It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anyone watching Last Resort?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 10:48 PM
link   
Looks like a military conspiracy/takeover of the US Gov't. Orders to fire Trident IIIs on Pakistan, the captian refuses to lauch due to the orders coming from a"secondary command chain", requests D.C. verification and is fired upon by a fellow US boat.
Interesting scenario, a touch of "Crimson Tide" mixed in with the conspiracy crowd.
Many will say this is a real scenario. It well may be, yet maybe a military take-over wouldn't try to start a war. Shocked are you? remember it's those guys who've been there, done that. They don't like killing, they don't like being killed either.
Gawd, now they've launched a trident on DC.LOL.

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 11:01 PM
link   
reply to post by nwtrucker

I watched it. Interesting story/script, good directing and acting but not great, I'll probably watch it until it gets to sappy like TV invariably does.

Except for "Breaking Bad" the best show on TV ever. I was in 5 episodes of "BB" before it was finally canceled; usually playing a junky, homeless guy or other low life; Mostly background but one speaking part in the very first episode.

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 11:03 PM
link   

It's a commentary on the Military/Industrial/Security Complex.I can see them trying something like that.Facing budgets cuts they strike out at Pakistan hoping to start WWIII.

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 11:15 PM
link   
reply to post by olaru12

Your right, this one will last a bit then peter out. A bit of an insult to the U.S. military, though. I remember "surveys" being done on the military asking them if they would fire on US citizens. Regular forces said by 80% to 20% that they would not. Those numbers were reversed when Spec Force members where surveyed.

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 11:17 PM
link   
reply to post by mike dangerously

Hmm, maybe, maybe not. They've got family and kids just like the rest of us. Going nuke wipes out a bit too much to get an increase in stock values.LOL.

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 12:32 PM
link   

I guess artist license allows it, but, I doubt the navy would use a "Boomer" (missle boat) to exfil a seal team as the show starts with. I believe a shallow water extraction would risk the boomer and potentially losing the missles to an enemy. Also, I think the trident is a MIRV,(multiple warheads per missle) could they all be fired as one warhead without separation while still in flight? Who knows?
In the plot itself, the implication a military group deliberately starting a war within the military/Gov't itself. This also could be a president "ordering" it and using the military as a scapegoat. Also, not an unplausible scenario....by either party.LOL..
good thing the missle was detonated 200 miles off-shore,(outside the US economic protection zone) otherwise the EPA would have been pissed. You don't want those guys mad at you......

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 01:06 PM
link   

Google the USS Ohio and I believe the USS Nevada. They were reworked a few years ago as SSGN's and SEAL support is one of their primary missions.

The show sucks, but, then I expected nothing less from the Liberals at ABC.

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 04:04 PM
link   
I had heard about them. Are they still boomers, though? I doubt it. They are quiet boats, but I'd doubt they'd risk a sinking in shore waters and risk the tridents to falling into enemy hands.
The only reason I can see ABC doing this was to misparage the military. make them evil to the general populace just as has been done the "Gov't" in general, corporations, Christians, as nauseum.....

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 06:15 PM
link   
It overall wasn't bad. Some artistic license of course, as to be expected.

It's not on par with Walking Dead, Breaking Bad or Sons of Anarchy. But Shawn Ryan is the Executive Producer and he's done some really good shows in the past, The Shield and The Unit, so i'll give the show a chance.
edit on 28-9-2012 by bg_socalif because: fat fingers on the keyboard

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 06:26 PM
link   
big_socal, I agree. Where has The Unit gone? I can't even find it on cable the last couple of weeks....

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 06:27 PM
link   
It was interesting. I'll watch a few more episodes.

It sounds to me that, based on the TV news on briefly in the Captain's quarters that the President was in some sort of process of impeachment, but the Joint Chiefs were resigning??? I don't know if this is going to disparege whom yet......

The sub sets were pretty good, looks like they are on gimble to move around.

I don't know if they would use an Ohio or not to pick up SEALs. The Ohio and I think 3 others, as noted above were converted to SSGNs and two of the trident tubes were converted as SEAL "lockout" hatches to deploy larger groups of SEALs. So those converted Ohio's WOULD in fact do that. I beleive the rest of the tubes were converted to launch tomohawk cruise missiles. But I know there was talk at leaving 2-6 as ICBMs, especially with conventional missiles. Since the shows USS Colorado is fictional, we don't know exaclty what it's make up is. I am thinking for purposes of story telling it might be a hybrid SSBN/SSGN. A little hokie, but it's not something that COULDN"T be done with an Ohio class, heavily modified.

Anyways...I could see this show going really good.....or really bad........really quick.

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 08:02 PM
link   
reply to post by SrWingCommander

SrWingCommander, thanks for the input. Makes sense. I skipped a bit as I was posting while watching. LOL. I have to admit a bit of adrenaline leaked into the system...Much prefer it stays where it belongs....

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 08:04 PM
link   

Watched it on Hulu about a week ago, was a very entertaining show and I dug it, will probably keep watching it to see how it all plays out, this and Revolution are the only two new shows I know of that I'm willing to watch.

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 08:34 PM
link   
Yahoo had a full preview for the past couple of weeks, I saw the premiere there I think in the Entertainment section? I liked it a lot, and think I could dig this show. I mixed up my airing dates, I thought it was supposed to air today, d'oh. I suck at remembering when things air on broadcast TV. Guess I'll have to sniff around online and see if anywhere is going to have encores after live airings, I can't count on myself to watch live anymore...

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 08:54 PM
link   

They're still Ohio Class subs. If they were to fall into the wrong hands, they could be of great benefit in teaching how to make an extremely quiet submarine.

posted on Sep, 29 2012 @ 12:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Zaphod58

self-destruct protocols?.....

posted on Sep, 29 2012 @ 03:12 AM
link   

Unless they plan on blowing them up, which would just be insane, then littoral ops would leave them in relatively shallow water. Someone with deep dive capabilities would still be able to learn interesting things about them.

posted on Sep, 29 2012 @ 11:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lysergic

Watched it on Hulu about a week ago, was a very entertaining show and I dug it, will probably keep watching it to see how it all plays out, this and Revolution are the only two new shows I know of that I'm willing to watch.

I like Revolution as well. It has an interesting premise and i've liked it so far

I could see gangs, militia's and criminal elements taking over in a scenario like that.

posted on Sep, 29 2012 @ 11:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by nwtrucker
big_socal, I agree. Where has The Unit gone? I can't even find it on cable the last couple of weeks....

They did show it here on "My13", a 2 hr block every Sat evening, but replaced it with "The Closer" a couple weeks ago. The channel "CLOO" shows a 5 hr block every so often early Sunday mornings. But it's pretty much disappeared, as you said.

posted on Sep, 29 2012 @ 05:03 PM
link   
reply to post by bg_socalif

Re revolution, more to worry about from "neighbours" than organized groups like militia or criminal groups. I could envision small towns organizing a co-operative defense and food supply from mauraders, etc. They could also have no further agenda than immediate survival. In other words, good guys....unless you trespass.........

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join