It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Judge throws out Occupy Chicago arrests

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 11:19 PM
link   

Judge throws out Occupy Chicago arrests

www.sfgate.com

CHICAGO (AP) — A judge on Thursday tossed out charges against 92 Occupy protesters arrested in a Chicago park last October, severely criticizing what the city had proudly held up as a better way for dealing with demonstrations.

Cook County Associate Judge Thomas Donnelly ruled that the city's curfew law was unconstitutional and that the city selectively enforced it. He noted police had cracked down on the protesters' tent camp when the park closed at 11 p.m., but had not moved against others who stayed in the same park past that hour at other times — including those who had come to se
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 11:19 PM
link   
this is the second or third court in different states that have found the evictions or arrests unconstitutional. people gave free assembly time limits and free speech sound limits.
a judge has found that in public you do have the right to peacefully assemble for the purpose of protest and protected speech "without time limits" and the arrests and evictions were used in a way that was against the prime law of the land.

i predict as more and more occupy encampments get there day in court, the more we will see the protests were legal,
they were also lawful and protected.

www.sfgate.com

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 01:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by XPLodER

i predict as more and more occupy encampments get there day in court, the more we will see the protests were legal,
they were also lawful and protected.

www.sfgate.com

Thats how common law works, a decision on a case sets a precedent and can be used (persuasive or binding) in other cases.

No crystal ball required, just basic knowledge of the common law system.

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 04:52 PM
link   
The majority of the naysayers for OWS were generally the same types decrying the dirty hippy's of the 60's. Of course, there were folks like myself who were and still are skeptical of OWS due to some of the crazy things being said by protesters, but the true political fight was fueled by modern day McCarthy's finding disdain for those dirty hippys who would be so disgusting as to poop on a cop car (or some other catchy visual pushed by MSM).

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 09:25 PM
link   
reply to post by XPLodER

Yes actually some good news zomg, i guess this helps pave the way for civil suits again windy city PD? These thugs in blue need to be held accountable for their crimes as well as their handlers. I wonder what the haters of OWS will have to say about this? Never mind who cares what they say.

edit on 28-9-2012 by DarthFazer because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 29 2012 @ 12:24 PM
link   
These rays of hope bring new vigor to my day. The search for truth and justice can be a depressing endeavor. Thanks for the lift! The goodness of human spirit will prevail, and these currents are just the birthing pains of a truly awakened society

posted on Sep, 29 2012 @ 12:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by bigfatfurrytexan
The majority of the naysayers for OWS were generally the same types decrying the dirty hippy's of the 60's. Of course, there were folks like myself who were and still are skeptical of OWS due to some of the crazy things being said by protesters, but the true political fight was fueled by modern day McCarthy's finding disdain for those dirty hippys who would be so disgusting as to poop on a cop car (or some other catchy visual pushed by MSM).

I also remember the media's efforts to link protesters to poop. For at least a week it seemed every other "news" story was concerned with "Where do they all poop? Local businesses inundated with poop! Also, let's not forget the smell of poop as we show images of the least attractive and most unconventional protesters we can find".

My sig has a link to a jaunty little video that I think sums up the Occupy movement and PTB's response pretty succinctly. (It's only a minute and a half.)

posted on Sep, 29 2012 @ 09:44 PM
link   
Many years ago I would have never thought there would be enough people to actually enforce laws against
freedom of speech, and protesting in general.
It is good to see that there are still people in positions of power that don't take the constitution as just
general guide lines.
Lets hope more people wake up to the fact that we could have our freedom dampened so easily.

top topics

join