Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

I Know How To Solve The U.S. Debt Crisis

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 02:32 PM
link   
Once again, I return with another controversial thread that will more than likely be faced with the trash bin. The best way to solve the debt crisis in the United States would be to initiate a "fat tax".

www.cdc.gov...

The reason for this specifically is because approximately 35.7% of Americans are obese, and 30% are overweight. There is an easy and simple way to solve this problem on both ends. Some may argue that eating healthy and fresh is too expensive for most people. Consider this, most of these people have flat screen televisions, video game consoles, watch movies on a regular basis and consume a large quantity of processed foods.

The solution to this of course is to give people incentives to be fit, and we can start this by initiating a weight tax.

Example A: If you weigh a certain amount when you file your annual income tax, then you are penalized based on your weight, BMI, or cholesterol rates. This can be obtained by a physical right before your tax return.

Example B: Impose an extra tax on all fast foods that are not vegan or health conscious. Whether it be A&W or Jack in the Box. This would be a tax that is higher than just the federal and state tax that would make it almost impossible to afford these things.

Example C: Give healthy and fit people incentives, tax breaks, tax credits, or scholarships or bursaries for being in shape. This will motivate people to get in shape to earn these rewards and they will feel better by being fit.

Example D: If you work for a large corporation, make gym memberships be a part of your benefits. Reason being is because the more people who would end up using these facilities and creating partnerships with companies and gyms would boost the profits and sales of the gyms and make people healthier and happier as well.

I understand a lot of people will also claim that being fat or overweight is a genetic condition in some cases, but I personally have many overweight people in my family, and my doctor told me earlier in my life that I would probably be overweight. Not only have I never been overweight (due to my hard work and efforts) but I have not been sick since I was about 15 years old. (Not counting my car accident and getting hit by a car leading to broken bones)

Being overweight has also been proven to cause cancer in some situations, and by eating healthy and keeping in shape, your odds of beating the disease are better. For those who are going to criticize me for bringing cancer into this, someone very very dear to me defeated cancer after being in stage 3 all by changing her diet, exercise regimen, and overall look on life with no medication whatsoever.

The goal of this thread is to gain opinions from others and to see exactly what other people think with regards to this matter.

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 02:43 PM
link   
Ya know the thing that pisses me off about the national debt? It's that part that says "Your part of the debt"..My house is paid for, my car is paid for, I have zero credit cards and zero debt..So "my part' is already paid up..The audacity of these[snipped] to say i owe $51,088 is beyond ludicrous.. Here's the national debt clock with "your" part at the top left of the clock National Debt Clock

I totally agree with a fat tax..If you can't control yourself with food you need to be taxed..I understand those who have medical problems that cause their weight gain and they would be exempt from the tax..It's the person that just has to have that triple whooper or double quarter pounder with cheese that needs to be taxed to high hell, just like you nasty ass cig smokers
edit on 28-9-2012 by TheLonewolf because: (no reason given)
edit on Fri Sep 28 2012 by DontTreadOnMe because: Mod Note: Do Not Evade the Automatic Censors

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 02:45 PM
link   
reply to post by DragonRain311

REALLY? What's next, taxing ugly people?

Let's look at the effects of HFCS and it's effects on obesity in this country and how the government supports it's use in our food!!!

WOW!!!!!!!! Can you be any more vain?

Edit: You do realize that a lot of the medicine people use also causes weight problems? But I guess it is the fault of the people who use the medicine and not our government who props up Big Pharm and allows them to put symptom solving meds on the market versus cures?
edit on 28-9-2012 by seeker1963 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 02:48 PM
link   
So let me get this correct.

IF you have a thyroid problem, or do not care about your weight, you will be taxed more?
Maybe you're a chef and good chefs have to taste their foods they're cooking to know they got it right... So they're eating more during the day...

Before each tax return you MUST have a physical even if you don't want one?
Maybe next thing to do would be to insert a chip in your arm that gets all these extra little reading on your body, you kow, for tax purposes...

Gimme a break!
edit on 28-9-2012 by DaRAGE because: (no reason given)
edit on 28-9-2012 by DaRAGE because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 02:51 PM
link   
Wow seems like a complete fail on how to fix the economy.

I figured it'd be legalize hemp.

Meh.

Seems like way too much govt in my Life OP... Trying to go the opposite way bruh.

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 02:56 PM
link   

How about make them pay more for their health insurance? Seems more fair than a tax.

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 03:01 PM
link   
Those are the same reasons for any and all sin taxes.

And they just don't work. Lots of people still smoke despite a single pack of cigarettes costing as highe as nine dollars in some parts of the country.

Except they make the government a lot of money.

And it's not an incentive, it's a punishment.

A real incentive would be something like having five good looking ladies come up to you and say "We'll do anything you want if you lose 100 pounds." That's a REAL incentive.

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 03:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheLonewolf
Ya know the thing that pisses me off about the national debt? It's that part that says "Your part of the debt"..My house is paid for, my car is paid for, I have zero credit cards and zero debt..So "my part' is already paid up..The audacity of these f**ks to say i owe $51,088 is beyond ludicrous.. Here's the national debt clock with "your" part at the top left of the clock National Debt Clock

I totally agree with a fat tax..If you can't control yourself with food you need to be taxed..I understand those who have medical problems that cause their weight gain and they would be exempt from the tax..It's the person that just has to have that triple whooper or double quarter pounder with cheese that needs to be taxed to high hell, just like you nasty ass cig smokers

I agree entirely. I own everything I have. I do not smoke either. I have one credit card that I pay off every single month that I only use for online shopping. I do not own any share of this debt even if the Canadian government wishes to say I do. No 17067.74 for me, I have paid my dues and debts.

www.debtclock.ca...

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 03:08 PM
link   
reply to post by DaRAGE

I am going to assume that you are bitter because you assume that this is a problem? Perhaps you should look at the issue objectively instead of indicating your discontent via absurd means.

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 03:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by seeker1963

REALLY? What's next, taxing ugly people?

Let's look at the effects of HFCS and it's effects on obesity in this country and how the government supports it's use in our food!!!

WOW!!!!!!!! Can you be any more vain?

Edit: You do realize that a lot of the medicine people use also causes weight problems? But I guess it is the fault of the people who use the medicine and not our government who props up Big Pharm and allows them to put symptom solving meds on the market versus cures?

You fail to indicate the reason these people are on these medicines is because of the fact that they eat a large quantity of food or have unhealthy practices. I am not vain, just healthy and looking for a solution. You are not doing any better by trying to back up people who make their own lives worse

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 03:13 PM
link   

You also failed to address the cost of eating healthy,

Why do you think junk food and fast food is so cheap?

High quality healthy foods cost more.

I know this because I like high quality food and hardly ever eat fast food, save for an occasional pizza.

I realize not everyone can afford to eat healthy though.
edit on 28-9-2012 by Lysergic because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 03:13 PM
link   
May as well go all the way and ban everything that tastes good. The War on Calories sounds great. Cant wait.

"In todays news, the Director of Homeland Health has announced M&Ms have been reclassified as a class A confectionary product. An amnesty period of 3 weeks will run from this friday.

Meanwhile in baltimore 3 teens were shot dead in a shootout for control of the black market beef trade"

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 03:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Lysergic

I also failed to mention that it is not entirely mandatory to eat 3-5 large meals a day and the information provided by government health departments with regards to the proper amount of daily nutrition is absurd. All human beings need are 1-2 meals a day. It is not difficult or expensive to eat healthy, I do not make much money but I can afford it.

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 03:21 PM
link   

Ya know the thing that pisses me off about the national debt? It's that part that says "Your part of the debt"..My house is paid for, my car is paid for, I have zero credit cards and zero debt..So "my part' is already paid up..

You really think you own your house? Stop paying your property taxes and find out...

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 03:29 PM
link   
They'll balance the tax with an energy tax. People who are skinney have more energy so pollute more because they are always running around and use more fuel.

People who have low metabolism shouldn't eat raw broccoli, some lettuces, or spinach, they are goitrogens and lower metabolism. Trying to eat healthy isn't for some people. The increased fluoride in the water also hurts people with a lower metabolism lowering their energy levels. There are many other things that should be avoided by overweight people that are said to be good to lose weight. If you cut down the energy level of a person with this tendency, they get sick more often also. You need energy to fight sickness. In another year I may have enough information about side effects of foods and the way TPTB (society as a whole) uses false food info to dope people up.
edit on 28-9-2012 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 03:30 PM
link   

You fail to indicate the reason these people are on these medicines is because of the fact that they eat a large quantity of food or have unhealthy practices. I am not vain, just healthy and looking for a solution. You are not doing any better by trying to back up people who make their own lives worse

Really? You are the one who fails to realize that just because someone who is obese, does not mean they are a lazy slob with nothing to contribute to society but to pay more taxes!!!

Your attitude to attack and penalize people based upon their appearance instead of those who are in charge and creating the laws in this country proves your cowardice!

Edit: How much GMO food is eaten in the White House? None! But yet our government won't even pass a law that requires corporation to properly label our foods as to whether or not they contain GMO's! Ask youself how can a government not even allow people to know what they are eating? So with that being said, and according to your logic, until the people have the rights to know what the hell they are ingesting, then the government is the one responsible for obesity!

Why do want to attack obese people instead of the government and corporations who allow the products to be created that people consume and causes most of these problems to begin with?? Just because your genetic code allows you to be skinny or normal, you are quick to judge those you know nothing about???

I have taken drugs that have put on thirty pounds in a matter of months! So does that mean I should be penalized? Why not penalize the FDA and Big Pharm for creating this medicine???

Obviously you have been brainwashed by the MSM to attack those who cannot help themselves versus attacking perhaps the criminals in our governments who are bought and payed for by these corrupt corporations!

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 03:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by DragonRain311

Ya know the thing that pisses me off about the national debt? It's that part that says "Your part of the debt"..My house is paid for, my car is paid for, I have zero credit cards and zero debt..So "my part' is already paid up..The audacity of these f**ks to say i owe $51,088 is beyond ludicrous.. Here's the national debt clock with "your" part at the top left of the clock National Debt Clock

I agree entirely. I own everything I have. I do not smoke either. I have one credit card that I pay off every single month that I only use for online shopping. I do not own any share of this debt even if the Canadian government wishes to say I do. No 17067.74 for me, I have paid my dues and debts.

www.debtclock.ca...

Damn, I didn't think Canada tried to extort it's citizens to pay off their national debt too!..Sonsabitches need to get a job if they want money or even better curtail the erroneous spending these governments do

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 03:44 PM
link   
reply to post by TheGreatDivider

Ha, never have and never will..come and get me

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 03:44 PM
link   
reply to post by seeker1963

Sir, I am no coward. I would openly say the same thing to your face if presented with it. The bottom line is everyone has a choice whether you choose to accept it or not. All this talk about the big bad government and pharmaceutical companies is just a damn scapegoat for most people. I also know that some obese people are not slobs but these people are few and far between.

The whole concept of this website is to deny ignorance. I refuse to have someone tell me that it is all the government's fault of the pharmaceutical companies fault. Everyone chooses their own paths. Again, in accordance with genetics, I am labelled as someone whose family has a history of weight issues and thyroid problems. But because I work hard and stay in shape, I do not face any problems whatsoever.

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 03:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by DragonRain311

www.debtclock.ca...

Damn, I didn't think Canada tried to extort it's citizens to pay off their national debt too!..Sonsabitches need to get a job if they want money or even better curtail the erroneous spending these governments do

Unfortunately Lone Wolf, it is sad but true. I realize that this is continuing to grow and be a problem.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join