It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

2013 is gunna be an exciting year for cosmological phenomenon *Brightest comet in human history?*

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 12:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by ubeenhad

Originally posted by wmd_2008

Crazy they just now found it.
Its brightness magnitude is expected to be -16. In comparison, the sun has a magnitude of -26, and Comet Hale-Bopp was magnitude -1

Why is it crazy they just found it care to explain your logic on that

Because a large portion of the objects in the oort cloud is cataloged and tracked, just for this reason.
It's also rare that we get such a big, close comet thats gunna make its first pass close to the sun.

I think you may be getting confused with the asteroid belt. Even in the Kuiper belt very little is catalogued and tracked. No objects in the Oort cloud have been observed or tracked as it begins a vast distance away... Well on the way to Proxima Centauri in fact! Bearing in mind that comets are very small and dark, there is no way of detecting them until they move well into the Solar System and begin to reflect the Sun's light.

Here's a great article... It may be a Wiki page, but it's well written and well referenced...

Oort Cloud

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 08:56 AM
link   

Its brightness magnitude is expected to be -16. In comparison, the sun has a magnitude of -26, and Comet Hale-Bopp was magnitude -1

Because a large portion of the objects in the oort cloud is cataloged and tracked, just for this reason.
It's also rare that we get such a big, close comet thats gunna make its first pass close to the sun.

You have got your facts a little bit wrong

We have seen comets in the last few years that man may never see again!

For example in 1975/76 Comet West

Comet West also the longest orbital comet with an estimated period of 559,000 years.

There is no way we would have known about that since it's previous visit was 559,000 years ago!

edit on 5-10-2012 by wmd_2008 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 01:38 PM
link   

You have got your facts a little bit wrong

We have seen comets in the last few years that man may never see again!

For example in 1975/76 Comet West

Comet West also the longest orbital comet with an estimated period of 559,000 years.

There is no way we would have known about that since it's previous visit was 559,000 years ago!

My bad, I should have been more specific. Objects leaving the oort cloud are cataloged. And its not like it was in the oort cloud when they detected it

I don't understand the initial objections.

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 06:12 AM
link   

The new comet, named C/2012 S1 (ISON) was found by the International Scientific Optical Network (ISON) in Russia on 21 September...

The same network that discovered Elenin, also discovered by the Russians. They must be on a comet hunt.

S1 ISON
SI ISON
S II SON
S 2 SON
S TWO SON
SECOND SUN

May as well get the party started, if it hasn't already been started!

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 08:00 AM
link   
According to YOUTUBE user BackToConstitution this is a FALSE FLAG.

I have seen his YOUTUBE video. Very good I thought. It's only 11.23 minutes long.

His video description is below

The evidence for Planet X is growing Now the mainstream media is telling us that a comet is coming in and it will be 15 times brighter than the moon, maybe They are also saying that November is the ETA, but I think this is rubbish If nobody prepares until November, they'll all be dead by May, if the pole shift takes place in March or April Jacob, the physicist friend of Marshall Masters said Feb 2013 and I said Mar/Apr if there is a Planet X and the psychic said March and your friendly government said November?

Here's the link: Planet X: The Announcement

New Comet or Planet Nibiru? - Mainstream News

So what you people think? He's got some good uploaded video's on his channel.

edit on 30-10-2012 by RubberDuckGB because: Added youtube link

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 08:31 AM
link   
reply to post by RubberDuckGB

I would question how he hypothesizes thousands of amateur astronomers working independently around the world - which are already able to see C/2012 S1 with large telescopes apparently - will be hoodwinked into not publicly disagreeing with the official conclusions that it will pass no closer than within 60,000,000 km of Earth in December 2013, as opposed to crying from the hilltops that their observations reveal it to be getting close enough to hit us and cause mass devastation at any time before that.

Just an honest question. Peace.

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 08:38 AM
link   
reply to post by ubeenhad

Obviously a cover for Planet X/Nibiru. No comet in our recent history has even come close to the brightness of a full moon. Let the fun begin.
edit on 30-10-2012 by PlanetXisHERE because: addition

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 08:46 AM
link   
Mabus then will soon die, there will come
Of people and beasts a horrible rout:
Then suddenly one will see vengeance,
Hundred, hand, thirst, hunger when the comet will run

I wonder if this is the comet predicted.

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 08:51 AM
link   
reply to post by AceWombat04

You'll have to see his video. The video description is not enough. He doesnt say it will hit the Earth. Have a look at the vid only 11 minutes long.

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 08:58 AM
link   
Naming it "ISON", after the scientific institute where they work, instead of naming it after themselves, is a rare display of respect and humility. Especially considering the enormity of the discovery. Kudos to these astronomers, for having such character they deserve to, eh, have the comet named after them =)

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 09:22 AM
link   
reply to post by RubberDuckGB

I did watch it. No, he doesn't say it will hit. Specifically, he says he will only believe it when he sees it with his own eyes. But nevertheless, the hypothetical scenario he suggests would require the collusion and deception between amateur astronomers all over the world with large space agencies, or the suppression of every last one of their blogs, websites, and astronomical communities. Otherwise, when it became clear that it might strike the Earth, the official story would be shredded by the independent astronomical community worldwide.

Just my two cents. Peace.

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 10:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by RubberDuckGB
According to YOUTUBE

This is where you go wrong. Don't get your facts from Youtube, get them from astronomy websites, forums and blogs, etc. where amateur astronomers post their observations and measurements. If there was anything unusual or threatening about this comet, we would hear about it from them.

P.S. there is no evidence for Planet X.
edit on 30-10-2012 by wildespace because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 01:31 PM
link   
reply to post by wildespace

Thank you.

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 11:13 AM
link   
In addition, I would like to point out that when I (very politely, going out of my way to make it clear I intended no derision) asked said YouTube user how he hypothesized amateur astronomers could be kept from revealing that it was going to hit Earth (in the hypothetical scenario he suggests,) he immediately evaded the question and launched into an ad hominem attack telling me I "failed astronomy" and to "ask my mom" what I got wrong in my question.

When I asked again, he said the premise of the question was false and suggested I use "logic." When I politely asked him why, if his true aim was education and alerting people to a potential danger he wouldn't simply enlighten me to my apparent failures in the question asked, he stopped allowing my posts to be approved and simply never replied again.

That speaks volumes about his intentions in my opinion. Or, at the very least, about his attitude toward skepticism and questioning.

Just my two cents. Peace.
edit on 11/1/2012 by AceWombat04 because: Typo

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 12:42 PM
link   
reply to post by AceWombat04

I seem to incounter many on ATS with the same attitude. Unless the give out some directly falsifiable information, I just ignore them. Or try too,

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 03:17 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 03:24 PM
link   

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join