It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chinese hackers have control of US power grid

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 07:23 PM
link   
reply to post by CIAGypsy

World War 3 could be fought and won with just computers. No need to drop a missile anymore. A high level of technology in the military is an Achilles heal. Ships, planes, boats need to go online before they can move these days. What goods a missile when it has no GPS. What good are satalites when you cannot talk to them..

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 08:00 PM
link   
Oh great. This is more great PR for Canada. More terrorists using Canada to enter the US...this time through our software.

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 08:27 PM
link   
reply to post by purplemer

A high level of technology in the military is an Achilles heal.

Actually, it is the opposite. The better the tech, the less likely the opposing force will be able to hack it.

Ships, planes, boats need to go online before they can move these days.

No they don't. Though many of the tracking systems can be monitored online.( flightradar24.com is a good one for planes fitted with transponders). The same goes for shipping. The actual plotted course is left to the captain of the vessel. Only the time in ports is ever set in stone(usually by the shipping company - not the captain).

What goods a missile when it has no GPS. What good are satalites when you cannot talk to them..

ICBM's do not use GPS systems due to the ease with which the signal can be spoofed(imitated).

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 10:25 PM
link   
I've been thinking about this for the past few years now. And here I sit with $1500 worth of grass fed beef etc in my freezer. Lose electricity and I lose a lot of food...
So I built a solar backup. I just finished it and tested it last weekend. When the sun is out I can run fridge, freezer without touching the batteries. When the sun goes down I can run off battery power for a week for the fridge, freezer, some lights, router, TV, AT&T box and computer before having to see the sun to recharge.
So I feel better now. And it was fun to build. Less than $1,500 US.I live in a part of the US that gets lots of sun...

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 11:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by OccamAssassin
reply to post by adjensen

Why critical computers that control things like air traffic control or the power grid are on networks that are connected to the Internet boggles the mind.

The systems are (generally) not connected to the internet. Usually the hackers connect directly to the systems via their internal networks. In the old days....a dialer would be set up to systematically call a range of phone numbers until a computer was found.....then the type of system and potential entry points can be identified.

The military works the same. Critical systems only run on dedicated networks.

Can you imagine the ramifications if a hacker were able to take control of a drone?

Could you imagine if they were able to take control of the missile defence systems or the launch systems..!?!

2nd

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 11:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by CIAGypsy

Chinese hackers have control of US power grid

news.techeye.net

The company whose software and services remotely administers and monitor large sections of the US energy industry began warning customers about a sophisticated hacker attack.

Telvent Canada said that digital fingerprints left behind by attackers point to a Chinese hacking group tied to repeated cyber-espionage campaigns against key Western interests.

It looks like the hackers managed to get past the company firewall and security systems.

Read more: news.techeye.net...
(visit the link for the full news article)

HA! Jokes on them...don't they know that it's crumbling, completely overloaded, and downright obsolete?

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 11:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ironclad

Originally posted by OccamAssassin
reply to post by adjensen

Why critical computers that control things like air traffic control or the power grid are on networks that are connected to the Internet boggles the mind.

The systems are (generally) not connected to the internet. Usually the hackers connect directly to the systems via their internal networks. In the old days....a dialer would be set up to systematically call a range of phone numbers until a computer was found.....then the type of system and potential entry points can be identified.

The military works the same. Critical systems only run on dedicated networks.

Can you imagine the ramifications if a hacker were able to take control of a drone?

Could you imagine if they were able to take control of the missile defence systems or the launch systems..!?!

2nd

They can't. That's a big part of the reason why we don't equip our thermonuclear weapons w/ WIFI. We sorta anticipated that scenario w/ the Russians in the 70's. We shouldn't really worry too much that the plot of the 1983 Matthew Broderick movie "War Games" will actually come true. LOL.

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 11:28 PM
link   
Okay, So I didn't read all of the links. If you do a Google search on this topic, this seems to have been going on since 2009. Here is the first link I saw( I didn't even bother reading all of it) www.telegraph.co.uk...
here is the most reputable source I found The Wall Street Journal. From back in 2009
online.wsj.com...
Now of coarse I am not going to post any the current situation, I guess My reason for posting these is, this has been going on for a very long time and makes me wonder exactly what they are planning to do. I am not going to be an alarmist over this, BUT I do find it very strange. I don't want us to end up like that show Revolution.

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 11:44 PM
link   

As if these groups arent run and funded by the Government. You might as well just call them a branch of the Chinese Government. Because it is.

They are labeling them as a "hacker terrorist group" because they dont want to admit that China owns our grid.

Spinning this, and stating its a terrorist hacker group, is cover, they would rather it be a hacker group to the public eyes, than admitting its China, and its Military.

Never the less.

There are some serous things going on in the World right now, many will have far reaching consequences.

However, the only reason we have gotten to this point, is obviously Humanity wanted to see it demonstrated, otherwise all of this chaos and insanity would have been stopped by a rational and sane World years ago.

So, it appears, that all of us here today have come here; and by here I mean Earth, for the reason of seeing this demonstrated, before the closing of the age.

I never understanding why citing the potential for many being killed is always referenced in threads like these.

I see Millions die everyday of old age, and no one is arming a revolution against old age and death by old age.

Its a terrible thing really. The numbers that die by old age are staggering. It leads the list of what kills People in every country.

Yet, not one campaign against it, nowhere. And there never will be one.

Yet, all of these other issues abound. There is a war on obesity. A war on drugs. A war on war. A war on everything and anything really, except old age.

So, if you win every single war out there against something or another, that is preventing someone from living longer, everyone is still going to loose the battle to old age, no matter how long science will extend our lives.

If our life spans were 800 years, we would then, die from "older age", instead of old age.

So, what is the point of all of anything?

Or nothing for that matter?

Obviously, our time on Earth is spent figuring out what we like and what we dont like.

The reason for all of this Im sure is in the "next life", whereby we will be every lost as always, but knowing that "some purpose must be out there".

Until Humans remove their egos about their self worth and importance, we are never going to understand the real base meanings of our most profound questions.

We die, no matter what, we should all get used to that, instead of finding reasons as to avoid it.

Avoiding death is the entire opposite meaning of what we are on Earth to begin with.

Learning and facing death is the ONLY reason we are here.

To learn how to die properly.

You all will learn this one day, and it will either make you smile and radiate, or turn black, and fade away.

Anyone who has seen someone die, know, these are the two choices on the deathbed.

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 11:58 PM
link   
reply to post by HermitShip

The Chinese Hackers are responsible for many incursions into the U.S. GRID...but only because we allow them to. It works like this...we let them hack our systems to an extent to see just how far or capable they are. We might even allow access for a time...but it is all for the purpose of gauging an adversary.

The U.S. Military Cyber Division has a MASSIVE BUDGET. Some estimate that over 70% of that budget is Covert thus it is much larger than the Huge Public Budget disclosed.

If you think for a SECOND the U.S. Military would not have the capability to BURN any Hack or Tag the Hack and insert a TOMBSTONE VIRUS on any Hacking Adversary...then you are delusional. The INTERNET WAS CREATED BY THE U.S. MILITARY! It has ways and lanes and Back Doors that NO ONE KNOWS ABOUT!

U.S. Networked Super Computing Alone is 50 YEARS in advance of anyone else and it is rumored the quantum computer project was a success! I have NO WORRIES about any hackers. Split Infinity

posted on Sep, 29 2012 @ 01:04 AM
link   

There are a few ways to look at this with concern or al of the above for that matter.

1. Cyber-Terrorism/Attacks are a full fledged security threat to the National infrastructure and hence why the U.S. Government has been making strides towards controlling the internet grid within it's borders for such events.

2. Cyber-Terrorism/Attacks is or can be used as a false-flag event to control the internet grid within the U.S. border.

3. Cyber-Terrorism/Attacks are genuine threats to National security nd should be addressed within the U.S. infrastructure but the costs would be immense hence why number 2 would give broader excusable action to spend the money needed while achieving all goals for control of the Internet grid within the U.S.

There could be other or combine variables I have not even though of.

posted on Sep, 29 2012 @ 01:06 AM
link   
reply to post by SplitInfinity

The Chinese Hackers are responsible for many incursions into the U.S. GRID...but only because we allow them to. It works like this...we let them hack our systems to an extent to see just how far or capable they are. We might even allow access for a time...but it is all for the purpose of gauging an adversary.

No they don't.

What you are referring to is called a "honeypot". It is a system dedicated to duping hackers into thinking it is a critical system and - in some cases - feeding them false intelligence.

There is no country in the world dumb enough to gauge another countries digital abilities by allowing them to access their critical systems.

If you think for a SECOND the U.S. Military would not have the capability to BURN any Hack or Tag the Hack and insert a TOMBSTONE VIRUS on any Hacking Adversary...then you are delusional.

If you think for a second that the US military is invulnerable....then you are delusional.

The INTERNET WAS CREATED BY THE U.S. MILITARY! It has ways and lanes and Back Doors that NO ONE KNOWS ABOUT!

When you say US military....do you really mean Donald Davies, the British engineer who created the 'packeting' protocol to allow multiple computers to communicate on a shared network?

Well, that too was a civilian operation.

Just to illustrate my point....

The first two nodes of what would become the ARPANET were interconnected between Leonard Kleinrock's Network Measurement Center at the UCLA's School of Engineering and Applied Science and Douglas Engelbart's NLS system at SRI International (SRI) in Menlo Park, California, on 29 October 1969.[11] The third site on the ARPANET was the Culler-Fried Interactive Mathematics center at the University of California at Santa Barbara, and the fourth was the University of Utah Graphics Department. In an early sign of future growth, there were already fifteen sites connected to the young ARPANET by the end of 1971.[12][13] These early years were documented in the 1972 film Computer Networks: The Heralds of Resource Sharing.

Just to clarify for the Yankee doodle dummies.....The internet was made by civilians in the 60's (Both British & US) and the system was later utilised by the US military. The US military never "made" the internet, it merely adopted the system/protocols for use in its own closed system.

posted on Sep, 29 2012 @ 01:24 AM
link   
reply to post by OccamAssassin

The Protocols that were first developed by NORAD which were adopted from Protocols for SAC all the way back in the 50's as a way to allow communication between Nuclear Bases in the even a First Strike took out Civilian Command and Control for the release of a Nuclear Strike...by way of First Generation Networked Tape Computers was the beginning of the system now known as the Internet. Split Infinity

posted on Sep, 29 2012 @ 01:38 AM
link   
Cyber-terrorism?

Wouldn't a threat to cyberspace give those in power the best reason to "secure" the internet and our "cyber-rights"?
Traditional terrorism has already gotten all of our other rights in the bag...

Methinks I smells a False-Flag.

posted on Sep, 29 2012 @ 01:51 AM
link   

Also...HONEYPOT is not a used Military Tagging System and if it was used...and not to my knowledge...it would not be a system that is of use for the purpose of true tagging. The idea is to not only tag but infect by infection of the nature to use the Hackers own code to rewrite itself.

In this manner...it is dormant until activated thus a Hacker can be Burned at any time desired. The current way of doing business is a Hacker using a Multitude of Systems as to have massive computing power using commercial or personal computers. The Makers of current Software have worked with both the NSA and DIA as well as Cyber Command to install within standard systems a manner of detection that has at it's heart is a unknown dormant set of Programming built in right down to Personal PC levels.

The Quantum Computer Development Program has been whispered to have been a success. This was accomplished even though the people who have worked on it do not even really know WHY IT WORKS...just that it does. The basis for construction of a Quantum based system lies in the Duel Ability of an Electron to both continue to a Ground as well as be used as a Trigger. Thus we are using Quantum Particle/Wave Forms in a Multi-Reality Based System. This is very much the same concept as the Double Slit Photon Experiment.
Split Infinity

posted on Sep, 29 2012 @ 02:29 AM
link   

WHAT IF?

this story is a lie created by our own government so that they would have the excuse for a internet kill switch in the near future? Not the entire net per say but make it very limited for civilians. Say something like civil unrest was to ignite and they wanted to quell the idea from spreading hence they shut off the internet and blame cyber terrorism ? I have to remain skeptical especially anything the media says. It could even be China creating propaganda ? I could imagine several scenarios to see this being the pretext to a false flag.

Originally posted by Monts
Cyber-terrorism?

Wouldn't a threat to cyberspace give those in power the best reason to "secure" the internet and our "cyber-rights"?

You are not alone... the dude definitely abides

edit on 29-9-2012 by DarthFazer because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 29 2012 @ 02:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by DarthFazer

WHAT IF?

this story is a lie created by our own government so that they would have the excuse for a internet kill switch in the near future? Say something like civil unrest was to ignite and they wanted to quell the idea from spreading hence they shut off the internet and blame cyber terrorism ? I have to remain skeptical especially anything the media says. It could even be China creating propaganda to keep us in check? I could imagine several scenarios to see this being the pretext to a false flag.

Originally posted by Monts
Cyber-terrorism?

You are not alone... the dude definitely abides

edit on 29-9-2012 by DarthFazer because: (no reason given)

Ten minutes ahead of ya buddy

posted on Sep, 29 2012 @ 02:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by SplitInfinity

The Protocols that were first developed by NORAD which were adopted from Protocols for SAC all the way back in the 50's as a way to allow communication between Nuclear Bases in the even a First Strike took out Civilian Command and Control for the release of a Nuclear Strike...by way of First Generation Networked Tape Computers was the beginning of the system now known as the Internet. Split Infinity

No it wasn't.

The protocols were designed (from scratch) by Donald Davies and his team. The rest of the world credits him with designing the internet, - hell, he is in the internet hall of fame for it - I wonder why Americans don't............Ego maybe?

FYI...A honeypot is a technical term used amongst computer technicians. If you were really knowledgeable on digital tech....you would have learnt that in your early years.

posted on Sep, 29 2012 @ 03:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by adjensen
Here's an "unhackable firewall":

Why critical computers that control things like air traffic control or the power grid are on networks that are connected to the Internet boggles the mind. If they need to be on a WAN, make it a private one that only connects to the outside world through a sneaker-net.

All of the above needs to communicate from one mainframe to another to achieve their goals and performances, the cost of creating private networks for all of those, plus laying down fiber optics and equipment would put them out of business before they start... Hence using the current internet as media of information relay... Even a computer that isn't connected to the internet can be hacked in some ways or somehow... as example... PS2 keystrokes can be sniffed through your power socket up to 30 meters away... The sound your keystrokes make when you press on your keyboard can be processed and fairly accurately guess passwords using guessing algorithms and a bit of luck... The EMF emitted by CRT monitor's VGA cable can be re-modulated and reconstructed at some level enough to gain information that shouldn't be gained...

Its called side channel attacks...

edit on 29-9-2012 by _R4t_ because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 29 2012 @ 03:21 AM
link   

I am not a Computer Guy! LOL! I do however have a bit of knowledge about certain Programs that were put into place long before Public Information such as what you have stated...which I do not disagree with from a certain aspect.

What I am trying to tell you is that Computer Networking and Inter Communication of Multiple Computer Systems was in use long before most people realize. USAF General CURTIS LeMAY and he was a General in the U.S. Army Air Corps long before the USAF existed...as well as the founder of SAC and famous for the statement...BOMB THEM BACK TO THE STONE AGE!....was Highly Concerned that a surprise Soviet First Strike could destroy the U.S. Civilian Command and Control...ie...the President....and leave the U.S. Nuclear Bombing Wing Bases or SAC bases...STRATEGIC AIR COMMAND as well as communication with Nuclear Missile Silos WORLD WIDE without the ability to receive instructions.

A Plan was designed and developed for Computer Commands over a secure Networked System be designed to direct Launch Codes and Verification of those Codes for all Bases, Silos, In Flight Bombers in case the Civilian Government was wiped out. This was the Beginning of the INTERNET although it was extremely Primitive and a Closed System...still...it was developed in the 1950's as the first U.S. ICBMS and B-52's were put into service.

A Networked Computer Communication system existed in the late 1950's as B-52's had a Very Secret at the time...on board Computer Verification Nuclear Attack LINK with other SAC Networked Computer Systems that were to be used in the event that Encrypted Radio Communication from Human Operated Attack Codes and Verification could not be received. The same was also done for Nuclear Missiles stationed in Europe and Turkey as well as U.S. Nuclear Missile Silos which were low in number at the time.

So what you are talking about already was in existence long before it ever became public. Split Infinity

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join