It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The IRA.....Once a terrorist organization or freedom fighters? You decide.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 29 2012 @ 01:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by blueorder
Brother, I can assure you they were no freedom fighters

... and

SCUMBAGS TO A MAN/WOMAN!

Totally agree. There is always a danger that with the passage of time people’s perceptions and experiences will be tempered. The IRA murdered and intimidated people. They sought to get their political aims by terrorising people and forcing politicians to give way to their demands.

Luckily, the British politicians won and the rest is history.

There were also Loyalist terrorists.

Freedom fighters = just people wanting to re-write history and excuse the atrocities of the IRA.

Terrorism did not start with 9/11, although sadly some victims may well have given a few dollars to NORAID. Some people on these Boards seem to thing Gadaffi was a charming chap without appreciating he activaly supported the IRA terrorists.

Regards

posted on Sep, 29 2012 @ 04:36 AM
link   
every one of the territories of great britain tried to break free of the english at one time or the other.

and they were each violently put down.

so who's the real terrorist.

if voting and the will of the people is not even an option, what's left.

posted on Sep, 29 2012 @ 04:38 AM
link   
reply to post by yuppa

any witnesses to the stabbing? hearsay? the men were found guilty and charged with murder, there's no confusion to be had. I bet this will be another off topic post. Talk about Mods ruining a thread

posted on Sep, 29 2012 @ 04:41 AM
link   
Which IRA are we talking about? Also I am irish so I might be able to give more info than people using google. The IRA gave an apology for what they did. Nothing was given by the UVF or the British. The British aren't even acknowledging all of what happened, cowards. I do disagree with what the 60s+ IRA did but BEOFRE then I have no problem with them getting our independence

posted on Sep, 29 2012 @ 04:43 AM
link   
reply to post by mr-lizard

Bravo that the Brits and the British funded UVF did the same....... The IRA isn't just one organisation, it has many different splinter groups.

posted on Sep, 29 2012 @ 04:45 AM
link   
reply to post by scotsdavy1

If you're referring to N.I then it's their home, they were invaded but now I accept that the majority which is near enough to 60% want to stay in the UK so let it be. You can't ask every nationalist to move. Why don't the Loyalists and Orangemen just move to England

posted on Sep, 29 2012 @ 04:47 AM
link   
reply to post by alldaylong

There wouldn't be bombs if they didn't invade and stay to occupy

posted on Sep, 29 2012 @ 05:22 AM
link   
I know someone who escaped death by leaving Northern Ireland. It was terrorist alright. They say they were fighting for freedom yet they fought each other as well. Stupid Irish. I married an Irish girl and she agrees with me.

posted on Sep, 29 2012 @ 05:31 AM
link   
reply to post by yuppa

The IRA tried to kill me twice, once in Manchester and once in Warrington.

In Manchester, they detonated a bomb in a city centre and caused millions of pounds worth of damage, affecting livelihoods, causing mass panic and chaos

In Warrington, they detonated bombs they had placed in litter bins, on a busy shopping street.

I was in the vicinity of both

Ask the parents of the three year old boy who was shredded by the bin explosion in Warrington if they were terrorists or not.

Yes, they were terrorists. They planted bombs in civilian areas.

Heres some social commentary - any American who posts in this thread who backs military action in Afghanistan, or Iraq, and wants to see action in Iran and simply calls the IRA "Freedom Fighters" is a hypocrite of the highest order.

And if you refute that claim, think of it this way - by your standards the British Response to the IRA should have been to level Dublin with Vulcan bombers.

posted on Sep, 29 2012 @ 05:49 AM
link   
reply to post by pacifier2012

Are you saying the Irish are stupid? Also the IRA aren't the only terrorists involved, they just get the spotlight

posted on Sep, 29 2012 @ 06:20 AM
link   
Having served there during the troubles for a very long period of time, and living in the community on and off for thr last 23 years, losing good friends.. I can say that the paramilitaries on both sides are nothing but scumbag cowards who lord it over their own communties via threats, punisment beatings/killings, racketeering, drug dealing, intimidation, infact all things associated with mafia gangs..

They are not freedom fighters..

They are cowards who hide behind masks and are too cowardly to face us in the open.. They hide behind religion.. One that says do not kill, steal et al yet break all of those on a daily basis during their drug fueled crime sprees..

They have no honour or code...

They are nothing more than chavvy hoods..

posted on Sep, 29 2012 @ 06:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by paraphi
Totally agree. There is always a danger that with the passage of time people’s perceptions and experiences will be tempered. The IRA murdered and intimidated people. They sought to get their political aims by terrorising people and forcing politicians to give way to their demands.

Luckily, the British politicians won and the rest is history.

There were also Loyalist terrorists.

Freedom fighters = just people wanting to re-write history and excuse the atrocities of the IRA.

Terrorism did not start with 9/11, although sadly some victims may well have given a few dollars to NORAID. Some people on these Boards seem to thing Gadaffi was a charming chap without appreciating he activaly supported the IRA terrorists.

Would you call the French Resistance in WW2 terrorists also? How about the Palestinians now?

I think there needs to be some clarification here, because it seems our western governments seem to pick and choose who they call terrorists depending on the side they're being a terrorist for.

I personally do view the IRA as terrorists, but that's because they came here and attacked us, and other innocent people in Ireland.

I just think it's seemingly selective rewriting of history, and for the wrong reasons. Plenty of people view the IRA as terrorists because they DARED to fight an occupation, I don't think like that. If that were any other government occupying part of England we would be doing EXACTLY the same and you know it.

We planned to do exactly the same if Hitler ever occupied England. We had resistance cells across the country ready to start attacking and sabotaging anything they could. This would have been exactly like the French Resistance.

When you're occupying another nation you should expect to be fought by the people of that nation. That is a resistance movement whether you agree or not. The terrorism comes in when they start attacking innocent people.
edit on 29-9-2012 by detachedindividual because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 29 2012 @ 06:54 AM
link   
reply to post by detachedindividual

Dared to fight an occupation??? Lol

We did not "occupy" until 1968 when Northern Irish PROTESTANTS were engaged in a capaign of almost apartheid type behaviour towards the Catholic population...

We were initially there to PROTECT the catholics!

They actually thanked us for being there! Then they turned on us..

Why?

Irish communist political ideology born in Queens university via that whole 60's liberal revolutionist agenda that was popular in universities... Marxism...

They bit the hand that protected them..

edit on 29-9-2012 by EvanB because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 29 2012 @ 07:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by detachedindividual
Would you call the French Resistance in WW2 terrorists also? How about the Palestinians now?

Personally, I think questions like this need to be viewed in the context of the time and the circumstances of the situation. However, to throw the question back.

1. Did the French Resistance actively target civilians to achieve their aims and were they working with the support of the population?
2. Have / are some Palestinian groups targeting civilians to achieve their aims and were they working with the support of the population?
3. Did the IRA actively target civilians to achieve their aims and were they working with the support of the population?

I think that for (1) No and Yes (2) Yes and Yes (3) Yes and No. Guess who I think are terrorists?

Regards

edit on 29/9/2012 by paraphi because: format

posted on Sep, 29 2012 @ 08:11 AM
link   
This seems like a relevant thread to post this.

A fellow member has just "put an investigation on my ass". Due to my IRA comments aha.

I'm a terrorist threat, but aren't we all?

"Go Ron Paul!" LOL

Actually here is ^^^^ EvanB

edit on 29-9-2012 by Sinny because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 29 2012 @ 08:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sinny
This seems like a relevant thread to post this.

A fellow member has just "put an investigation on my ass". Due to my IRA comments aha.

I'm a terrorist threat, but aren't we all?

"Go Ron Paul!" LOL

Actually here is ^^^^ EvanB

edit on 29-9-2012 by Sinny because: (no reason given)

Absolutely.
Why would any serving personel provide you with training el al considering your views?? Why would any us serve with you? Can you be trusted??

We will find out... Im pretty senior so will... We are done training idiots to blow us up...

Good luck :-)

posted on Sep, 29 2012 @ 08:38 AM
link   
IRA = Child murdering bastards.

They can all go to hell as far as I'm concerned.

posted on Sep, 29 2012 @ 08:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sinny
reply to post by alldaylong

Warnings were given. Action not taken.

What more is there to say?

Aaaw how nice. You gave warnings.

I cannot believe you are justifying murder.

edit on 29-9-2012 by mr-lizard because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 29 2012 @ 10:10 AM
link   
reply to post by EvanB

I have no idea why you keep making the reference "serve with you".

posted on Sep, 29 2012 @ 12:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by EvanB
reply to post by detachedindividual

Dared to fight an occupation??? Lol

We did not "occupy" until 1968 when Northern Irish PROTESTANTS were engaged in a capaign of almost apartheid type behaviour towards the Catholic population...

We were initially there to PROTECT the catholics!

They actually thanked us for being there! Then they turned on us..

Why?

Irish communist political ideology born in Queens university via that whole 60's liberal revolutionist agenda that was popular in universities... Marxism...

They bit the hand that protected them..

They didn't bite the hand that protected them, the hand that was supposed to protect them didn't. As you said, the British Army was initially welcomed by Catholics in N. Ireland, until the British Army sided with the Loyalists and the IRA had to step in to protect the Catholic minority

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join