It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

HERO: Sikh woman inspires apology after being mocked online.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 11:30 AM
link   
We could all learn from this woman:

Sikh Woman Balpreet Kaur Turns Cyber Bullying Incident into Inspiration

After someone snapped a photo of her and posted it on online, Balpreet Kaur was ridiculed for following the tenets of her Sikh faith. But instead of hiding or lashing out, she politely posted a reply—and turned a bullying situation into a inspiring example of tolerance, support, and inspiration.

The photo was taken apparently without Kaur's knowledge while she was waiting in line at the Ohio State University Library. In the photo, Kaur's hair is hidden by a large, black turban. She's wearing a T-shirt and yoga pants, glasses, and is looking down at her cell phone; her sparse facial hair is clearly visible. A Reddit user posted it to the "Funny" forum with the quip, "I'm not sure what to conclude from this."

Comments started pouring in, making fun of her appearance, asking if she was transgendered, and taking her to task for not plucking, waxing, or shaving.

The article then continues:

After a friend told her about the thread, Kaur decided to respond to the taunts herself—and take the opportunity to educate people at the same time.

"Hey, guys. This is Balpreet Kaur, the girl from the picture," she wrote. "I'm not embarrassed or even humiliated by the attention [negative and positive] that this picture is getting, because it's who I am."

As a baptized Sikh woman, Kaur—who is from Ohio—said that she is forbidden from altering her body, as it is considered a sacred gift from God.

"The overarching principal is this body is a tool for service," she explained. "We have to maintain and take care of it while cherishing its original form." That means that going to the hospital and taking medicine is fine, because one should be healthy in order to be of service to others. But cutting one's hair or removing one's facial hair is forbidden, even if societal norms dictate otherwise.

"My hair doesn't stop me from being normal or doing service so its not a hindrance," she said in a later post. "I've been to the doctor regarding this and it's just a side effect of my hormone levels during my teenage years. The hormones have returned to normal, but the hair is still there. That's fine
I don't regret anything, nor do I view it as an unfortunate thing."

"Yes, I'm a baptized Sikh woman with facial hair. Yes, I realize that my gender is often confused and I look different than most women," wrote Kaur, who is the president of the Ohio State University's Sikh Student Association. "My attitude and thoughts and actions have more value in them than my body… by not focusing on the physical beauty, I have time to cultivate those inner virtues and hopefully, focus my life on creating change and progress for this world in any way I can."

The story ends with:

A few days later, the Reddit user who posted the picture started a new thread to apologize to Kaur.

"I felt the need to apologize to the Sikhs, Balpreet, and anyone else I offended when I posted that picture," the Redditor wrote. "Put simply it was stupid. Making fun of people is funny to some but incredibly degrading to the people you're making fun of. It was an incredibly rude, judgmental, and ignorant thing to post."

"I've read more about the Sikh faith and it was actually really interesting. It makes a whole lot of sense to work on having a legacy and not worrying about what you look like. I made that post for stupid internet points and I was ignorant." he continued. "Balpreet, I'm sorry for being a closed minded individual. You are a much better person than I am. Sikhs, I'm sorry for insulting your culture and way of life. Balpreet's faith in what she believes is astounding."

Awesome lesson and real food for thought.

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 11:34 AM
link   
When I saw this, I was inspired by the beauty and grace in her reply.
We should all think this way.

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 11:36 AM
link   
I'm sorry, what makes her a "hero"? A lot of people are picked on because of internet pictures. Ever seen the "faces of wall mart" website? I've never heard calls for apologizes and heroism in that case. Are those people OK to make fun of?

A women with a beard is strange. Nothing will ever change that and being a woman with a beard hardly makes you a hero.
edit on 28-9-2012 by PvtHudson because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 11:37 AM
link   
Love it... This World full of such prejudice and hate could take a lesson. She should get a job as a diplomat.

S&F

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 11:40 AM
link   
reply to post by PvtHudson

Originally posted by PvtHudson
I'm sorry, what makes her a "hero"? A lot of people are picked on because of internet pictures. What makes her special? Also, she trims the facial hair, but can't just cut it off?

A women with a beard is strange. Nothing will ever change that and being a woman with a beard hardly makes you a hero.

Are you serious????

It's how she chose to RESPOND to it that apparently even you could definitely learn from.

Somehow, I think it wont help you though.

edit on 28-9-2012 by loam because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 11:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by loam
Are your questions serious????

It's how she chose to RESPOND to it that YOU could definitely learn from.

I'm still confused what makes her a hero? I responded in much the same way when I was picked on as a kid. My parents always told me "sticks and stones....". Realizing that words don't hurt and to shrug them off is not a new concept, nor is it heroic.

If it makes you feel better about yourself to pretend it is, then who am I to stop you? Carry on....

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 11:43 AM
link   

She didn't antagonize the situation. She was insulted on a large platform. Rather than a retort, she took the opportunity to educate about her beliefs while leaving a good impression as to her character.
As to yours, the jury is still out.

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 11:44 AM
link   
reply to post by synnergy

PvtHudson... This ^^^^^^^

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 11:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by synnergy

She didn't antagonize the situation. She was insulted on a large platform. Rather than a retort, she took the opportunity to educate about her beliefs while leaving a good impression as to her character.
As to yours, the jury is still out.

People do that all the time. You're only impressed because the media instructed you to be. If you don't fall for the appeal to emotion, you'll be insulted (like you did me). You're trained well.

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 11:47 AM
link   
Of course people are going to look at her picture and think ' wow a bearded lady'.
You don't see many of them about hence why they used to be in circuses.
Not saying that mocking her is right or wrong.

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 11:55 AM
link   

I'm sorry, what makes her a "hero"? A lot of people are picked on because of internet pictures. Ever seen the "faces of wall mart" website? I've never heard calls for apologizes and heroism in that case. Are those people OK to make fun of?

She's not necessarily a hero, but she is doing the right thing. She realized she was wrong and apologized for it completely on her own. In so doing, she is showing a little thing called common respect.

Most people are completely incapable of doing that these days. It's far too easy to put somebody down and anybody who does that always justify because they look wierd because for some reason society demands that we all look the same and looking different is frowned upon.

It's easy to give in to your anxieties about people and then tear them down to build one's self up. That's what society does and somehow people think that's okay.

Basically it's not necessarily something heroic, but it is something decent. And this is something that is lacking in the modern age. Most people just don't have this thing called common courtesy and respect, all people want to do is put people down if they're different in any way.

And that's entirely what's wrong with society these days.

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 11:56 AM
link   

I apologize for the insult, it was uncalled for.
But please, just let people commend integrity or righteousness. (whatever they choose to call it)
This was sent to me by email yesterday actually, so the media didn't "instruct me to" respond this way.

Its just something positive to read. (lots of bullying going on and many don't have the kind of parents or support you did)

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 11:58 AM
link   

People do that all the time.

In my experience, that's the exception.

It's nice to see examples on occasion.

You're only impressed because the media instructed you to be.

*yawn*

What kind of person converts a simple inspirational story into an implication that if inspired by it, it can only because we're too stupid to avoid being manipulated by the media?

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 12:00 PM
link   
Definition:

HERO = "a [person] of distinguished courage or ability, admired for his brave deeds and noble qualities."

I think she demonstrated her noble qualities in spades.

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 12:06 PM
link   
reply to post by loam

I too do not agree with the media comment but do think they emphasize mundane emotional stories too much. The news is no longer an avenue for educating but instead another entertainment show aimed at ratings. Every-time I see it they run through all the important stories like it is a race then have extended segments on irrelevant things like reality stars or someone not getting offended by an insult. Guarantee the today show and some others tried to contact this person to come on. Then again I guess only the majority is to blame since ratings are directly related to those watching it. Says a lot about the current society.

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 12:06 PM
link   
reply to post by loam

She is who she is and that's simply who she is.

People are different for various reasons, Many as in her case because of reasons beyond her control.

She sounds like she has a good level head on her shoulders and comfortable with who she is and how she looks. Which is a hell a lot more than many people can say about how they feel about themselves.

I think this is a great story.

Thanks for posting.

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 01:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by loam
Are your questions serious????

It's how she chose to RESPOND to it that YOU could definitely learn from.

I'm still confused what makes her a hero? I responded in much the same way when I was picked on as a kid. My parents always told me "sticks and stones....". Realizing that words don't hurt and to shrug them off is not a new concept, nor is it heroic.

If it makes you feel better about yourself to pretend it is, then who am I to stop you? Carry on....

An attempt was made to publicly humiliate and laugh at her, and many joined in the tirade.

She rose above it, and didn't descend to their level. And look what she achieved, she opened a few ignorant eyes, which is a difficult task these days

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 01:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Julie Washington
Love it... This World full of such prejudice and hate could take a lesson. She should get a job as a diplomat.

S&F

I agree she faced the ignorance with her brighter light and the light shined thru teaching others enlightening others. Nice positive turn around and read. 1 of humanities gem behaviors..

NAMASTE*******

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 01:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by EvilSadamClone

Good for her, I guess. What makes this the national news story it's become? It follows a common media narrative, that's why.

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 01:25 PM
link   

Maybe its as simple as some are just happy to see another of their race respond to ignorance in a intelligent higher vibrating fashion instead of her adding to the ignorance and just throwing back ignorance which defuses no issue and feeds ignorance within the collective even more. Its really not that hard to see why many call her a hero they are happy to see some good (not saying your situations were not as important if they truly effect the collective in a positive way) just saying hers mattered. She is a hero in essence to the human race for adding her energy to the human collective and effecting it with here positive vibrating frequency transmissions.

NAMASTE*******

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join