration.

No one knows "what" the man listened to. No one knows "why" he took his family's life along with his own. They couldn't ask him, now could they.

To suggest and place blame on "one" network or their reporters is absurd. "ALL" the networks/media are not always truthful in their reporting.

He had a history of mental illness. Period.

posted on Sep, 29 2012 @ 01:52 PM
link   
Actually I am Veteran, gun loving, white, Independent voter. I had hoped Jon Huntsman was going to win the primary because I would have voted for him.

I think Obama failed in many ways so if I represent even a small portion of the independent vote which I actually represent quite a bit more, then your candidate doesn’t stand a chance.

Somehow I am considered Obama in disguise
because I am upset about the right wing media spewing crap all the time spreading fear and doom then what does that say about you?

For people who think that the media does not influence people then you need to take a step back and think hard about that for a second because you are having a mental malfunction at the moment.

The news is supposed to report not shape your opinion and I agree all sides do it but the right wing media is by far the worst abuser in this field.

posted on Sep, 29 2012 @ 02:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
no one with a stable mental health is going to kill himself and his family
over news reporting.

Well, technically, that would be true.. if any of the cable news networks did any, y'know, news reporting. I'll hold Fox News as worse above the others, if even only slightly, because they have created as a previous poster said this bizarre ultra-right wing echo chamber. Die-hard Fox News viewers tend to let their extreme political views color every aspect of their lives.

Mr. Murdoch, you now officially have a young family's blood on your wrinkly old skeleton hands.

And don't give me the crap about how there is no evidence this fella watched Fox News. Where do you think he got it into his head that an Obama re-election = America Over? MSNBC's typical line of BS tends to lean in the other direction. The guy was wealthy, a businessman, a defense contractor. If, indeed, he watched cable news - and lets face it, in this day and age? He probably did. They flock to their cable news stations, these slaves to the American political machine.

Romney, Obama? Two sides of the same coin. It's just such a bleeding shame that so many people are too stupid to see it. The difference is, I think, that the 'left' in America are still pretty much behind their guy. But Romney is, well, Romney. I'm sure the ABO (Anyone But Obama) crowd will be lining up to vote Romney, but I doubt in a big way if that's going to win this side of the coin the election over the other side.
edit on 29-9-2012 by Monger because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 29 2012 @ 03:50 PM
link   
I remembered an earlier thread by AnteBellum where Blackbird Technologies was mentioned and sure enough it was about this very murder/suicide (if that was indeed what it was).
Smile! Air Force Wants to Track You Forever With a Single Camera Click and more

Looking over this article virginia-man-kills-family-and-himself-over-fear-obama-would-be-re-elected I came across the following quote of interest:

Explaining his increasingly erratic behavior, she said: 'He said he wanted to expose something at work. He also got the impression at work, that if they didn't vote for Obama and get him elected, they would lose their jobs,'

It seems the company he worked for, Blackbird Technologies, was involved in top-secret weapons development for the DOD

Scents that make you trackable, indoors and out. Nanocrystals that stick to your body, and light up on night-vision goggles. Miniradar that maps your location on Google Earth. You can run, but you'll learn it's hard to hide from a new range of military tech. The Defense Department calls it “tagging, tracking and locating,” The military has spent a hefty chunk of change on TTL tech: $450 million has gone to a single company, Blackbird Technologies of Herndon, Virginia, which has emerged as the leader in this covert field.
- www.wired.com...

I doubt the stated reasons for this tragedy are truly the case here. Perhaps he talked or they were afraid he had spoken to his family about something very sensitive to the government. I doubt we'll ever learn any more about this and I predict this story will get buried even by the DC area local news.
edit on 29-9-2012 by Asktheanimals because: corrections

posted on Sep, 29 2012 @ 04:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Grimpachi

world is coming to an end

The world as we know it is coming to an end, it is not because of 2012 but due to the social and economical situation. The consequent quantitative easing have already put the burden of your debt in a continues devaluation of the dollar (whatever happens). As soon as the dollar loses its reserve currency status, the inflation in the US will be abysmal. I certain some mitigation strategies could be implemented but they haven't and are not part of the discussion topics, even the current debt is only referred sporadically and as a weapon in a fake party duality...

Exploiting a tragic action for political gain is always deplorable, unless that is a direct result of political action. In this case it clearly is not...

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join