10 Great Artists NOT in the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame...Why?

page: 1

join

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 11:13 PM
link   
What has shaped our younger days as much as rock and the pretenders to the throne? Nothing IMO.

These pioneers, rebels and just plain animals in some cases have not only shaped our music today but have led the battle cry in rebellion against the establishment and authority before many even knew they or their message existed.

The real shame is that many will fall into obscurity through the ages because of not being written about in the R&R hall of fame. Their vinyl, cassettes, 8-tracks, reel to reel ,cd's and yes even the digital copies will eventually disintegrate into obscurity.

Being in the hall of fame might at least guarantee some person wanting to save everything of our history for posterity but...

The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame was founded in 1983 to honor musicians who made a lasting contribution to rock and roll music. The first inductees into the hall were the pioneers of rock and roll, Little Richard, Chuck Berry, Elvis Presley, Buddy Holly and the first few groups of inductees certainly all belong.

The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame has a list of “500 Songs That Shaped Rock and Roll” and some of the artists that are not in the hall have recordings on that list which makes their exclusion from the hall even more inexplicable.

10. Chubby Checker...Really? Who hasn't had at least one Chubby Checker song on their play list?

Chubby Checker’s recording of Hank Ballard’s “The Twist” is the number one record on Billboard magazine’s “All-time Hot 100 top songs” list. (Ballard is in the hall.) It went to #1 on the charts twice, once in 1960, and later in 1962. “The Twist” came along at a time when many of the early pioneers of rock and roll (Chuck Berry and Little Richard) had faded from the charts, or, like Elvis Presley, were singing formula ballads.

9. Sister Rosetta Tharpe...

Little Richard has acknowledged was one of his main influences and Bob Dylan has acknowledged her as well. Why she isn’t in the hall is a total mystery.

8. Linda Ronstadt...Ok, I'm with this one but perhaps it's just a personal thing...

7. Steppenwolf...Oh C'mon...This is ridiculous!

4. The Doobie BrothersPlease....If at least one deserves the honor....

3. The Guess Who/Bachman Turner Overdrive...This band crossed over to not only the US but the World when no one believed it possible. Their songs are still popular today and even used on tv in movies, commercials....

More here:

listverse.com...

And NONE of these?

Deep Purple, Joe Cocker, KISS, The Electric Light Orchestra, The Moody Blues, Jethro Tull, Rush, Heart, Stevie Ray Vaughn, Emerson, Lake and Palmer, The Zombies, The B-52’s, Cheap Trick, Peter Frampton, Bon Jovi, Chaka Khan, Todd Rundgren, Bad Company, Yes, The Cars, Heart, Kool and the Gang, John Mayall, Procol Harum, K.C. and The Sunshine Band

Who the hell is making the choices that these great bands, artists and songwriters should be excluded from the Hall of fame?

I am actually shocked that these great artists are not acknowledged as being some of the most influential and important of Rock and Roll as we know it.

Anyhoo...just thought I'd throw it out there...

Peace

edit on 27-9-2012 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 11:26 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

Dear jude11,

Agreed. I do believe that Heart, Yes and Linda Ronstadt will all eventually get in. Oddly enough The Monkees were not on your list. They outsold the Beatles in their day. S&F.

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 11:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by AQuestion
reply to post by jude11

Dear jude11,

Agreed. I do believe that Heart, Yes and Linda Ronstadt will all eventually get in. Oddly enough The Monkees were not on your list. They outsold the Beatles in their day. S&F.

This list makes no sense whatsoever to me...

"Frampton Comes Alive" One of the greatest selling albims of all time.

"American Woman"...The Guess Who...Really?

Rush...Neil Pert. Only the greatest drummer...ever.

Stevie Ray Vaughn...One of the greatest Blues guitarists of all time? ?????

DAMN!

Peace

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 11:46 PM
link   

HERESY! OUTRAGE! INJUSTICE!

Yeah, I like Lemmy.

Fun thread Jude11!

~Heff

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 12:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hefficide

HERESY! OUTRAGE! INJUSTICE!

Yeah, I like Lemmy.

Fun thread Jude11!

~Heff

Ok,

I'm a MH Fan but to say that they belong in the H of F? ...Well Maybe.

What about Slayer then?

Nope, I mean the ones that shaped their genre and generation. Metallica would be the forefront of that flavor IMO.

Peace

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 12:16 AM
link   
reply to post by jude11

But if you asked Metallica who influenced them, they'd list several bands from the late seventies, such as Angelwitch, Motorhead, and Hawkwind.

Lemmy was in two of those bands ( Motorhead and Hawkwind ). He's not a genius writer, great singer ( or even good singer honestly ) - and he's a decent bass player, all things being equal... But seriously, the guy is literally the template for nearly every single hard rocker who came along for nearly 3 decades.

Slayer only predates Metallica by a couple of years and would also cite Motorhead as an influence.

As far as Metal goes, IMO, the two main contenders for the most influential early bands are Sabbath and Motorhead. And alot of punk pays homage to Motorhead as well.

It's glorious noise.

~Heff

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 12:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hefficide
reply to post by jude11

But if you asked Metallica who influenced them, they'd list several bands from the late seventies, such as Angelwitch, Motorhead, and Hawkwind.

Lemmy was in two of those bands ( Motorhead and Hawkwind ). He's not a genius writer, great singer ( or even good singer honestly ) - and he's a decent bass player, all things being equal... But seriously, the guy is literally the template for nearly every single hard rocker who came along for nearly 3 decades.

Slayer only predates Metallica by a couple of years and would also cite Motorhead as an influence.

As far as Metal goes, IMO, the two main contenders for the most influential early bands are Sabbath and Motorhead. And alot of punk pays homage to Motorhead as well.

It's glorious noise.

~Heff

Ok,

You got me on Sabbath...

Peace

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 01:04 AM
link   
reply to post by jude11

Well, The Rock Hall of fame is in Cleveland.

'Nuff said.

eh, maybe not, but I definitely think that there is something in the water here that makes people...for lack of a better term. Stupid.

You've brought up some valid points.

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 01:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by TDawgRex
reply to post by jude11

Well, The Rock Hall of fame is in Cleveland.

'Nuff said.

eh, maybe not, but I definitely think that there is something in the water here that makes people...for lack of a better term. Stupid.

You've brought up some valid points.

Cleveland might state that it owns R&R but it definitely doesn't.

So much music, so many Nations, So much influence,,,and yet so little acknowledgement,

Peace

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 02:24 AM
link   
reply to post by jude11

I remember watching Def Leppard in pubs/Gasthauses in Europe before they made it big. Great times.

I don't think that they are Hall of Fame material though.

I still don't get it why Rush has not made the list though.

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 02:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by TDawgRex
reply to post by jude11

I remember watching Def Leppard in pubs/Gasthauses in Europe before they made it big. Great times.

I don't think that they are Hall of Fame material though.

I still don't get it why Rush has not made the list though.

Agreed,

Rush should be there,

And let's not forget the most learned chords in R&R history with Smoke on the water...Deep Purple.

Every budding guitarist knows this progression. It's a necessary evil.

Damn!

Peace

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 03:36 AM
link   
How Jeff Lynne didn't make the cut is beyond me. The man was a musical genius albeit I guess ELO was considered progressive rock instead of rock 'n roll. Still, it bothers me haha. The fusion of rock with a 'light orchestra' was a great idea. It worked for the Beatles. Why no ELO?

And Jeff specifically asked us not to "bring him down"

edit on 28-9-2012 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 04:26 AM
link   
reply to post by NarcolepticBuddha

Never challenged nor denied as the greatest drummer in the World...

Neil Pert.

And maybe not Hall of fame but damn...

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 04:53 AM
link   
reply to post by jude11

Neil Pert is good. He's not my favorite drummer. But to be honest, I haven't really gotten into Rush (yet). I only know Neil Pert because I have been exposed to a lot of drummers.

I am totally jealous of his encapsulating wall of drums though. If there is such a thing as a personal heaven..being stuck in one of those things until I jam out a nice solo would be mine

This is the man who inspired me to learn drums:

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 07:00 AM
link   
For the prog bands that aren't in I'd say the biggest reason is Jann Wenner. For some reason he has a huge problem with prog. I'd be willing to bet the only reason Genesis is in is because of the Phil Collins stuff.

I have to say I'm surprised Judas Priest and Iron Maiden aren't in yet. Sure they're metal so the Hall of Fame is predisposed to hate them but at the same time they have transcended just being metal bands. Everyone knows at least one song from these bands and I'd be willing to bet that every rock fan likes at least one song from these bands.
edit on 9/28/2012 by Xcalibur254 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 08:13 AM
link   
The RnRHoF is governed by politics, just like everything else.

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 04:41 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

The Rock And Roll Hall of Fame has rules for inductees. From the Wiki:

Artists become eligible for induction in that category 25 years after the release of their first record. In order to be inducted, an artist must be nominated by a committee that selects anywhere from nine to a dozen candidates. Ballots are then sent to 500 "rock experts" who evaluate the candidates and vote on who should be inducted. The performers that receive the highest number of votes and more than 50 percent of the vote are inducted. In 2010, the number inducted was five. The rest of the categories are voted on by special committees.

en.wikipedia.org...
All is says is "eligible" to be inducted. No artist has the absolute right to be inducted.

That place is GREAT! I was there about 10 years ago, and actually touched Janis Joplin's 1965 Porcshe.

That fantastic artwork was done by none other than the Great Peter Max.
Hint for those who go there:
The Souvenir Shop is very, very expensive. Go in there first, before you are wowed by the displays. We dropped almost $400 in that place.

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 04:56 AM
link   
The Rock N Roll hall of fame is a joke. I have the utmost respect for everyone that's turned down their induction, including the Sex Pistols and Axl Rose.

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 07:24 PM
link   
I am not that big of a fan of KISS, but if you go by the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame's supposed criteria, this band should have been the inaugural inductee. Reading about who is in there is just a list of the personal tastes of those who vote who's in, with a few thrown out to make it look legit. Any self respecting musician wouldn't give a rats *** if they're in or not

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 05:30 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

Sorry Jude, I like you, but Kool and the Gang isn't rock-n-roll.

Someone else mentioned how well known musicians are as a criteria for getting in. I think it's more important how influential musicians are.

That's one question I guess: Which is more important in determining what good music is? Record sales or influencing other people to be musicians?

I nominate this man. You wanna stargaze? Go to one of his concerts. This is where other musicians go to see talent.

new topics

top topics

join