It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Give it all up for 24 hours...If you dare!

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 04:00 PM
link   
reply to post by 3Dplus

Thanks looks fun we must try this!

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 04:04 PM
link   
Oh, we do this once a month, have done for some time. Fridge/Freezer and stove are the only things allowed to be left on or turned on on our "escape from electronics" days. No phones, tv, internet, cell phones, electric light. We play board games by candlelight in the winter and have a roaring fire going on cold nights.

We shut down computers etc as well though, a truly "electronic escape" night once a month.

We're thinking of changing it to once a week.
edit on 2-10-2012 by babybunnies because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 04:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by penninja
This is a great idea.

Just turned out all the lights and everything and it's dark as heck in here.

Kind of nice but sorta creepy because the shadows are flickring because of the screen light

Like the shadows are moving

Almost like Shadow People coming at me frosruykldvm,.x ik

rtf
f
dhjjjjjjjjylil

But you left the computer running?

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 04:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Advantage

Oh we are well aware of the dangers of what may happen when people come a knocking. We are somewhat prepared for that as well. We just thought it was time to start getting the kids ready too.

First- we live in a very good location. Second -we know all our neighbors pretty well even though one we are not too friendly with. He could be our biggest issue! Third- we have spoken to our older children about the what ifs'. Fourth -We don't advertise what we do. Where we are located, most cannot see us anyways. Fifth- the older children and my husband and I know how to use our 'various protection devices' and clean, reload and sharpen them. Finally no one who comes here will come on our property because of the dogs! Shepherds and they have the run of the whole property which is entirely fenced. There is no door to walk up to and knock on without opening one main gate which has its own levels of entry notification.

Like I said we are into hunting, fishing, camping, hiking, and mountain biking so being out in nature is nothing new.

All that and the usually basics and family needs and tradable we are still always trying to improve and learn more. It is never done.

This exercise was a realization between me and my husband to start getting the kiddos more involved and thinking. We realized one thing lacking was working on their skills to help around and survive if the worst should happen. Just one more loophole we are trying to work on.

Peace Restless

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 04:28 PM
link   
reply to post by babybunnies

Awesome! I think this needs to become a more regular thing around here as well.

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 04:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by restlessinMT

Oh we are well aware of the dangers of what may happen when people come a knocking. We are somewhat prepared for that as well. We just thought it was time to start getting the kids ready too.

First- we live in a very good location. Second -we know all our neighbors pretty well even though one we are not too friendly with. He could be our biggest issue! Third- we have spoken to our older children about the what ifs'. Fourth -We don't advertise what we do. Where we are located, most cannot see us anyways. Fifth- the older children and my husband and I know how to use our 'various protection devices' and clean, reload and sharpen them. Finally no one who comes here will come on our property because of the dogs! Shepherds and they have the run of the whole property which is entirely fenced. There is no door to walk up to and knock on without opening one main gate which has its own levels of entry notification.

Like I said we are into hunting, fishing, camping, hiking, and mountain biking so being out in nature is nothing new.

All that and the usually basics and family needs and tradable we are still always trying to improve and learn more. It is never done.

This exercise was a realization between me and my husband to start getting the kiddos more involved and thinking. We realized one thing lacking was working on their skills to help around and survive if the worst should happen. Just one more loophole we are trying to work on.

Peace Restless

You need help, urgently. You are living in a paranoid dystopia of your own making and you are dragging your children into it.

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 04:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by restlessinMT

Peace Restless

Just an FYI.. I live in a very good location. Gated neighborhood of historic homes. Crime has a funny way of not caring about what location you are in.

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 04:54 PM
link   
reply to post by PW229

Really am I? I guess I have no idea what the hell I am doing. I guess the next time a tornado comes ripping through my town I should just hope for luck. The next time the power goes out during a thunder or winter storm I should just let my kids freeze and starve or going looking for handouts from others.

I guess l should stop canning, hunting, fishing, and gardening among other useful skills I should plop my butt in front of the tube and watch The Voice or some other dribble.

I guess my kids don't need any life skills so they can become useless trolls on the computer all the time never really living or helping themselves or others to grow.

I guess my husband could quit working and we could get on welfare and suck of other peoples hard work. What ever disaster or emergency that comes in the near future or years down the road I should teach my children to rely on others. FEMA or the government will help us.

I don't think so. I feel sorry for you my friend. Really sorry for you.

Loves Restless

edit on 10/2/2012 by restlessinMT because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 04:56 PM
link   

This is not a gated neighborhood nor is anything but average! Home was built in 1962 and has the ugliest siding you ever saw.

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 05:32 AM
link   
I typically call this camping. I find a good place to hike and then set up camp somewhere in the back without a tent. I bring one day of food and water, and if I want anything else, I have to work for it. While camping, even though I carry my full survival gear, I use natural means to start fires which can take hours since I tend to experiment a lot. I do get better, but the idea is that while I may have the gear and resources to survive, should I use it immediately in a real survival situation? The answer is no. You use your resources when it's necessary to do so, otherwise you might find yourself trapped under a week-long rainfall and not be able to do a single thing about food, heat or shelter.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join