It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. Move to Give Egypt $450 Million in Aid Meets Resistance

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 07:56 PM
link   

U.S. Move to Give Egypt $450 Million in Aid Meets Resistance

The Obama administration notified Congress on Friday that it intends to give Egypt’s new government an emergency cash infusion of $450 million, but the move immediately encountered resistance from lawmakers wary of foreign aid in general and of Egypt’s new course under the leadership of the Muslim Brotherhood.

The aid is part of $1 billion in assistance that the Obama administration has pledged to Egypt to bolster its economy and its transition to democracy following the overthrow last year of Hosni Mubarak, the country’s autocratic president.

www.nytimes.com...

That is damn right infuriating amid the rumors that the Cairo protests were all about getting the blind sheik released, and not the lie about that anti Islam film,

That better get shot down and shot down via a super majority enough cash has gone to people who would rather kills than look at us.

The conspiracy theorist in me(not much of one) would see this as a pay off for the protests to take heat of Obama for the economy.

Don't care if your right or left but the foreign aid going to all those people should be stopped. For crying outloud we are financing their Jihad agianst us,.

Anyone else see that?

How stupid is that?

Meh

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 08:03 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

This news is anger making. The USA has no business giving another country any money; we need to stop giving out money to other countries; when we are in so much debt. I know people need help; but we just don't have it to give right now! There are many right here in the United States that need help.

Why don't the wealthy people in Egypt help their own.

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 08:06 PM
link   
Maybe Egypt should start selling off some ancient artifacts for quick cash.

The US has better things to spend their money on.

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 08:09 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

Must be a Blue Moon Tonight, because I almost agree with you.

Lets stop ALL Foreign Aid, to ALL countries, even Blue and White Flagged Countries.

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 08:11 PM
link   
reply to post by caladonea

They have a new regime which President Obama promised to make overnight millionaires( speculating...just like our stock brokers).

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 08:16 PM
link   
450 million is about 1/3rd the aid we give Egypt yearly, over the past 10 years.

Obama 2010 - 1,550 Million
Obama 2009 - 1,500
Bush 2008 - 1,701
Bush 2007 - 1,758
Bush 2006 - 1,795
Bush 2005 - 1,819
Bush 2004 - 1,863
Bush 2003 - 1,915
Bush 2002 - 2,075
Bush 2001 - 1,990

Oddly enough, aid to Egypt decreased after Obama came into office.

Compared to US aid to Israel:

Obama 2010 - 3,175 Million
Obama 2009 - 3,331
Bush 2008 - 2,770
Bush 2007 - 2,460
Bush 2006 - 2,520
Bush 2005 - 2,985
Bush 2004 - 2,624
Bush 2003 - 2,700
Bush 2002 - 3,120
Bush 2001 - 2,813

(United States Foreign Aid Summary Chart)

The numbers defy the usual right-wing rhetoric that Obama doesn't support Israel or that aid to Egypt is something new or suspect. Aid to Israel is up after Obama, aid to Egypt is down after Obama. Aid to Egypt now can either secure a smoother transition with cooperation with the US, or we can write them off and let them turn fall into a secular Islamic state. Personally, I say end ALL aid, that would certainly end Pax Americana.

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 08:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Blackmarketeer

Geezus was this thread about freaking Isreal?

Do people not have any idea of what "Cutting all foreign aid means"

Pretty self explanatory what this means:

Don't care if your right or left but the foreign aid going to all those people should be stopped.

Key word ALL

Not going to stand for a thread hijack
edit on 28-9-2012 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 08:29 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

Eh, I hate to be a party pooper, but where is Gobombanation going to get the $450 million ????

2nd line

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 08:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by caladonea
reply to post by neo96

This news is anger making. The USA has no business giving another country any money; we need to stop giving out money to other countries; when we are in so much debt. I know people need help; but we just don't have it to give right now! There are many right here in the United States that need help.

Why don't the wealthy people in Egypt help their own.

I would agree. We should stop foreign aid alltogether.

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 08:57 PM
link   
I'd say he's trying to prop up the new government because maybe he helped put it there.

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 08:59 PM
link   
I wouldn't give them a damn thing.
They can hate us for free.

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 09:04 PM
link   

Didn't you get the memo? Foreign aid is only acceptable so long as there's an American loving tyrant in power. The moment the people of those nations demand some representation in their own government it's a big no-no to offer them assistance of any kind. The past decade has led to this unspoken belief that America is at war with Islam rather than terror...so of course if the Egyptian people elect an outspoke muslim it's suddenly bad for America to continue the foreign loans we've been giving for decades.

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 11:00 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

Whine all you want, but in 2002 Bush gave over $2 billion in aid to Egypt (probably in exchange for all those black-ops 'rendition' prisons for the CIA). Now with the country undergoing a crisis and the first change in government in 40 years, you want to cry about 450 million in aid?

The only reason we were giving them billions and billions in aid in the past was as a bribe to make them play nice with Israel. Israel and Egypt had a 'special' relationship - based on dollars from the US taxpayer. We bribe Egypt with billions in aid every year, and they don't let Palestinians cross the border, or anyone else Israel doesn't like. But now those evil "Islamists" are in charge, aid to Egypt is deemed taboo, overnight - at a time when the country needs it more than ever.

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 11:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blackmarketeer
reply to post by neo96

Whine all you want, but in 2002 Bush gave over $2 billion in aid to Egypt (probably in exchange for all those black-ops 'rendition' prisons for the CIA). Now with the country undergoing a crisis and the first change in government in 40 years, you want to cry about 450 million in aid?

The only reason we were giving them billions and billions in aid in the past was as a bribe to make them play nice with Israel. Israel and Egypt had a 'special' relationship - based on dollars from the US taxpayer. We bribe Egypt with billions in aid every year, and they don't let Palestinians cross the border, or anyone else Israel doesn't like. But now those evil "Islamists" are in charge, aid to Egypt is deemed taboo, overnight - at a time when the country needs it more than ever.

So, based on what you say, we should end aid.

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 11:09 PM
link   

This thread aint about Bush either damn.

For crying out loud this is about ending foreign aid maybe some people need to stop whining about Bush for once.

Guess that really is too much to ask

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 11:15 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

Some people can't help themselves. They've been self programed to lay blame for so long it just spews out no matter what the topic is.

Cut all Aid.

Bring the troops home and focus on repairing the Republic.

edit on 28-9-2012 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

link   
I agree Neo, no aid should be given to Egypt at all for any reason. Foreign aid is a bad idea all around as it gives the perception that the US is buying their way into the relationship between nations.

I'd rather see that money go towards American people with needs, rather than an attempt to manipulate foreign governments.

link   

Originally posted by neo96

This thread aint about Bush either damn.

For crying out loud this is about ending foreign aid maybe some people need to stop whining about Bush for once.

Guess that really is too much to ask

'Cause Bush is the Devil, didn't you get the memo?

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 11:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69
reply to post by neo96

Some people can't help themselves. They've been self programed to lay blame for so long it just spews out no matter what the topic is.

Cut all Aid.

Bring the troops home and focus on repairing the Republic.

edit on 28-9-2012 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

Works for me

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 11:45 PM
link   
US aid to Egypt is nothing new. The Republicans in Congress are only making this an issue because it's an election year. Back when they were in charge they gave a LOT more to Egypt. I would suggest that it was the AIPAC faction in Congress that are making the biggest stink about this, as they have been hyping up FUD over the "Muslim Brotherhood" ever since the Arab Spring. Mubarak was their boy, bought and paid for with all that former aid money. Must be feeling gypped with him getting booted and now they got to start over from scratch. Too bad.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join