It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What are you doing to make extra money?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 12:08 AM
link   
Hello ATS its me again

We all know that many people are having a hard time in this economy. We hear the stories of the millions of foreclosures, and so many businesses that are closing their doors for good.Ive come to the conclusion earning extra cash is something we all need to do in today's economy

I live in the country and farm for a living but still I'm on a limited income..Side jobs are a great way to make extra cash with free time you have in the evening and weekends Ive been doing this for a few years and have been making a great income each month..

I sat down and wrote out what my skills are well, i really didn't have much of any and very little education but i knew i could do this with very little over head..I got a divorce last year and that left me on my own with tons of farm chores i knew i couldn't do alone so i knew i had to take care of that first so i hired a homeless man that i met through my Uncle..

I offered him room and board 3 square meals a day,in exchange for farm chores and odds jobs around the farm he took the job and has been with me for a year now so it worked out for both of us i wish more people could do this..

Ive been doing allot of bartering on craigslist.. A few weeks ago i bartered an old primitive ladder for a kindle fire the kindle was worth more then the ladder but you will find allot of people don't care Ive bartered for many different things and of course cash is always good..And the plus side of craigslist is its free advertising..Ive even found a bartering group in my area I'm sure there is one in every state..

On my property i have lots of downed wood so i went out with my small chainsaw and cut the wood up in small sizes for firewood then bundled it up six pieces per bundle and put a sign at the end of my driveway firewood for sale great for campfires there is a park near me and i knew people need firewood for there camp sites,Before long i had a going business for firewood it sold like hot cakes to campers..

Then i thought with all the property i have i could charge hunters to hunt deer in November only to hunting party's of 6 for 1 week for 600.00 per person, I put a add in the paper in the city's with in 2 hours of placing the add i had dozens of calls so now i have offers to hunt filled for 2 years,Of course with rules..

Another thing i do is baby sit the elderly ,There is allot old folks being taken care of by family and they like a night out..I don't give out meds just sit with them and basically chat and charge by the hour its allot of fun these people have allot of great story's and history to be learned i get calls to do this and it all started by word of mouth..

I plant a garden every year and sell vegetables,corn,tomatoes and cucumbers for pickling also homemade jams and jelly's all sold with just a sign at the end of the driveway..

There is so many ways to make extra money all you have to have is the want..

My newest endeavor is making pottery dishes,birdbaths and stepping stones from rhubarb leaves its so easy and fun all you need is cement,dirt,paint and the leaves and they turn out beautiful and sell well to the public you can make up to 50.00 per large leaves and more for the bird baths..

Below is a video on how to do this:

How to make a mold of a leaf, for using with concrete, or hypertufa. You can use the leaf for a bird bath, feeder, or just to add some life to your garden or home..

I felt this would be a good discussion,Making additional income is as legitimate a way to help with personal finances as saving money and I'm sure that the members here have a lot of experience to share with those that are looking to supplement their current income..

Tell us ways that you have made extra money in the past or ideas that you have heard about how others make money..Thanks for flying sugarcookie1 (peace)

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 12:15 AM
link   
reply to post by sugarcookie1

I just work a 9 to 5 job for my cash. The description of your background and how your making money reveals some good pragmatic making of decisions. Do you think you have natural business mind? I wouldnt of ever picked you as from a farm background from your avatar picture, i though mabey more like accountant or working in law firm.

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 12:16 AM
link   

Great thread.

I know people make extra cash by being the neighborhood dog walker or dog sitter. People shell out bucks to keep their pets comfy.

Btw...sorry you had to go through a divorce.

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 12:19 AM
link   

I work part time as a "standardized patient" for a medical school. We are given a script and a life map and on a one on one basis the med student is to give us a physical exam, verbal questions and discover what our illnes is. We also grade the students on their bedside manner.

Most of my fellow SPs like myself are actors and work either on stage or in films.

I also work as an actor in Law enforcement training. Training rookies how to deal with people in crisis a intervention setting, before they go out in the field.

These gigs pay very well but it does require some training.

I am also a "busker" on some weekend nites.

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 12:24 AM
link   
I save everything you can get money back from recycling. Vinegar bottles, yogurt cups, plus the normal cans glass bottles and plastic bottles. I sell my kids old clothes back to a second hand store that buys clothes that are still in near perfect condition.

I also grow food to save on grocery bills, haven't tried selling the surplus though.

Has anyone had good luck with e-bay? I know a couple people who do well, but I never have.

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 12:26 AM
link   
I do pc repair work on the side, mostly referrals and such.

Virus removal, setting up networks, upgrades, window installs.

20 here, 50 there, adds up.

Did a pc build that paid me 200 a few weeks ago( their price not mine)

Although with my recent move Ive lost the referrals lol, probably have to put an add in craigslist or something.
edit on 28-9-2012 by benrl because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 12:27 AM
link   
concrete leaves...cool....
I'm trading currencies, right now.....for others. the nex 12 hours will really be jumpin'.....
I'll teach this....anyone could do my system....

+1 more 
posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 12:48 AM
link   
I don't really have to do anything to earn extra cash, as i've won the Nigerian Lotto about 35 times in 4 years. Just waiting for the cheque's to arrive...........................................

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 12:49 AM
link   
reply to post by AthlonSavage

AthlonSavage
To be truthful no, i don't have a good natural business mind i just knew i had to do something or lose everything..

I was brought up on a farm and thats all i know.. I raise cattle mostly for a living but it wasn't enough to pay the bills on one income..

So i sat down one night with a paper and pen and began what i was going to do to pull out of the mess i was in i knew i could do it i just didn't know how..

It took time but it all worked out i think i have a angel watching over me at times..peace,sugarcookie1

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 12:51 AM
link   
I sell sweet potato bread at a 200% profit and can't bake enough.

Thinking of trying a little wholesale.

Peace

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 12:54 AM
link   
reply to post by solarstorm

solarstorm
Thank you for posting..dog walker or dog sitter is a great idea i bet people do pay good to do that..Be a great idea to do that if there going on vacation and don't want there pet in kennel for weeks plus it would be more comforting for the animals to be at home..peace,sugarcookie1

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 12:59 AM
link   
reply to post by olaru12

olaru12
That sounds like a great job and interesting also plus you get to meet allot of people..If you don't mind me asking what is a "busker" peace,sugarcookie1

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 01:05 AM
link   
reply to post by calstorm

calstorm
I save all the pop cans for recycling doesn't pay allot but every little bit helps..
I know growing your own food does help stretch the grocery's plus its healthy to eat..
Ive never done e bay it just looks like a hassle to me plus its not free but i know allot of people use ebay..peace,sugarcookie1

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 01:10 AM
link   
reply to post by benrl

benrl
20 here, 50 there does add up..PC repair is a good idea i wish i knew how to do that but I'm a puter dummy thats why people pay people like you

craigslist is a good place to get a good start its helped me out allot..peace,sugarcookie1

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 01:12 AM
link   
reply to post by GBP/JPY

GBP/JPY
I don't know what trading currencies is but it sounds like it keeps you busy..peace,sugarcookie1

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 01:14 AM
link   
reply to post by AussieDingus

AussieDingus
LOL thats a good one Ive won a few times also and still waiting for the checks..peace,sugarcookie1

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 01:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by GBP/JPY
concrete leaves...cool....
I'm trading currencies, right now.....for others. the nex 12 hours will really be jumpin'.....
I'll teach this....anyone could do my system....

Be careful with that one.
One of my old employers sold his company for millions, then got into that....
He's not a millionaire anymore.

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 01:18 AM
link   
reply to post by jude11

jude11
Everyone likes bakery goods including me..Ive never had sweet potato bread it sounds good though and i bet it does make you good money..Also do you have a good biscuit recipe one that you don't use yeast that is light and fluffy? peace,sugarcookie1

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 01:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by sugarcookie1
reply to post by jude11

jude11
Everyone likes bakery goods including me..Ive never had sweet potato bread it sounds good though and i bet it does make you good money..Also do you have a good biscuit recipe one that you don't use yeast that is light and fluffy? peace,sugarcookie1

Sugarcookie,

Give me a day or 2 and I'll post the most incredible, fluffy, light and delicious biscuit recipe you've ever had...without yeast.

Just busy right now.

Peace

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 02:41 AM
link   
I've been selling Suicide Bomber Halloween costumes, that I make at home, and ship to people over the Internet.
I started out doing it exclusively for Halloween, but I get lots of orders from Jews who want to attend family Barmitzvah's dressed as Arabs.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join