It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

2013 is gunna be an exciting year for cosmological phenomenon *Brightest comet in human history?*

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 29 2012 @ 10:06 PM
link   
Oh please, please let this be visible from where I am. I stayed up late into the evening one night sometime in the 1990s - it's a happy, but no longer specifically detailed teenage memory - watching a comet in the west traveling south from here in the Bay Area, CA. (Does anyone remember which comet it was?) It was so beautiful and one of those things that is just awe inspiring and rare to see with the naked eye. One of those things that makes you feel connected to the larger cosmos beyond our doorstep.

I sure hope I get to see this one.

posted on Sep, 29 2012 @ 11:53 PM
link   
ya just check it out at JPL

ssd.jpl.nasa.gov...

posted on Sep, 30 2012 @ 12:33 AM
link   
so does anyone know.
How big this thing is

And if this is related to the 1680s comet like how is it sister brother mother father, or what it was bigger and now this is only half of it

posted on Sep, 30 2012 @ 12:35 AM
link   
If this Comet is anything like the Comet of 1882, we are in for some sort of show...

GREAT SEPTEMBER COMET OF 1882:

This comet is perhaps the brightest comet that has ever been seen; a gigantic member of the Kreutz Sungrazing Group. First spotted as a bright zero-magnitude object by a group of Italian sailors in the Southern Hemisphere on Sept. 1, this comet brightened dramatically as it approached its rendezvous with the Sun. By the 14th, it became visible in broad daylight and when it arrived at perihelion on the 17th it passed at a distance of only 264,000-miles from the Sun's surface.

On that day, some observers described the comet's silvery radiance as scarcely fainter than the limb of the Sun, suggesting a magnitude somewhere between -15 and -20! The following day, observers in Cordoba described the comet as a "blazing star" near the Sun. The nucleus also broke into at least four separate parts. In the days and weeks that followed, the comet became visible in the morning sky as an immense object sporting a brilliant tail. Today, some comet historians consider it as a "Super Comet," far above the run of even Great Comets.

www.space.com...
edit on 30-9-2012 by DarknStormy because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2012 @ 02:22 AM
link   
Is This Nibiru? What a phenomenal event, and on such short notice!

posted on Sep, 30 2012 @ 03:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by ecapsretuo

I wouldn't go as far to call it Nibiru. But it is a rare event if what they are saying is correct. As for the timing, you would think they would of known about this comet coming in a lot earlier, hey?

posted on Sep, 30 2012 @ 04:54 AM
link   
Talk about being in two minds about something. On the one hand, weather permitting, this is likely to be one of the most exciting and awe-inspiring natural phenomena seen in our life time. On the other ... can you imagine the amount of complete, unmitigated tosh that is going to be bandied about on these very pages in the weeks leading up to the comet's appearance?

posted on Sep, 30 2012 @ 05:22 AM
link   
reply to post by lacrimoniousfinale

We've already had Nibiru wheeled out already in this thread. In the words of House Stark: "Pseudoscience is coming!".

posted on Sep, 30 2012 @ 05:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by lacrimoniousfinale
Talk about being in two minds about something. On the one hand, weather permitting, this is likely to be one of the most exciting and awe-inspiring natural phenomena seen in our life time. On the other ... can you imagine the amount of complete, unmitigated tosh that is going to be bandied about on these very pages in the weeks leading up to the comet's appearance?

I think it is worth putting a bit more research into considering what the experts are telling us when it comes to magnitude etc, but the reality is that its nothing more than a comet. They have rarely come in the past like this one will and we should just enjoy the spectacle when it arrives.

Unless of course someone has 100%, undebunkable proof that the object is something else. But to them, good luck

posted on Sep, 30 2012 @ 07:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by purplemer
reply to post by ubeenhad

Wonder what made so many cultures sure it was a bad omen

Its a bad omen because a long time ago a object visited our skies and light them up. Some refereed to it as a dragon. ...
. It is a time of cleansing followed by the return of a teacher. This story can be found in many different cultures around the world.

C/2012 S1 (ISON) might become known as the comet "Mahdi" ... the return of the teacher... if my connecting the dots is anywhere near correct

Mahdi - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In Islamic eschatology, the Mahdi (Arabic: مهدي‎ / ISO 233: mahdī / English: Guided
One) is the prophesied redeemer of Islam who will rule for seven, nine or nineteen years...
before the Judgement Day...
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mahdi

edit on 30-9-2012 by St Udio because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2012 @ 12:13 PM
link   
whos gonna have time to look up while they are rounding us all up for camps ^^

posted on Sep, 30 2012 @ 12:30 PM
link   
I was driving (passenger) through TX early in the morning, around 4AM and saw the 1997 comet. It was spectacular! Saw both trails. It was very cool. Can't wait to see this one.

posted on Sep, 30 2012 @ 12:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by ecapsretuo

Not unless the nibiru nut jobs change it from a planet to a comet.

It will be exciting to see i agree. Its not an astroid

posted on Sep, 30 2012 @ 04:59 PM
link   
Gee, this won’t bring tons of Planet X and UFO threads because everyone keeps up with the news.........

I can’t wait for this one because it lasts for a long time unlike other, much shorter, events. Let’s hope 2012 is fake

posted on Sep, 30 2012 @ 07:18 PM
link   
Wow. I just posted on this same topic but in another thread. This looks like this would have been a more appropriate location.

other ATS thread

The part of that reply that I would also like to contribute here (I apologize if considered cross posting)

With a quick search, I found Pliny the Elder wrote concerning their meanings:

If it resembles a pair of flutes, it is a portent for the art of music; in the private parts of the constellations it portends immorality; in relation to certain fixed stars it portends men of genius and a revival of learning; in the head of the northern or the southern serpent [i.e. Draco and Serpens] it brings poisonings.

Comet Lore

It will be interesting to see the shapes of and follow the tracks of both this comet and Comet C/2011 L4 that last I heard was also supposed to be a spectacular sight next year.

Perhaps we can do this as "Team ATS" ? It would be interesting to discuss as the "omens are read". muhahaha erm... you get the idea. More for fun than anything.

posted on Oct, 1 2012 @ 06:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by ubeenhad

A new comet has been discovered that is predicted to blaze incredibly brilliantly in the skies during late 2013. With a perihelion passage of less than two million kilometres from the Sun on 28 November 2013, current predictions are of an object that will dazzle the eye at up to magnitude —16. That's far brighter than the full Moon. If predictions hold true then C/2012 S1 will certainly be one of the greatest comets in human history, far outshining the memorable Comet Hale-Bopp of 1997 and very likely to outdo the long-awaited Comet Pan-STARRS (C/2011 L4) which is set to stun in March 2013.

The new comet, named C/2012 S1 (ISON) was found by the International Scientific Optical Network (ISON) in Russia on 21 September when astronomers Vitali Nevski and Artyom Novichonok captured it on CCD images taken through a 0.4-metre reflector. Its near-parabolic orbit suggests that it has arrived fresh from the Oort Cloud, a vast zone of icy objects orbiting the Sun, pristine remnants of the formation of the Solar System. C/2012 S1 currently resides in the northwestern corner of Cancer. At magnitude +18 it is too dim to be seen visually but it will be within the reach of experienced amateur astronomers with CCD equipment in the coming months as it brightens. It is expected to reach binocular visibility by late summer 2013 and a naked eye object in early November of that year. Northern hemisphere observers are highly favoured. Following its peak brightness in late November it will remain visible without optical aid until mid-January 2014.

Comet brightness predictions sometimes exceed their performance. Amateur astronomers of a certain age may remember the Comet Kohoutek hype of 1973 – not quite the 'damp squib' it has been portrayed, since it reached naked eye visibility! Even if C/2012 S1 takes on the same light curve as Kohoutek it is certain to be spectacular, quite possibly a once-in-a-civilisation's-lifetime event.

Source

Crazy they just now found it.
Its brightness magnitude is expected to be -16. In comparison, the sun has a magnitude of -26, and Comet Hale-Bopp was magnitude -1

edit on 28-9-2012 by ubeenhad because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2012 @ 07:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Trillium

Not really, it's very small, very dim and a long way away.

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 02:19 AM
link   
Yes, great news, enormous magnitude in this one. So, it all will come true very soon, the endtimes are here and what every human being has awaited throughout thousands of years of suffering in their reincarnation loop will be decided soon. Good people have nothing to fear, my advice is to become a good person in daily life and remember the following seven words to be safe in the future:

"Truthfulness-Compassion-Tolerance is good, Falun Dafa is good"

Nostradamus said something about the comet and also about a plague removing a big part of the world´s people:

II 62

French:

Mabus puis tost alors mourra viendra,
De gens & bestes vne horrible deffaite,
Puis tout à coup la vengeance on verra,
Cent, main, soif, faim, quand courra la comette.

English:
Mabus then will soon die, there will come
Of people and beasts a horrible rout:
Then suddenly one will see vengeance,
Hundred, hand, thirst, hunger when the comet will run.

Epistle to Henry II:

"Meanwhile, such a plague will arise that more than two thirds of the world will be removed. One will be unable to ascertain the true owners of fields and houses, and weeds growing in the streets of cities will rise higher than the knees."

Wish you all the very best in the future. Those who want to be helped will remember to become good people and always be kindhearted.

Just my two cents.
edit on 3-10-2012 by Gaussq because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 03:47 AM
link   

Its brightness magnitude is expected to be -16. In comparison, the sun has a magnitude of -26, and Comet Hale-Bopp was magnitude -1

Why is it crazy they just found it care to explain your logic on that

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 11:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by wmd_2008

Why is it crazy they just found it care to explain your logic on that

Because a large portion of the objects in the oort cloud is cataloged and tracked, just for this reason.
It's also rare that we get such a big, close comet thats gunna make its first pass close to the sun.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join