It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Derelict buildings - An Idea

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 10:47 AM
link   
Hello all.

Seeing how this is my first post I wanted to float around an idea to see if it's feasible. We all know and love some of the old derelict buildings that dot the landscape of america (old car plants, etc). Why not refurbish them to create food or to create crops that can be used for the creation of ethanol (giant greenhouses)? I know it's a lame idea and would probably take hundreds of millions or even hundreds of billions of dollars to achieve. But think of the long-term effects. This would reduce (if not eliminate) the use of regular farm land for said crops, plus the added bonus of reusing infrastructure that is already in place. We have technology in place now for renewable energies that would reduce the overall load these facilities would have on the electrical grid which should make them viable.
As for the short-term effects. Think of the jobs that would be created to refurbish these plants across the country, as well as the jobs created to run these plants.

Please poke holes in this idea and who knows the ATS community may come up with an idea that can at least help the economy.

Cheers

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 10:56 AM
link   
Turn them into indoor skateparks

Might not be such a problem in America but it rains all the time in the UK and most of our parks are outdoors!
edit on 28/9/2012 by Fazza! because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 10:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Fazza!

Another idea, excellent. It would keep the young ones off the street for the most part, lol.

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 11:09 AM
link   
Great idea, now all wee need is hundreds of billions of dallars.

I like that your first thread is not too crazy or doom and gloom. Welcome to ats.

What kind of food where you thinking could be produced on often toxic land. The homeless can't even put their heads down in these places without being told to leave as its private property. Which would be a far better use of the facility, as farming just would not be feasible for the space and light required, processed food plant maybe but I think we need less of those

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 11:12 AM
link   
Really?

You want to replace MILLIONS of square miles of farming with vacant buildings?

And, how much energy would you need to provide sufficient UV light to grow the crops inside?

Fail. Try again.

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 11:29 AM
link   
reply to post by RedShirt73

your idea has merit, only the time is not right, imo.
right now food is plentiful and relatively cheap.

if and when, due to volcanic activity, our planet has had ocasional no summer for years.

in a prolonged winter lasting many years, a mini ice age, these old buildings could grow mushrooms, tomatoes, etc year round.

when your starving, even mushroom soup will do.

tomatoes are a great source of vitamins.

someday, your idea might be valuable.
the regions most able to adapt will eat, the old buildings are strong.

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 11:30 AM
link   
reply to post by phantomjack

No, we don't replace existing farm land with derelict buildings, lol. Look at all the derelict buildings in Detroit for example. This land is often toxic and cannot be used to grow food for human/animal consumption. If we used it to grow corn, this can be used in the production of ethanol or some other fuel. As for energy costs, I think we have reached a level of renewable energy technology that we could sustain these plants. IMO, it would be a small boost to the economy all the while creating jobs for the refurbishment/cleanup of these plants as well as creating jobs in the plants to grow the crops.

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 11:44 AM
link   
I could see them being used as rec centers, or assembly areas for community services like homeless shelters, food distribution, social activism planning, even homegrown debate arenas etc. I don't know very much about the possibility of food production within them at this point, so I cant be of much service in that regard. But either way, people in need always need somewhere to go, whether that is homeless adults or straying youth.

On a less serious note, "I guess you can dere-lick my balls capitan."

edit on 9/28/2012 by Banananananana because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 11:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Banananananana

LMAO, yes, we'll make sure the buildings aren't refurbished for ants, lol.

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 12:16 PM
link   

haha, well played!

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 12:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by phantomjack
And, how much energy would you need to provide sufficient UV light to grow the crops inside?

Would it be possible to use fiberoptics to re-direct the natural sunlight to growing areas?
Just a thought...

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 12:38 PM
link   
reply to post by subject x

Yep, reflective sun tunnels.

www.velux.co.uk...

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 12:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Wifibrains

Now we're talking, lol.
Here's a link to some derelict buildings in Detroit (Some are very beautiful, historic buildings):

Derelict Buildings in Detroit

I especially like number 21 for growing crops. Plenty of sunlight.

edit on 28-9-2012 by RedShirt73 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 01:02 PM
link   

www.hhydro.com...

Indoor garden supply's. Now all we needs chase Morgan on board and we are set.

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 01:03 PM
link   
The idea kinda reminds me of the dam that won WWII. Unemployment was at 25% and it employed thousands, but when it was finally done there was nothing really for it to power. 4 months later WWII comes along and it powered the war machine in America and was touted as a great success.

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 01:11 PM
link   
Occupy movement should move on these derelict places and make self sustaining communities. Just drop wall st out altogether, leave em to it. Go create something better. With enough people on board to defend from invasion by government. Occupy a piece of land, declare sovereignty over it (that's all they did) document it in your own law system to validate it and presto. A new state. Or start small, derelict town or industrial complex and as more enter the community expand. Drop the fed and parliment.... Start a new, better.

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 02:11 PM
link   
Unless you are going 100% contained hydroponic, don't bother.

A building that was not purpose built for that scenario would not last very long with large scale, internal, plant growth.

It would, literally, tear the building apart.

for creativity though.

posted on Oct, 1 2012 @ 10:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by peck420
Unless you are going 100% contained hydroponic, don't bother.

A building that was not purpose built for that scenario would not last very long with large scale, internal, plant growth.

It would, literally, tear the building apart.

for creativity though.

That is why you retrofit these buildings to accommodate the growing of crops like corn. Just had another idea, lol. Why not use Monsanto seeds for these crops. If these seeds can't be used for human/animal consumption, why not use them for fuel? Just a quick thought, lol. This would be a win-win. Monsanto gets to grow their crops and we get ethanol, lol. I work as an IT guy in the oil industry in Alberta and we're always trying to find new and better ways to find/produce gasoline. You mightn't believe me but I'm a very green minded person.
edit on 1-10-2012 by RedShirt73 because: (no reason given)

edit on 1-10-2012 by RedShirt73 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join