It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Need Help With Pic File Info ASAP

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 16 2004 @ 06:22 PM
link   
Can anyone tell me if I pull a pic off the web and save it to my hard drive, is there hidden info somewhere that identifies where it came from?

I have looked at the properties and see nothing, it is saved as an untitled bitmap.

If there is info somewhere to identify the website it came from can someone tell me how to see it?

I'd really apreciate it if anyone can tell me anything cause I got a little personal mystery/situation on my hands at the moment and I am wondering if sending the pic to someone caused it. (Don't get excited, it's not ATS worthy stuff, just something I need to get to the bottom of quickly.)

Thanks!

posted on Oct, 16 2004 @ 06:35 PM
link   
No, they could not know about it from the picture itself. Of course, e-mail can be traced back to the source. But, not the picture.

posted on Oct, 16 2004 @ 06:36 PM
link   
If you�re really worried about it just open the image, press �Print Screen� on your keyboard, paste the image into an editing program and crop the image so the original is the only thing left.

posted on Oct, 16 2004 @ 06:42 PM
link   
Thanks JCM.

If you are certain, well, mystery not solved but at least I know who isn't the culprit - lol.

King - it was a pic I already sent in an msn chat, but the pic was saved first to my desktop before I sent it, so I just wanted to make sure that there wasn't some hidden identifier on it I didn't know about.

Thanks!

posted on Oct, 17 2004 @ 08:14 AM
link   
There is something called "watermark" from a company called Digimarc.
Photoshop and Paint Shop Pro use this, so you can put an invisible signature in a picture, and anyone with compatible software can search the picture for a "watermark". If it finds one, it shows the information that was hidden in the picture, usually the copyright owner and such.

There are also free programs that let you hide information inside pictures, but this method and the Digimarc method usually do not survive if you change the picture, like resizing, blurring, etc., but if when the Digimarc was applied it was made more resistant, this can survive some editing of the image.

top topics

join